What is the real number of illegal border crossings?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Byron York @ Human Events

Security along the U.S. border with Mexico is perhaps the key factor in the debate over comprehensive immigration reform. Those who believe the border is mostly secure already are more inclined to support the plan of the bipartisan Gang of Eight in the Senate — legalization first, followefollowed by enhanced security. Those who believe the border is still far from secure are more likely to oppose the Gang of Eight’s approach, insisting that heightened security measures be in place before the nation’s estimated 11 million illegal immigrants are legalized.

Interesting read @ What is the real number of illegal border crossings?

It seems to have stopped ... but only due to the economic crisis in the USA.

I have a the theory that most of the illegal mexicn immigration was triggered by NAFTA.

If you take a look at this chart you'll see the migration to the USA skyrocketed after the NAFTA was signed in 1992 and it seems to have stopped due to the economic crisis in the USA.

Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero?and Perhaps Less | Pew Hispanic Center

Why ? I think this happened because somehow the NAFTA imposed harsher conditions in the living of Mexican peasants.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V83bzXvyl64]2008 Goldman Prize for North America: Jesús León Santos - YouTube[/ame]

I'm making a wild guess here , but funding for projects like the one stablished by Jesus Leon Santos and keeping the corn out of the NAFTA might yield better results than tightening border security.

The immigrant numbers are steady right now , but they will increase once the economy of the USA has recovered.

Forum List

Back