What is the hammerhead bomb?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
There was a movie on the Sony channel where in some African virus outbreak, the pentagon dropped a "non-nuclear 5-mile hammerhead bomb" on the place. What is a hammerhead bomb?

And is there a bomb that is not nuclear but has a 5-mile radius?

What is a hammerhead bomb?

Hammerhead bomb sounds like it was invented for the movie.

No, there isn't a non-nuclear weapon with a five mile radius.

I wonder what is the widest area you can cover with one bomb with today's technology, excluding nuclear. Would the cluster bomb fall in the wide area category?

We had 15K bombs that had to be delivered by cargo planes. It was on a pallet. When dropped, it opened a parachute. The Plunger was about 10 to 15 feet below the payload. Here are the damage areas for that. The same goes for the 20K bomb we use today.

100yds, smooth. Everything is consumed or thrown out of the 100 yd circle. Nicknamed "Instant Helo Pads".

Out to mile, it kills anything living due to either concussion or debree thrown outward.

Out to 5 miles, it cause bleeding from noses, eyes and ears. While not lethal, it's either a temporary incompacitation or a permanent one like loss of hearing.

Sounds like the movie expanded on an already nasty piece of work. But Bombers can't handle these things. It's much larger than the bomb bays and would hang well below the landing gear if mounted on a pylon. But in the movies, you can do anything.

We had 15K bombs that had to be delivered by cargo planes. It was on a pallet. When dropped, it opened a parachute. The Plunger was about 10 to 15 feet below the payload. Here are the damage areas for that. The same goes for the 20K bomb we use today.

100yds, smooth. Everything is consumed or thrown out of the 100 yd circle. Nicknamed "Instant Helo Pads".

Out to mile, it kills anything living due to either concussion or debree thrown outward.

Out to 5 miles, it cause bleeding from noses, eyes and ears. While not lethal, it's either a temporary incompacitation or a permanent one like loss of hearing.

Sounds like the movie expanded on an already nasty piece of work. But Bombers can't handle these things. It's much larger than the bomb bays and would hang well below the landing gear if mounted on a pylon. But in the movies, you can do anything.

Thank you. This is sooo interesting. Looks like there is plenty of room for engineering development in this field. Would be interesting to work on such a project at college.

Thank you. This is sooo interesting. Looks like there is plenty of room for engineering development in this field. Would be interesting to work on such a project at college.

After seeing the results of a 15k Versus a 20K, there really isn't any difference. Once you get so large it doesn't do any good to make it larger. And if it can be delivered by a C-130 versus needing a C-5 to deliver it, just where do you draw the line when very little is gained by increasing the size.

We don't drop the 20K bombs these days. It just covers way too much area in destruction. And if we were to be dropping those in the Middle East, very quickly, we would be accused of using an inhumane weapon. It's just one step below a small nuke in damage. I, for one, never have seen the need for them. And I come from an age that they were actually used.

After seeing the results of a 15k Versus a 20K, there really isn't any difference. Once you get so large it doesn't do any good to make it larger. And if it can be delivered by a C-130 versus needing a C-5 to deliver it, just where do you draw the line when very little is gained by increasing the size.

We don't drop the 20K bombs these days. It just covers way too much area in destruction. And if we were to be dropping those in the Middle East, very quickly, we would be accused of using an inhumane weapon. It's just one step below a small nuke in damage. I, for one, never have seen the need for them. And I come from an age that they were actually used.

So it looks like developing an "intelligent" cluster bomb of smaller bombs may be better then. By intelligent I mean the bombs could communicate with each other during flight, using the easy to get wifi technology, to position themselves at a pre programmed constellation, so that you can control the shape and size of the target area.

Also, I think those war laws of civilian protection are stupid.

So it looks like developing an "intelligent" cluster bomb of smaller bombs may be better then. By intelligent I mean the bombs could communicate with each other during flight, using the easy to get wifi technology, to position themselves at a pre programmed constellation, so that you can control the shape and size of the target area.

Cluster bombs are also a problem. Not all of them go off. It makes a very unsafe area for the good guys coming in to occupy that space and for civilians for decades afterwards.

It's only stupid when it's on the other side. When it's on your side, that's inhumane big time. It's called Collateral Damage. And you have to try and minimize that as much as possible. Otherwise there is little difference between us and ISIS.

Cluster bombs are also a problem. Not all of them go off. It makes a very unsafe area for the good guys coming in to occupy that space and for civilians for decades afterwards.

It's only stupid when it's on the other side. When it's on your side, that's inhumane big time. It's called Collateral Damage. And you have to try and minimize that as much as possible. Otherwise there is little difference between us and ISIS.

If cluster bombs have a high failure rate as of going off at the right time, then this is even more opportunity for engineering projects. I take it most cluster bombs are fully mechanical designs, no programmed timer or sync mechanism, so it would make an excellent high school project to design firing pins for bombs that have zero failure rates. We can achieve this in revolvers and rifles, by considering the mechanical shapes of the pins, the compaction of the powder, and overall system design. It is possible to make a rifle all by hand and thus ensure that it always goes off the exact way you want it.

I think it would make an excellent maths class, to study the system of a cluster bomb, the failure history of each of its components, and identify the design steps and manufacturing steps that lead to such failures, then propose changes to them. This work would come for free, because we do things at class for the subject itself, not for money.

How processes fail ... I could even sell such a project to a few girls here too.

If cluster bombs have a high failure rate as of going off at the right time, then this is even more opportunity for engineering projects. I take it most cluster bombs are fully mechanical designs, no programmed timer or sync mechanism, so it would make an excellent high school project to design firing pins for bombs that have zero failure rates. We can achieve this in revolvers and rifles, by considering the mechanical shapes of the pins, the compaction of the powder, and overall system design. It is possible to make a rifle all by hand and thus ensure that it always goes off the exact way you want it.

I think it would make an excellent maths class, to study the system of a cluster bomb, the failure history of each of its components, and identify the design steps and manufacturing steps that lead to such failures, then propose changes to them. This work would come for free, because we do things at class for the subject itself, not for money.

Not to discourage you. But sometimes something is just good enough and it's already paid for. It's your job to build a better and cheaper mousetrap.

How processes fail ... I could even sell such a project to a few girls here too.

So it looks like developing an "intelligent" cluster bomb of smaller bombs may be better then.
New generations of cluster bombs are already smarter than you think. CBU-97 (and the guided version CBU-105) release 40 submunitions that disperse evenly over a wide area searching for targets (they are slowed with parachutes) using IR and laser rangefinder, then if target is found fires a kinetic penetrator to destroy it (tank armor is thinnest on top) otherwise self destructs in air. There is also a second level of civilian casualty avoidance, in addition to self-destruct in air there is a timer than renders the submunition inert.

So it looks like developing an "intelligent" cluster bomb of smaller bombs may be better then.
New generations of cluster bombs are already smarter than you think. CBU-97 (and the guided version CBU-105) release 40 submunitions that disperse evenly over a wide area searching for targets (they are slowed with parachutes) using IR and laser rangefinder, then if target is found fires a kinetic penetrator to destroy it (tank armor is thinnest on top) otherwise self destructs in air. There is also a second level of civilian casualty avoidance, in addition to self-destruct in air there is a timer than renders the submunition inert.

This has just occurred to me. How much does the pentagon spend on the purchase of a CBU-105 or a CBU-97? Is it expensive? I wonder where you can find such data.

A CBU-97 costs 360k. I'm not sure on CBU-105 but that is basically a CBU-97 with a guidance kit similar to a JDAM. Probably less than $25k more.

Might sound like a lot, but it is a lot of bang for the buck versus an armored division and has proven a USAF favorite for SEAD role. In SEAD you are attacking soft targets (radars, missile launchers) so weapons with submunitions work well. US Navy really likes JSOW for same reason, JSOW releases submunitions and has a standoff glide range of 60 miles so it's a natural for SEAD.

Look up a MOAB bomb. Both the US and Russia have thermobaric weapons that kill mostly by pressure wave (although the blast will definitely ruin your day). Thermobaric weapons use a combination of fuel sprayed into the air along with a few goodies such as powdered aluminum to really have an explosion. Yields are around 40 tons of TNT. Blast kill zone is approximately 500 meters.

Look up a MOAB bomb. Both the US and Russia have thermobaric weapons that kill mostly by pressure wave (although the blast will definitely ruin your day). Thermobaric weapons use a combination of fuel sprayed into the air along with a few goodies such as powdered aluminum to really have an explosion. Yields are around 40 tons of TNT. Blast kill zone is approximately 500 meters.

Basically, the MOAB is a 21K explosive bomb that is sat guided. The old 15K daisy cutter was a dead fall and used a plunger it dropped below itself. Both cover about a 100 meter blast area with some real nasty things happening outside the blast area.

The FOAD (father of all bombs) from Russia uses a thermobaric explosive of about 7.8 tons. This is one really nasty piece of work. There are questions on the Russian Claims but most of those questions were answered in 2007 by the bomb itself.

Both bombs are claimed to be 1500 for the MOAB and 3000 blast meters but they are both closer to 100 and 300. It appears that they are rating the concussion area as part of the blast area where both of these monsters will be about a mile including the concussion area.

If they US were to make a Thermobaric 20K bomb it would surpass the FOAD but why bother. Get hit by either and you are post toasties.

The BLU-118/B is a warhead only. Meaning, it can be mounted on just about anything including the F-15E AGM-130. Giving it a 40 mile range and is launched at very low altitude making the F-15E a very hard target to hit.

Why anyone would build a bigger thermobaric bomb is beyond reason. It's used for hard targets like reinforced bunkers, underground caves and such.

There are 4 types of nuclear weapons --

- A-bombs

- H-bombs

- N-bombs

- EMP bombs

Forum List

Back