What is Privilege?

Privilege is wearing $200 sneakers when you’ve never had a job

Privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance

Privilege is the ability to go march against, and protest against anything that triggers you, without worrying about calling out of work and the consequences that accompany such behavior

Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or school you don’t pay for

Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you don’t have a water bill, where rising property taxes and rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table,

Privilege is not having to worry about a cop mistaking your apartment for hers and getting murdered in cold blood.

Really? Then 99.9999% of the entire country has privilege.

A full 100% had it until some white lady iced a black dude and got a slap on the wrist for it. But, yet again, just when you think maybe we turned the corner on this sort of thing, the white lady got 10 years for a MURDER conviction.

Are you going to pretend that, if the roles were reversed, the black guy would have gotten such a light sentence as well?

Privilege is the ability to go march against, and protest against anything that triggers you, without worrying about calling out of work and the consequences that accompany such behavior

Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or school you don’t pay for

Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you don’t have a water bill, where rising property taxes and rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table,

Privilege is opioid addicted white trash with maga hats thinking white American cares about them over productive people of all colors.

Priveledge is

having health insurance, and knowing you won’t be forced to choose between medical care and food.

not have to worry about being turned down for a job interview because you have a “black sounding” name

not having to worry about the lead content in the water your children are drinking

having paid sick leave...so you don’t have to make the choice between going to work sick...or losing pay

knowing your health insurance covers birth control

being able to let your child play outside, with worrying about the drug deals going on at the corner...or that a gang may decide to make a point with a drive by shooting

not having metal detectors at tbe entrances to your child’s school

having parents who can pay your college tuition

inheritence

Do you believe White people don't go through these same problems? Please Coyote, please say no, because you know that white privilege is a farce, and any assertion of the sort is not true.

I don’t know if it is a farce or not. It is a concept I am struggling to understand, with getting defensive, which I do, before deciding what I think.

But I do know that, as a group, black people face more challenges to prosperity than white people as a group. As individuals, we are all over the board.

One example is in the OP itself. A list of black stereotypes. The welfare queen. Yet I live in a majority white state that is very poor. I don’t see those stereotypes (even though they are equally applicable) applied to poor whites as a race.

Sure we do. A welfare queen is any woman who would rather live on welfare, than work. Nothing in that implies color. A white women on welfare because she refuses to work, is a welfare queen.

Now admittedly black women on welfare is a stereotype. You want to know why stereotypes exist? I'm not sure offhand what the numbers are today, but I would assume they are a bit lower. However, in the 1990s nearly 40% of all black households were on welfare.

Screenshot_2020-07-07 p200047d2g157001 jpg (JPEG Image, 495 × 321 pixels).png

Now when you consider the fact that because of the high levels of single parents in the black community, and that most black men did not qualify for welfare, unlike black women with children did... the result was on average if you met an unmarried black women, she was on welfare.

That's not the stereotype, that's the statistical fact-o-type.

And that created the stereotype.

The solution to stereotypes, is never be on welfare. Then you don't have that stereotype anymore. Honestly, this is the weirdest part of this conversation. If no black women where ever popping out kids while unmarried, and living on welfare.... it's not like people would just randomly make that up.

I have a relative who got into some trouble, and the family basically said 'go on welfare, and be disowned. Get your butt to work'. And she did. She got a job, and never went on welfare.

Family values matter greatly. If your parents have been on welfare, typically the kids follow in their footsteps.

Priveledge is

having health insurance
Funny, I pay for that, I don't just "have" it.
having paid sick leave
My boss doesn't provide that, nor is required to.
Nope, didn't get that either.
inheritence
Not that I expect anything on that, but should the state have what people have worked all their lives for to support the surviving members of their family?
Priveledge is having the luxury of being able to move.
Oh please, no one is a prisoner of their circumstances, and Everyone is free to better themselves, their education and economic situation.
They are only prisoners of their lack of effort.

Channeling a little bit of Biden here "If you didn't get that privilege then YOU ARE NOT WHITE!"

Funny I didn't get most of what he said either. But I'm white, so I must have without knowing it.

Priveledge is

having health insurance
Funny, I pay for that, I don't just "have" it.
having paid sick leave
My boss doesn't provide that, nor is required to.
Nope, didn't get that either.
inheritence
Not that I expect anything on that, but should the state have what people have worked all their lives for to support the surviving members of their family?
Oh please, no one is a prisoner of their circumstances, and Everyone is free to better themselves, their education and economic situation.
They are only prisoners of their lack of effort.

1. you have it, you can afford it, it is a privelege
2. therefore it is a privilege
3. therefore it is a privilege
4. Not sure what the state has to do with this
5. Being able to move is a privelege. Not everyone can afford to.

(1) But anyone can get a job, and use the money they earn to pay for insurance.

So everyone has that 'privilege'? If everyone has that 'privilege' then it isn't a privilege.

(2)But you claimed it was white privilege to have sick leave. He's white, and doesn't get it. How do you say "therefore it is privilege", when he's not getting this "privilege"?

None of what you are saying makes sense.

Priveledge is

having health insurance, and knowing you won’t be forced to choose between medical care and food.

not have to worry about being turned down for a job interview because you have a “black sounding” name

not having to worry about the lead content in the water your children are drinking

having paid sick leave...so you don’t have to make the choice between going to work sick...or losing pay

being able to let your child play outside, with worrying about the drug deals going on at the corner...or that a gang may decide to make a point with a drive by shooting

inheritence
Your point seems to be that privilege is more a function of economic class than race.
My point was a response to the OP’s list.
Even so, the items you list have more to do with economic class than with race.

And a disproportionate number of blacks are in the lower income brackets.

Choices. People make choices. Anyone that refuses to work, will be in a lower income bracket. Anyone that refuses to get an education, will be in a lower income bracket. Anyone that lives on government assistance, will be in a lower income bracket. Anyone that engages in crime, will be in a lower income bracket.

That's nothing to do with white privilege, or being black. People make choice. Those choices have consequences.

White people that makes bad choices, have the same results.

Privilege is getting pulled over by the cops and never wondering if you are going to die.
It is? If you do as told and are respectful you leave alive 99.9% of the time. Now don't make me go get the ACTUAL facts on the race of people who are killed by cops because its not gonna go in your favor.
Putting the responsibility for ending police brutality entirely on black people is stupid. At some point you have to turn to the police and ask what they are willing to do. For decades the answer has been "nothing at all". That can has been kicked down the road generation after generation to where we are now and fools like you are acting like things are changing too fast.

This is dumb. Investors make money, because they are investors. They don't have to "ensure he process will be in their favor".

If you make it so it isn't profitable, they will move their money elsewhere, just like any normal human being would do.

If you had an investment, and the government changed the law so your investment no longer had a favorable return... what would you do? The same as anyone else. You would move your investment elsewhere, where they have good return on the investment.

It's such a weird concept to complain and b!tch and moan about other people doing, what you would do.

Yeah, no, I'm afraid it's a bit more complex than that, Andy.

No, it's not.

Anyone that invests wisely will end up wealthy.

You know that super elite janitors in the world, oppressing the poor, with their 6-figure incomes for cleaning toilets?

No, me neither.

Why didn't the wealthy prevent that guy from becoming a multi-millionaire?

Because A: they don't care, and B: they couldn't if they wanted to.

The reason wealthy people are wealthy is because they invest wisely. Anyone that does this will end up wealthy. Anyone. Absolutely anyone.

Priveledge is

inheritence

Then get a job, and pay for good health insurance like the other 90% of the country.

Then don't have a black sounding name.

Asians do this all the time. Had a lady from Korea I believe, whose name was "Waichun". Here in America, she went by..... Jessica. On her job application she put "Jessia Waichun (insert non-public last name)". She had no problem getting a job.

Get a name that will help you land a job. Join the culture. Blend in with society, and succeed.

This is why Asians have a higher standard of living and success than Whites or blacks.

I don't know of any example where blacks had to worry about lead, but whites did not. Last I checked, the water utility connected to everyone. I don't know of a single city where there is a black public water utility, and a white public water utility.

Get a job that has paid sick leave. Better yet, do what I did, and always have an emergency fund at all times, so if you do get sick, and have a short pay check, it doesn't break you.

Oh for heaven sakes.... really? That's your claim is that white people have access to birth control, but black people don't? False. First, ridiculous. Second, forcing insurance to cover absolutely everything, is why insurance is so expensive. Third, the cost of a pack of condoms is less than $10.

If you are so incredibly poor, that you can't afford $10... then you shouldn't be screwing around anyway, you should be a job.

I agree with this. The problem with bringing that topic up, is that the black people right now, are fighting the police, in support of the criminals.

That's not "white privilege", that's black people and left-wingers destroying their own communities.

Left-wingers are causing drive by shootings and gangs, and drug deals, to not be dealt with. That's not because they are black, that's because left-wingers are evil terrible people that support criminals, and hate the police, just like in that video.

I can think of a dozen white families, where none of their kids will have their college tuition paid for.

And that's just those I know.

Besides that, all the evidence shows that those who work their way through college, do better than those with a free ride.

inheritence

That's mythology. The vast number of whites, don't get much in the way of inheritance.

Hold on a second. Let’s back up a moment. Names.

African Americans, who have been in this country from the beginning should change their names so white people can’t identify them as black and reject them from employment? Why exactly is the onus on THEM to accommodate to bigotry?

You don't have to. You can do anything you want. You want to be successful in America? I'd suggest you get a name that will improve your chances of being hired and promoted.

But you don't have to. You can sit around, and scream and wail, and whine about bigotry and die poor.

That's fine. That is a reasonable logical choice that you can make.

My suggestion if you want to live a good successful life.... act like people who are successful. Asians come here, with names like Waichun, and go by the name "Jessica". I actually know many Asians that have their name, and than their American name.

And again... Asians have a higher standard of living on average, than even Whites.

So you can do whatever you want. Do whatever you want. You don't need anyone's permission.

But do you want to sit around screaming how life isn't perfectly fair until you die?
... or do you want to succeed in life?

Your choice. Do whatever. I'm just a messenger.

Priveledge is

inheritence
Name is your parents choice so blame them or change it
Letting your kids outside in a shit neighborhood is a personal choice, MOVE.
Not having metal detectors well if blacks weren't so damn violent wouldn't need them!
No that's not privilege that means your parents worked hard and have good jobs and can afford that. I am white and my kids know I can't afford that so they better get scholarships.

Priveledge is not having to move, not having to change your name.

I know plenty of whites that moved.

And blacks can move.

I don't understand how you can call not having to change your name "white privilege" when you choose the name.

A white person that had a ridiculous name, is less likely to get a job, just as much a black person with a ridiculous name.

Pick a name that fits the country you are in. It's not that difficult.

No. It isn’t a “ridiculous” name, it is a name that sounds culturally African American. So...culturally white names are ok....

If you live in Africa, and want an African name, and you will likely end up doing well... because you are in Africa, and have an African name.

This is why Asians when they come to the US, get an American name. So they can succeed... which is why they do better than White people in American culture. They are not in their former Asian culture, and they know it, which is why they make the wise and economically successful choice of blending in with American culture.

I think those names are ridiculous, and I have a right to my opinion, just like you do. Freedom of speech works both ways.

Why do I think it is ridiculous? Because you have zero in common with Africans. Zero. I've been around Africans my whole life. Most of them were immigrants. The difference in culture, outlook, family values, crime, drugs, everything... is entirely different.

I've never met an American black man, that reminded me of anything from Africa.

And I never met an African immigrant that reminded me of anything of American Blacks.

Having some goofy name, doesn't make you any more African, than calling myself Saito would make me Japanese.

All that does is alienate you from the culture you are in, while not making you any more like the culture you are not. That is dumb. Period. That is absolutely stupid.

Again, my opinion. Don't care what you think.

You can do whatever you want. Everyone can. Free country. But freedom of choice, doesn't mean freedom of consequence. I have the freedom to blow every single dollar I earn on Alcohol. That doesn't mean I have the freedom from the consequences of foreclosure on my house, and repo the car, and losing my family, and ending up homeless.

Similarly, you have the freedom to do whatever you want with your name. That doesn't mean you have the freedom to force people to hire you, when have some name they can't pronounce that looks goofy, like La'quisha.

By the way, the same is true of Whites. You name your white kid "Saxby" and don't be surprised if they have a little harder time finding a job.

Privilege is not having to worry about a cop mistaking your apartment for hers and getting murdered in cold blood.

A full 100% had it until some white lady iced a black dude and got a slap on the wrist for it. But, yet again, just when you think maybe we turned the corner on this sort of thing, the white lady got 10 years for a MURDER conviction.

Are you going to pretend that, if the roles were reversed, the black guy would have gotten such a light sentence as well?

Depends doesn't it? Did the black guy have a criminal history? I actually know a black guy, that shot and killed an unarmed white boy "in cold blood", and they acquitted him.

And rightly so. The kid at age 16, had years of criminal activity, and was in a car without a permit, at 1 AM, and was throwing rocks at homes. The guy though he was shooting at homes.

I don't know the details of your specific case. Regardless....

My point was, you act like this is white privilege that happens across 330 Million plus people.. and you have one.... ONE example that you believe supports your case.

I don't know if it does or not. But even if there was gross injustice in that case.... 330 Million people. One example. Does one single example, establish a pattern of "white privilege" in your mind?

Because it does not in my mind. You need a large scale pattern. Not one example you just assume is true universally. That's not scientific data, that's over blown opinion.

Privilege is opioid addicted white trash with maga hats thinking white American cares about them over productive people of all colors.

So you are admitting fully that there is no real privilege, only an opinion in the minds of people?

I agree.

Depends doesn't it? Did the black guy have a criminal history? I actually know a black guy, that shot and killed an unarmed white boy "in cold blood", and they acquitted him.

And rightly so. The kid at age 16, had years of criminal activity, and was in a car without a permit, at 1 AM, and was throwing rocks at homes. The guy though he was shooting at homes.

My point was, you act like this is white privilege that happens across 330 Million plus people.. and you have one.... ONE example that you believe supports your case.

I don't know if it does or not. But even if there was gross injustice in that case.... 330 Million people. One example. Does one single example, establish a pattern of "white privilege" in your mind?

Because it does not in my mind. You need a large scale pattern. Not one example you just assume is true universally. That's not scientific data, that's over blown opinion.

Oh my goodness.
  • The guy was at his apartment
  • An off duty cop came home after her shift and mistakenly entered the wrong apartment.
  • She saw a black man in what she thinks was her apartment and shot him. Dead.
  • For taking a man's life--she was convicted of murder; she got 10 years. There are people in Texas Prisons right now who got 4 times as much for burglary of a habitation where NOBODY was killed.
That is privilege.

Oh my goodness.
  • The guy was at his apartment
  • An off duty cop came home after her shift and mistakenly entered the wrong apartment.
  • She saw a black man in what she thinks was her apartment and shot him. Dead.
  • For taking a man's life--she was convicted of murder; she got 10 years. There are people in Texas Prisons right now who got 4 times as much for burglary of a habitation where NOBODY was killed.
That is privilege.

But did the person intend to kill an innocent person? No. She made a mistake, by her own admission. I remember this story.

Did she have a life long history of crime? No.

There are many factors that go into sentencing. One is, do you believe the person when released will be a blight on society?

That does matter. She was not 'intending' to kill innocent people. So logically when she pays her dues for her crime, she won't be a burden on society.

A guy that has been in and out of prison a dozen times, who has a 30 year history of crime, that was on parole when they burglarized someone... that person when they get out, is going to be a burden on society again. They have a long long massive history to prove it.

Now if you can point to an identical situation with a black man, who did exactly what that officer did... and had an identical criminal history (or lack of any), and was sentenced to 30 years, while the identical case with white chick was only 10.....

Now you have a point. Now you can show that there is racism in the laws.

But... they have already done such research and found... no evidence of racism or bias. People who get longer sentences than others, do so because they have other factors that support such sentences.

Forum List

Back