What is Gerrymandering? Is there a solution?

Hardly the case. Its only been in the last 20 years that the GOP has had a gerrymander advantage if want to call it that. The dems have and will use in the future just like the GOP when the opportunity presents itself.

Normally I would agree, if the Democrats only had a slight advantage without gerrymandering.

I believe it is something like over 60% of Americans lean Democrat, and they have majority support on most issues like abortion, gun control, ect.

Only to a certain point. Try and push partial birth abortion and see how far you get.

Repubs couldn't get elected without it.

They have even admitted that.

Yeah right, that's why you regressives have used the courts to cut out minority districts. They give us real smart people in congress like shelia jackass lee. that dipshit that thought Guam would tip over, waters and many more morons.
^doesn't get gerrymandering tactics.

Look up packing and cracking, and why it is done.

there are algorithms written and created that can separate the districts, without political posturing.

Yeah right, that's why you regressives have used the courts to cut out minority districts. They give us real smart people in congress like shelia jackass lee. that dipshit that thought Guam would tip over, waters and many more morons.

I know exactly what it means, I also know you can bet someone will challenge redistricting in the courts, usually regressives to carve out minority districts in a red state, because that's the only way they can get regressives elected. If I had my way they would make districts as square as possible to get equal numbers of eligible citizens in them. They would be determined by numbers, nothing else.

How do you stop it?

If you had a consolidated Democrat government, they could potentially write new laws to reduce it.

The Republicans would never support something like that, since it would destroy them.

The demrats would just do their own gerrymandering like they always do when they control the process.
The courts will declare it unconstitutional and set standards for setting districts

We could draw equally sized squares and make them permanent.

there are algorithms written and created that can separate the districts, without political posturing.

I know but somebody is going to cry foul no matter where the lines are drawn. You can't take the politics out of the process. It is impossible. Gerrymandering is a convenient excuse to hate the other guy when you don't have anything substantial. It's silly talk. Too bad voters are idiots.

I know exactly what it means, I also know you can bet someone will challenge redistricting in the courts, usually regressives to carve out minority districts in a red state, because that's the only way they can get regressives elected. If I had my way they would make districts as square as possible to get equal numbers of eligible citizens in them. They would be determined by numbers, nothing else.

If you did that then someone would complain that you did that to your advantage. You'd be accused of gerrymandering just because you were on the committee that redrew the lines.

Imagine arresting people for doing their job. It's fucking retarded.

I know but somebody is going to cry foul no matter where the lines are drawn. You can't take the politics out of the process. It is impossible. Gerrymandering is a convenient excuse to hate the other guy when you don't have anything substantial. It's silly talk. Too bad voters are idiots.
Yes, you can take the Politics out of it, this is precisely what the Algorithm does...google it! ;)

How do you stop it?

If you had a consolidated Democrat government, they could potentially write new laws to reduce it.

The Republicans would never support something like that, since it would destroy them.

The demrats would just do their own gerrymandering like they always do when they control the process.
The courts will declare it unconstitutional and set standards for setting districts

The courts have already ruled on gerrymandering and they have repeatedly found it as not being unconstitutional unless the gerrymandering was to disenfranchise a certain racial group

The way to fix gerrymandering is to take the job of drawing districts away from the politicians and put it in the hands of the citizens

really?
you should check out Maryland and see how the democrats fucked up our state to make sure no republican vote would ever count.
generally when its done in such a damaging way, its the democrats doing it.

Forum List

Back