What does your username mean?

toobfreak
You don’t know anything about astronomy

I'm a fucking astronomer, moron. I've taught it. I still teach it.

No matter. I was going to tell you anyway. A Quasar is a misnomer from the days they thought these were real objects. Turns out that a "quasar" is just a name for a unique class of object and situation where an AGN galaxy (a galaxy with an active galactic nucleus) is just by happenstance pointing the right way.

You see, all stable, organized galaxies have black holes in their center, and occasionally, in-falling matter gets gobbled up by them. Some of that matter gets ejected at relativistic speeds in opposite directions thrown away by strong polar magnetic fields, and if by coincidence, one of those polar jets happens to be aimed right at the Earth, we see it as very "bright."

Originally, astronomers assumed these were superluminous objects spewing light that bright in all directions, which was a physics law violation. We now understand they only appear bright along the two discreet axes of the two polar jets.

And that is what a quasar really is.

Obumma.

I'm a fucking astronomer, moron. I've taught it. I still teach it.

No matter. I was going to tell you anyway. A Quasar is a misnomer from the days they thought these were real objects. Turns out that a "quasar" is just a name for a unique class of object and situation where an AGN galaxy (a galaxy with an active galactic nucleus) is just by happenstance pointing the right way.

You see, all stable, organized galaxies have black holes in their center, and occasionally, in-falling matter gets gobbled up by them. Some of that matter gets ejected at relativistic speeds in opposite directions thrown away by strong polar magnetic fields, and if by coincidence, one of those polar jets happens to be aimed right at the Earth, we see it as very "bright."

Originally, astronomers assumed these were superluminous objects spewing light that bright in all directions, which was a physics law violation. We now understand they only appear bright along the two discreet axes of the two polar jets.

And that is what a quasar really is.

Obumma.
I know just enough to make wild assumptions and let the child in me run rampant

toobfreak
These are only found in early galaxy formations

Mostly because it was only in the early universe that galaxies were condensed enough with sufficient central matter to sustain these jets over a long enough period of time to be observed by us but there are still tons of AGN galaxies out there and tons of active quasars in the sky.

The other reason is because if quasars were close to us (not at the rim of the early universe) we wouldn't be here to see them.

What does your username mean?

My parents named me Robert. “Bob”, of course, is a very common short nickname for Robert, and that is what I go by.

According to the Wikipedia

The name Robert is an ancient Germanic given name, from Proto-Germanic *Hrōþi- "fame" and *berhta- "bright" (Hrōþiberhtaz).[1] Compare Old Dutch Robrecht and Old High German Hrodebert (a compound of Hruod (Old Norse: Hróðr) "fame, glory, honour, praise, renown" and berht "bright, light, shining"). It is the second most frequently used given name of ancient Germanic origin. It is also in use as a surname. Another commonly used form of the name is Rupert.​

I've seen a few different claims as to the origin and meaning of my last name, Blaylock. It is apparently of either English or Scottish origin, referring either to a lake, or to hair, being of the the color blue or black.

Coyote…because….well….Coyote :dunno:

….reminds me to lighten up

278AB1CB-8746-4777-AE3B-AEACB1CD8158.png

Different Cultures and Subcultures have different standards of Ethics. I am unethical by some standards and very ethical by others.
Crepitus has two meaning. One is the sound/feeling of a bad joint, that grating vibration you feel in a bad knee or hip. I suffer from quite a bit of joint damage from living an active life, so I hear/feel this often.

Second is funny and highly appropriate for a political forum. Crepitus is the Roman god of flatulence.

Quasars are thousands of times more bight than all the stars in the galaxy 🌌
They’re the massive energy spills coming out of the oldest and biggest black holes 🕳 in the early universe

I hope I got it right
So... You were going for irony?

Forum List

Back