What Do You Think It Means To Marry Your Best Friend?

I fail to see how just because I have male friends that means that I'm going to wind up sleeping with them as if they always go together.
You said that. Not me. Hmmm... Interesting...

Ouch! That had to hurt, but it's a really good thing that you were there for her.

Being a true friend isn't about gender, it's about having fun with that person and enjoying their company. Also, if trust doesn't exist in a marriage or even a dating relationship then it's not even going to last.
Of course I was there, I am not one to shirk a commitment. My word is my bond.

You are not speaking any truth.

You are only speaking through your insecurities and inability to understand relationships on any level deeper than caveman.
If you don't understand humans, at their basic level; any "understanding" you believe you have beyond that is pure fantasy...

No, that's how you were trying to make it sound. I'm not a whore.
Never said you were. I explained the clinical psychology of how/why women surround themselves with male friends, before, during, and after committing to relationships. Don't blame me. Blame countless studies. None of this is new, or revolutionary.

Never said you were. I explained the clinical psychology of how/why women surround themselves with male friends, before, during, and after committing to relationships. Don't blame me. Blame countless studies. None of this is new, or revolutionary.
I guess I'm old school. I would be suspicious of a woman who claimed to give me a commitment and then surrounded herself with other men. Fuck that. Clinical psychologists are mostly mentally ill themselves.

I guess I'm old school. I would be suspicious of a woman who claimed to give me a commitment and then surrounded herself with other men. Fuck that.

Yes, but at the same time I don't think that you would force your beliefs on others.

I guess I'm old school. I would be suspicious of a woman who claimed to give me a commitment and then surrounded herself with other men. Fuck that. Clinical psychologists are mostly mentally ill themselves.
Often enough. But the data sets are reliable, and repeatable. And quite time tested. Not hating mind you. That's the "game". Always has been. Human nature never changes. So the best bet going forward is understanding it. Sure it take the fun of Disney fantasy out of things. But one is capable of making better decisions when they know why they do what they do. And why those around them do what they do. Even if others don't know "why" they are doing what they are doing. They don't really need to know, and it's unlikely they could do otherwise over the long haul even if they tried. Human nature hasn't changed, and never will...

Yes, but at the same time I don't think that you would force your beliefs on others.
No but, I would be very clear.....I do not want single male friends hanging around. If that's what you want, we can part ways. I don't want you forcing your single male friends into our relationship either. (My use of the word 'you' is not meant to refer personally to you FJB)

No but, I would be very clear.....I do not want single male friends hanging around. If that's what you want, we can part ways. I don't want you forcing your single male friends into our relationship either. (My use of the word 'you' is not meant to refer personally to you FJB)

And that would be your right but it's also my right and my fiancee's right to have friends of the opposite sex.

Question from both me and the fiancée as we strongly believe that we can be both lovers and best friends but we don't know how to describe it too much or put it into words.
Here is my take on that, based on marrying a woman that I only knew for 5 weeks, and still being together so far more than 33 years later.

Our relationship did not start with a strong bond of best friendship in only 5 weeks. But each of us saw the potential in each other to be lifelong friends.

The passion and the romance in a relationship, especially being engaged and the first few years of marriage will keep you spending time together and focused on each other. Over the years the Friendship part will grow if you nurture it.

Probably the most important factor in keeping it growing is to always have an attitude of teamwork with your spouse and avoid the tendency once married to become competitive or selfish about who gets what who decides what etc.

Think of a sports team like a basketball team. Your teammate misses a key free throw at a time when you really needed them to make it and they are normally good at free throws. There are three quarters left to go in the game and it's only halfway through the season.

Are you going to yell at your teammate and tell them what a horrible disappointment they are, or are you going to Pat them on the back and say you'll get them next time because you're awesome? If you want your team to succeed, the latter choice is the only choice.

I wish you great success in your endeavor to have that strong friendship in your marriage!

Often enough. But the data sets are reliable, and repeatable. And quite time tested. Not hating mind you. That's the "game". Always has been. Human nature never changes. So the best bet going forward is understanding it. Sure it take the fun of Disney fantasy out of things. But one is capable of making better decisions when they know why they do what they do. And why those around them do what they do. Even if others don't know "why" they are doing what they are doing. They don't really need to know, and it's unlikely they could do otherwise over the long haul even if they tried. Human nature hasn't changed, and never will...
Data sets are only reliable when the data is reliable which, most times they are not, especially when it comes to psychology. If it is 'human nature' for a woman to have single male friends when in a committed relationship, I would prefer she think more of the relationship than that. Animals follow nature not humans. If you want to know why people do as they do, look at their friends and families.

Here is my take on that, based on marrying a woman that I only knew for 5 weeks, and are still being together so far more than 33 years later.

Our relationship did not start with a strong bond of best friendship in only 5 weeks. But each of us saw the potential in each other to be lifelong friends.

The passion and the romance in a relationship, especially being engaged and the first few years of marriage will keep you spending time together and focused on each other. Over the years the Friendship part will grow if you nurture it.

Probably the most important factor in keeping it growing is to always have an attitude of teamwork with your spouse and avoid the tendency once married to become competitive or selfish about who gets what who decides what etc.

Think of a sports team like a basketball team. Your teammate misses a key free throw at a time when you really needed them to make it and they are normally good at free throws. There are three quarters left to go in the game and it's only halfway through the season.

Are you going to yell at your teammate and tell them what a horrible disappointment they are, or are you going to Pat them on the back and say you'll get them next time because you're awesome? If you want your team to succeed, the latter choice is the only choice.
Yes, that perfectly describes a mutual, truthful commitment.

Data sets are only reliable when the data is reliable which, most times they are not, especially when it comes to psychology. If it is 'human nature' for a woman to have single male friends when in a committed relationship, I would prefer she think more of the relationship than that. Animals follow nature not humans. If you want to know why people do as they do, look at their friends and families.
While I can appreciate your response; it's largely an emotional one.

And that would be your right but it's also my right and my fiancee's right to have friends of the opposite sex.
So, you don't mind a bunch of single women hanging around? You sure about that?

1669505595783.png

While I can appreciate your response; it's largely an emotional one.

Emotions are a huge part of any relationship.
True. So true. And understanding what creates them, and how they orchestrate our decisions, and behaviors is invaluable. Double so when dealing with others...

Forum List

Back