What Do You Think It Means To Marry Your Best Friend?

I don't care. I trust my man. He could be friends with any one or all of those women and it wouldn't bother me.
It would bother me if my woman invited single guy-friends over. Guess that's just me.

Question from both me and the fiancée as we strongly believe that we can be both lovers and best friends but we don't know how to describe it too much or put it into words.
My husband and I have been married and have been best friends longer than most of you have been alive.

For the religious, marriage is a conjoining or unification of two souls into one nuclear family unit, i.e. what God has joined together let no man put asunder, i.e. separate. In a good marriage, religious or not, it means building a strong family, sharing resources, coparenting children and raising them to be independent, self-sufficient, responsible happy adults. It means being an asset to each other, our neighborhood, our community, our state, nation, and world. The strongest communities, strongest nations support, affirm, and promote the traditional family. In no place that the traditional family is not the most common component of the community will there be as much civility, more prosperity, more options, choices, opportunity, less crime. more stability.

To be best friends is to love each other unconditionally--that does not mean there will not be disagreements, disappointments, bad decisions, even a few fights, but through it all love wins out. You want the very best for each other, encourage each other, help each other, find ways to compromise, enjoy being together and share a lot of common interests even though both will occasionally have their own personal things they enjoy. (I will never enjoy watching Godfather movies or "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" like he does, and he'll never enjoy my disaster movies like I do.) You have each others' backs. You look to each other as the first person you want to share something with or experience with you and when you can't do that you have a feeling something important is missing.

Last edited:
It would bother me if my woman invited single guy-friends over. Guess that's just me.

No it isn't just you. That's probably a lot of if not most marriages and romantic relationships. We're just different is all and our feelings about this are mutual.

He shouldn't trust me even though he has female friends as well? That makes perfect sense.
There is a limit to how far trust will go in any relationship. Yes, my husband has female friends and I have guy friends, but we do not spend time alone with them but do so only in groups or as a couple. It isn't that either of us have given each other any reason to distrust each other, but in a strong relationship you don't create situations in which elements of distrust or concern can creep in. And real friends would not want to put us into a situation that would just look suspicious or give ammunition for speculation from the average observer.

Last edited:
There is a limit to how far trust will go in any relationship. Yes, my husband has female friends and I have guy friends, but we do not spend time alone with them but do so only in groups or as a couple. It isn't that either of us have given each other any reason to distrust each other, but in a strong relationship you don't create situations in which elements of distrust or concern can creep in. And real friends would not want to put us into a situation that would just look suspicious or give ammunition for speculation from the average observer.

Eh with us, he knows my one male friend really well and is friends with him as well and I know his female friends as I'm friends with two of them as well and sort of know the one, but he's known the latter a whole LOT longer than he's known me so there's no reason for distrust in our situation.

Eh with us, he knows my one male friend really well and is friends with him as well and I know his female friends as I'm friends with two of them as well and sort of know the one, but he's known the latter a whole LOT longer than he's known me so there's no reason for distrust in our situation.
Just the same, I think you're wise not to put yourself in a situation that looks compromising even if there is absolutely nothing compromising going on. That is good advice in ALL walks of life. Once there is suspicion that cannot be alleviated with hard facts, once trust is compromised or broken, it can never be 100% fully restored. And if it happens a lot it will erode any relationship.

Just the same, I think you're wise not to put yourself in a situation that looks compromising even if there is absolutely nothing compromising going on. That is good advice in ALL walks of life. Once there is suspicion that cannot be alleviated with hard facts, once trust is compromised or broken, it can never be 100% fully restored. And if it happens a lot it will erode any relationship.

Just the same, I don't think it's wise to tell people how to live their lives over the internet when you're just anonymous people that don't know us whatsoever and cannot control our lives or our friends. That's between us so mind your business. Please and thank you.

Just the same, I don't think it's wise to tell people how to live their lives over the internet when you're just anonymous people that don't know us whatsoever and cannot control our lives or our friends. That's between us so mind your business. Please and thank you.
You started the thread dear. I presumed that was an invitation for people to give their thoughts about it. So sorry. I won't be bothering you again.

Foxfyre

The way I look at it is that if you both demanded each other ababdon your long-time friends, what would that really say about the confidence youhave in your marriage?

Foxfyre

The way I look at it is that if you both demanded each other ababdon your long-time friends, what would that really say about the confidence youhave in your marriage?
If either partiy demanded to cling to past options... What future might that portend..?

You started the thread dear. I presumed that was an invitation for people to give their thoughts about it. So sorry. I won't be bothering you again.

It wasn't about my friends it was about my upcoming marriage for the love of Pete!!! 🙄

Foxfyre

Thank you!!

They are not "options", caveman.

They are friends.
I'll give you more than the laughing emoji. You deserve at least that. But until you understand why, and how our kind bond with one another... You're blowing smoke up your own ass.

Foxfyre I'm sorry I blew up at you, you don't have to be afraid of me. I was just getting agitated that the topic was derailing so much.

Commited girls, hopeful "guy friends"...

Just trying to lighten the mood. Just kidding/not kidding...:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back