What do You Gun Supporters Think of This....

I'm an old time wheel gun fan. No safeties and a guaranteed six rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I'm in favor of open carry. I don't know what the negatives would be, but I felt very safe on my horse with one strapped around my waist, in a holster, in secluded areas where I road, often.

When I first moved to Vegas more than 30 years ago, there were a couple of guys who walked around town wearing a gun belt with very large revolvers.

Nobody ever messed with them! :)

Loaded and having a round chambered are two different things. It only takes 1.5 seconds to pull a Glock and pull back the slide.

You cant always do that, dude. Suppose you are in a situation like Zimmerman was in and you are on your back and have some perp sitting on your chest pounding you; you think you would be able to rack a round into the chamber? Yeah, good luck with that one.

Southerners for the nost part are pretty decent. New Yorkers, not so much. I would carry a gun if it was legal if I lived in NYC, but if you live in the South you sound paranoid. Nobody's gonna bother you unless you're looking for trouble.

Yes, 98% of all ethnicities are fairly good folks. But its that 2% I carry a loaded gun for, and the South has their 'two percenters' just like everybody else.

I'm an old time wheel gun fan. No safeties and a guaranteed six rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I'm in favor of open carry. I don't know what the negatives would be, but I felt very safe on my horse with one strapped around my waist, in a holster, in secluded areas where I road, often.

I'm in favor of carrying an RPG in the open too. However, some people freak when you point a stick and go bang, bang now.

Why not let people carry RPGs?

ITs not like they'll rob a store or mug anyone with one since you can see them for miles if slung over the shoulder.

I carry a Glock 21, and its safety gives not much confidence, so I haven't been carrying a round chambered. Figure the likelihood of not being able to rack a round vrs having an accident with a chambered Glock is not so good.

But still the Martin-Zimmerman episode made it clear that you cannot always have the other hand free to chamber a round.

So I have decided to do this instead. I am going to carry a rubber bullet chambered. That way if the gun goes off accidentally it is unlikely it will seriously hurt anyone. But if I cant get my other hand to my gun, I can just fire twice to get lethal force.

It also gives me the option of using a less lethal shot to aid in negotiations should the need arise.

It isn't perfect, but it seems the best solution for all factors considered.

Any thoughts?

whatever makes you feel safer around people.

I'd advise adjusting when you are around people you don't know

and have a knife

we have open carry out here

i used to open carry

i used to open carry

We have open carry here in Virginia, and I did for a while, about a year.

My wife asked me to stop and return to concealed carry so I did. She felt that by open carrying I was giving up a tactical advantage.

Man, I love that woman.

i used to open carry

We have open carry here in Virginia, and I did for a while, about a year.

My wife asked me to stop and return to concealed carry so I did. She felt that by open carrying I was giving up a tactical advantage.

Man, I love that woman.

that it is

Lol, and plenty of people say the exact opposite, that if you carry a gun without a bullet chambered you are an idiot carrying a paper weight.

Sorry to disturb you with the notion that people might think differently from you.

Lol, Chicago = Afghanistan, lololol.

No, I live in neither.

I simply live among the most cunning, aggressive and dangerous creatures on Earth; Southerners! I'll keep my fracking gun loaded and on me at all times, thank you!

best practice is to always treat a firearm as if was loaded

and ready to go off

Somebody hands you a gun assume it's loaded. Always check it first.

A Glock has two safeties. On the trigger and keeping your finger off of it. But not chambering a round is a good practice. Then you'll know for sure every time.

the old motto still applies treat all firearms as if they are loaded

Done that 4 times (not counting the Army) and all were while I used a wheel gun. Picked up on Glocks about three years ago, and really like them.

I keep mine on me or near me 24/7 and you don't have to have yor finger on the trigger for something to hit it and set it off. A guy here in VA got killed simply slipping his autopistol in his pants and something in the pocket set the gun off and severed one of his arteries.

A subsonic rubber bullet is *less* likely to kill, but any bullet can kill someone if it hits the right spot at close range.

It is physically impossible for a Glock to go off without having its trigger pulled. Period.

That is simply not true, it was a Glock that went off and killed the guy I was referring to.

Man killed by his own concealed weapon - Richmond Times Dispatch: Archive

I know the specifics on this case because I know one of the mans relatives, and the press story got it wrong. Paint me not surprised.

What do you think happens if something in ones pocket is pushed against the safety on the trigger? You think it is impossible for some inanimate object in the packet to enable someone do such a thing?

The word 'impossible' means something that CANNOT happen under any circumstances.

This HAS happened, so it aint impossible.

I don't count Army training as it is very rudimentary for the most part. Especially as regards handguns. The other classes you took I would question their efficacy if you are still having issues.

I would suggest a class at Thunder Ranch or Gunsite.

Thunder Ranch® Oregon & Thunder Ranch® Texas

http://www.gunsite.com/main/

IMO they are the two best in the nation. After you have completed one of their classes you are competent...period..or you shouldn't be carrying firearms at all.

Thank you for your opinings, Westwall.

True.

I’d say if you’re not comfortable with your Glock find something else.

I carry a Glock 21, and its safety gives not much confidence, so I haven't been carrying a round chambered. Figure the likelihood of not being able to rack a round vrs having an accident with a chambered Glock is not so good.

But still the Martin-Zimmerman episode made it clear that you cannot always have the other hand free to chamber a round.

So I have decided to do this instead. I am going to carry a rubber bullet chambered. That way if the gun goes off accidentally it is unlikely it will seriously hurt anyone. But if I cant get my other hand to my gun, I can just fire twice to get lethal force.

It also gives me the option of using a less lethal shot to aid in negotiations should the need arise.

Any thoughts?

First is I do believe Glocks come standard with the New York trigger so dont try to holster it like John Wane and you are good. Second, Glocks have internal safeties and are rated among some of the safest, most idiot proof fire arms around. Rubber bullets are a dumb idea. The fact that you mention negotiations is proof you have not attended a CCW class. In CCW we are taught that when gun comes out its "Front sight acquire, fire". We keep firing until the threat has hit the ground and is no longer a threat, preferably dead. Rubber bullet= stupid, Gold dot= gooda !

Get a revolver. They make some titanium models that are lightweight, strong and hold five rounds. No safety and no worries about that rubber bullet. Think you need more than five rounds? Get a speed loader and learn to use it.

Any thoughts?

First is I do believe Glocks come standard with the New York trigger so dont try to holster it like John Wane and you are good. Second, Glocks have internal safeties and are rated among some of the safest, most idiot proof fire arms around. Rubber bullets are a dumb idea. The fact that you mention negotiations is proof you have not attended a CCW class. In CCW we are taught that when gun comes out its "Front sight acquire, fire". We keep firing until the threat has hit the ground and is no longer a threat, preferably dead. Rubber bullet= stupid, Gold dot= gooda !

Lol, in theory what you say is true. But also don't want to get sued by the survivors of the perp for excessive force.

I will have my gun out ASAP if I have reasonable suspicion that things are getting ugly. If someone needs persuading I risk less at the scene and in civil court.

If you say lawsuits are irrelevant, then I suspect you aren't thinking this through. Don't wait till you have to shoot to pull and acquire a target. Do it as soon as you think you will soon need to.

Any thoughts?

Lol, in theory what you say is true. But also don't want to get sued by the survivors of the perp for excessive force.

I will have my gun out ASAP if I have reasonable suspicion that things are getting ugly. If someone needs persuading I risk less at the scene and in civil court.

If you say lawsuits are irrelevant, then I suspect you aren't thinking this through. Don't wait till you have to shoot to pull and acquire a target. Do it as soon as you think you will soon need to.

Yeah, getting taken to court came up. A whole part of our class was dedicated to it. Its pretty heavy stuff. Tons of responsibility.

I think I'll stick with one of these ---

th

Forum List

Back