Any experience with coyotes?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
There are a lot of coyotes around these days extending even into urban areas. When I talk to hunters and good ole boys here in a rural part of the Mid-Atlantic they all tell me they hate coyotes and kill them every chance they get. Personally I like the idea of wolf like predators prowling the woods in the 21'st century. Occasionally a pack of them come through my property at night and the howling is pretty cool. My dog hears them first and makes strange howling noises on the porch. We had sheep at one time but were bothered more by wild dogs in the daylight than coyotes. The local farmers have llamas pastured with sheep and apparently it keeps the coyotes away. It's a strange sight though. There used to be a bounty on them here in Va. but I don't think it's in effect anymore.

I used to deal a lot with them when I worked for Acme

acme1.jpg

Last edited:
What sort of experience? They're around...they aren't very wolf-like, though. They're more dog like..

They'll keep the feral cat population down. They're hard on little birds and animals that raise young on the ground. They harbor fleas and ticks. I have a friend who hunts them for bounty.

Every mammal harbors fleas and ticks. Dog-like...wolf like? I just like the idea of real predators in the woods and I like hearing their wild calls. I imagine they keep the deer population in check although the best they could do is take a fawn or two. Visiting in Arizona I saw many coyotes dead along the road but I only saw one on the local interstate in years.

I usually get rid of them by dropping an anvil on their head

Coyotes are good predators. In urban areas, with no real competition, they'll probably expand to fill their niche. With any luck, they'll keep the rat & mouse populations down there.

The other up & comer is the feral pig pop., v. big animals. They've been sighted in upper peninsula of MI. They're v. destructive, though, & so I expect state & federal bounties on their heads. We'll probably have to clamp down on them soon.

Unlike coyotes, the pigs rip up soil, watering holes, eat anything that doesn't bite them first. V. prolific, it'll take a lot of hunting to pare the numbers down to something manageable. Coyotes are better @ keeping a low profile - it's v. hard to even see a coyote.

The best time to kill coyotes is dusk when the older, slower ones start edging in around chickenhouses and barns. If coyote sign is around and it bothers you the best method to kill a coyote is to buy a cheap nightscope ($100-$250) for a high velocity rifle, then leave a chicken or some sort of bait animal in an open top pen.

Then when you see the coyote skulking up, blow it away.

There could be some surprises if your neighbor's dog has developed a taste for chicken.

Last edited:
Coyotes are good predators. In urban areas, with no real competition, they'll probably expand to fill their niche. With any luck, they'll keep the rat & mouse populations down there.

The other up & comer is the feral pig pop., v. big animals. They've been sighted in upper peninsula of MI. They're v. destructive, though, & so I expect state & federal bounties on their heads. We'll probably have to clamp down on them soon.

Unlike coyotes, the pigs rip up soil, watering holes, eat anything that doesn't bite them first. V. prolific, it'll take a lot of hunting to pare the numbers down to something manageable. Coyotes are better @ keeping a low profile - it's v. hard to even see a coyote.

Yeah rightwinger we hear you. Cartoons are good education sources. Anyway I agree that coyotes will fill the predator niche that goes unnoticed by most people. I noticed that the dumpster cat population has declined in my area even though the County no longer employs an animal control officer. I don't know about feral pigs . We haven't seen any in this area.

There are a lot of coyotes around these days extending even into urban areas. When I talk to hunters and good ole boys here in a rural part of the Mid-Atlantic they all tell me they hate coyotes and kill them every chance they get. Personally I like the idea of wolf like predators prowling the woods in the 21'st century. Occasionally a pack of them come through my property at night and the howling is pretty cool. My dog hears them first and makes strange howling noises on the porch. We had sheep at one time but were bothered more by wild dogs in the daylight than coyotes. The local farmers have llamas pastured with sheep and apparently it keeps the coyotes away. It's a strange sight though. There used to be a bounty on them here in Va. but I don't think it's in effect anymore.

I like to listen to them while I fall asleep.

I usually get rid of them by dropping an anvil on their head

I prefer the "rocket strapped to ass" method.

Yeah we know about the information system that the left depends on. Can you go away and let people discuss stuff that ain't related to cartoons?

Righties say I am a lefty, rightwinger himself has called me a righty. Sheesh. So do you want to kill them, or what ? One poster mentioned a good method, but if you use that one do not do it within 50' of a road or a structure. In my experience, after shooting two or three they tend to move on. Personally, I like them and dont mess with them unless they are troublesome. Forgot to say, they are suckers for calls to. I like the rabbit in distress one.

I don't want to kill them but the rabbit call is a pretty interesting concept. It looks like hoosier and I seem to agree that the coyote fills a predator vacuum because we killed off everything else. I like the idea of coyotes howling around. It makes me think that the modern wilderness isn't as safe and sterile as we tried to make it.

opportunistic feeders omnivorous

prefer fresh meat over road kill

adapts easily

pelts bring about 50 bucks

I don't want to kill them but the rabbit call is a pretty interesting concept. It looks like hoosier and I seem to agree that the coyote fills a predator vacuum because we killed off everything else. I like the idea of coyotes howling around. It makes me think that the modern wilderness isn't as safe and sterile as we tried to make it.

Men usually fail at trying to control the wilderness. We get rid of a bad only to have another bad replace it. It gives us something to do i guess. I like hunting myself. In Texas it's the hogs. You really don't wanna hit one going about 70mph.

Opportunistic yes but I don't think coyotes are omnivorous. You can't get a dime for a pelt unless you put 50 bucks into it.

Rakestraw rooters, as feral pigs are known along the Sabine entity, are a blight among mankind. I know a county commissioner in East Texas who will spread food trash and corn husks down where the woods start below his house, some 150 yards. About once a month he and his daughter will sit in their lounge chairs with the back up and a L shaped rest for their 223s. Once night has fallen, they put on their night vision goggles and will drop as many as 40 to 50 of them. But as he says that is only a "small dent" in the population of the devil's pets.

Opportunistic yes but I don't think coyotes are omnivorous. You can't get a dime for a pelt unless you put 50 bucks into it.

The coyote does most of its hunting alone and at night. It is primarily carnivorous. Most of its diet is made up of mammals, but it also eats birds and snakes. It prefers to eat fresh kill, but it will eat carrion. In the fall and winter, the coyote often eats fruits, vegetables, and berries.
Coyote - Canis latrans - NatureWorks

Forum List

Back