What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

General, not specific.

public assistance is unconstitutional.

means tested welfare cannot be unconstitutional in our First World economy whenever merely solving for a poverty money, may not be enough.
In providing for the general welfare, we are overpopulated and need to kill 2/3 of the people.

What other horrible things can we do in providing for the general welfare?

Before Republicans comment on such topics they need to catch up to reality.

Red states are economic basketcases for following failed conservative policies for the last 150 years.

Most of them are horribly polluted and dangerous to raise children in because of the nasty pollution.

Then there’s the lack of education.

In fact it’s so bad in so many red states that in the entire Appalachian area infant mortality rates are rising and life expectancy is falling.

Republican conservatism is not really a failed policy. It’s a disguised policy. The whole point of it is to fuk most Americans and everything they do is aimed at helping needy billionaires.

Your theory self destructs quickly though because Mexifornia is home to only 12% of the national population and 33% of the nations welfare filth. In case you didn’t know, Mexifornia is a blue state that operates solely on progressive ideals. Weird huh?
a simple cost of living issue that is being addressed through the minimum wage.

You do realize that one requirement for minimum wage is having a job?

General, not specific.

public assistance is unconstitutional.

means tested welfare cannot be unconstitutional in our First World economy whenever merely solving for a poverty money, may not be enough.
In providing for the general welfare, we are overpopulated and need to kill 2/3 of the people.

What other horrible things can we do in providing for the general welfare?

that is the general badfare not the general welfare; only the right wing, never gets it.

General Welfare refers to a healthy national economy and infrastructure.
No excessive off-shoring, in-sourcing or invasion of cheap labor and contiguous states sharing the management of interstate travel and security.

Red states are economic basketcases for following failed conservative policies for the last 150 years.

Most of them are horribly polluted and dangerous to raise children in because of the nasty pollution.

In fact it’s so bad in so many red states that in the entire Appalachian area infant mortality rates are rising and life expectancy is falling.

Republican conservatism is not really a failed policy. It’s a disguised policy. The whole point of it is to fuk most Americans and everything they do is aimed at helping needy billionaires.

Your theory self destructs quickly though because Mexifornia is home to only 12% of the national population and 33% of the nations welfare filth. In case you didn’t know, Mexifornia is a blue state that operates solely on progressive ideals. Weird huh?

unemployment compensation for simply being, naturally unemployed by capitalism's natural rate of unemployment must be market friendly and more cost effective as a result.

In actuality, a lot of the red states were Deep Blue for most of the time over the past 150 years.

Further, some of the nation's biggest successes like the GS of Texas and Florida are doing outstanding. People want to move there, the idea of no state income tax is one that people believe in.

OTOH, people are moving out of New York and California. The sky high taxes and stifling political correctness, the pandering to groups like MS13 is pathetic.

unemployment compensation for simply being, naturally unemployed by capitalism's natural rate of unemployment must be market friendly and more cost effective as a result.

Yeah, I figured that would be a surprise, maybe even a shock to you.

Haha...is that the spin?
I’m sure the presence of 10-15 million illegal Mexicans dropping litters of dependent anchor babies have nothing to do with the shithole morphing into the thirdworld hell its become...right?
Illegal immigrants have turned California into the American Nightmare
COMMENTARY: Illegal immigrants have turned California into the American Nightmare

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
Your first mistake is in assuming our Founders were monolithic in their beliefs.

If you want to see one Founder's idea of what "the general welfare" meant to him, read Agrarian Justice by Thomas Paine.

A sampling:

Having thus in a few words, opened the merits of the case, I shall now proceed to the plan I have to propose, which is,

To create a national fund, out of which there shall be paid to every person, when arrived at the age of twenty-one years, the sum of fifteen pounds sterling, as a compensation in part, for the loss of his or her natural inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed property:

And also, the sum of ten pounds per annum, during life, to every person now living, of the age of fifty years, and to all others as they shall arrive at that age.

Thomas Paine Agrarian Justice -- Part 2 of 3

A stipend paid by the government to everyone over the age of 21. An additional stipend after the age of 50.

There is your welfare state and social security, right there. Courtesy of Thomas Paine, the author of Common Sense.

Last edited:

In actuality, a lot of the red states were Deep Blue for most of the time over the past 150 years.

Further, some of the nation's biggest successes like the GS of Texas and Florida are doing outstanding. People want to move there, the idea of no state income tax is one that people believe in.

OTOH, people are moving out of New York and California. The sky high taxes and stifling political correctness, the pandering to groups like MS13 is pathetic.
a higher minimum wage means more people will seek employment.

If you look at the 2019 Budget (below), especially the Welfare and Medicaid line items, you see that the $900b deficit can be offset by reducing welfare and medicaid as well as other reductions, such as in Defense. While the economy is at its highest level, and at full employment, with jobs all over, we should really be sure that the recipients of welfare and medicaid are truly deserving, and are US citizens. IMHO the dems give out freebies too easily thereby ensuring that the dependency on their democrat plantations is assured. I'm hoping that Trump makes sure that there are more people pulling the wagon than riding in it.

2019 Federal Budget $4.04T

Mandatory spending $2.74T
Social Security $1,050b
Medicare $625b
Medicaid $412b
Welfare $462b

Interest on the Debt $363b

Discretionary $1.3T
Defense $893.0
HHS $70.0
Education $59.9
VA $83.1
Homeland $52.7
Energy Dept $29.2
NNSA $15.1
HUD $29.2
State Dept $40.3
NASA $19.0
All Other Agencies $133.1
We could eliminate the deficit entirely, and lower tax rates for EVERYONE, by simply banning the $1.4 trillion spent each year on tax expenditures.

We have an insane system whereby entities earning identical incomes are paying radically different taxes.

We have a tax code which is the largest government behavior control program in the history of the world. We have a tax code which is used by the government to interfere in every single market on a MASSIVE scale.

How anyone claiming to be a "conservative" can defend this system is beyond me.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

You voted for Trump because he's a Constitutionalist?

Do you vote for Republicans because the Patriot Act was an example of small government and Constitution Rights?

I suspect once we get past party worship we can get together on some anti surveilance leglislation even if we disagree on immigration's effect on American History.

Yeah, I figured that would be a surprise, maybe even a shock to you.
the left has to have solutions; echelon order really is the order of the day with the right wing.

Haha...is that the spin?
I’m sure the presence of 10-15 million illegal Mexicans dropping litters of dependent anchor babies have nothing to do with the shithole morphing into the thirdworld hell its become...right?
Illegal immigrants have turned California into the American Nightmare
COMMENTARY: Illegal immigrants have turned California into the American Nightmare
All foreign nationals in the US should have a federal id. and be considered tourists; a simple fee or fine could end any capital incentive to be illegal.

Your first mistake is in assuming our Founders were monolithic in their beliefs.

If you want to see one Founder's idea of what "the general welfare" meant to him, read Agrarian Justice by Thomas Paine.

A sampling:

Having thus in a few words, opened the merits of the case, I shall now proceed to the plan I have to propose, which is,

To create a national fund, out of which there shall be paid to every person, when arrived at the age of twenty-one years, the sum of fifteen pounds sterling, as a compensation in part, for the loss of his or her natural inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed property:

And also, the sum of ten pounds per annum, during life, to every person now living, of the age of fifty years, and to all others as they shall arrive at that age.

Thomas Paine Agrarian Justice -- Part 2 of 3

A stipend paid by the government to everyone over the age of 21. An additional stipend after the age of 50.

There is your welfare state and social security, right there. Courtesy of Thomas Paine, the author of Common Sense.

you're kidding - RW dopes never get past Felix the Cat in Sunday comic strips ....

You voted for Trump because he's a Constitutionalist?

Do you vote for Republicans because the Patriot Act was an example of small government and Constitution Rights?

I suspect once we get past party worship we can get together on some anti surveilance leglislation even if we disagree on immigration's effect on American History.
the only reason the right wing is in trouble, is caught being unPatriotic, with their own Patriot Act.

To me “General Welfare” is a term that refers to the people as a whole. So to benefit the general welfare you would be acting in the interest of helping increase the safety, security, opportunity, health, treatment, and standard of living for Americans as a whole.

Look at it like a school whose rating is determined by the schools average GPA. The efforts that can be taken to help raise that schools GPA is similar in concept with this general welfare discussion... or average employee pay of a corporation etc.

It doesn’t mean providing the same benefits and efforts towards every single person as some need more help than others but it is more focused on lifting our countries “averages” up while maintaining our core principles

Good question

Forum List

Back