What Classifies As Sin?

Now, I know we're not told much about Jesus' childhood,.. but is it a sin if an infant or a young child grabs something that isn't theirs because they haven't been taught right from wrong yet? I don't think that it is actually. That's why I'm not sure if Jesus always knew right from wrong or He still had to be taught like every other little kid.
What constitutes sin? Sin is the breaking of the LAW. When you are not bound by law you cannot sin. Children are innocent until they become able to comprehend the difference between right and wrong. There are no set in stone examples of when the age of innocence ends and the age of reason begins. Its different depending upon the abilities of those subject to the law. Some people who are born with the mind of a child and they never mature enough to comprehend the difference between right and wrong......the mentally handicapped, etc.

The Christ said it best, "Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." -- Matthew 5:3

Even those who claim not be under any religious law......are by nature a law unto themselves for God has revealed to them enough to know the difference between right and wrong, they are without excuse.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be know of God is manifest in them. For God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so they are without excuse." -- Romans 1:18-20.

Many might claim that they can't see the forest because of the trees........but when they first attempt to convince themselves THERE IS NO GOD.....they seal their own fate and are without excuse.

What constitutes sin? Sin is the breaking of the LAW. When you are not bound by law you cannot sin. Children are innocent until they become able to comprehend the difference between right and wrong. There are no set in stone examples of when the age of innocence ends and the age of reason begins. Its different depending upon the abilities of those subject to the law. Some people who are born with the mind of a child and they never mature enough to comprehend the difference between right and wrong......the mentally handicapped, etc.

The Christ said it best, "Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." -- Matthew 5:3

Even those who claim not be under any religious law......are by nature a law unto themselves for God has revealed to them enough to know the difference between right and wrong, they are without excuse.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be know of God is manifest in them. For God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so they are without excuse." -- Romans 1:18-20.

Many might claim that they can't see the forest because of the trees........but when they first attempt to convince themselves THERE IS NO GOD.....they seal their own fate and are without excuse.
Amen brother.

Some of the most egregious sins happen when people deliberately ignore certain passages in scripture.

Just like how Eve deliberately forgot what God said about the fruit and the Tree.

Just like Jeroboam son of Nebat deliberately forgot about the rule of "one place of Worship" and the Temple in Jerusalem when he made his golden calfs.
Which ultimately ended up as Elijah facing down 500 prophets of Baal.

None of these things ended up well...

Today we got church pastors preaching sermons that are in direct opposition to the scriptures about sexual immorality and giving...
That's sin.

And it's not going to end well.
It never has in the past. It won't today or tomorrow either.

Now, I know we're not told much about Jesus' childhood,.. but is it a sin if an infant or a young child grabs something that isn't theirs because they haven't been taught right from wrong yet? I don't think that it is actually. That's why I'm not sure if Jesus always knew right from wrong or He still had to be taught like every other little kid.

Jesus was like us but also, not like us. Hard to understand, but that's why He was born of a virgin.

Every sacrifice made to God previous to Jesus was a stand-in. You might say a *representative* of the "spotless" lamb but not REALLY perfect. All the "spotless" lambs sacrificed to God before Jesus were not really spotless (because the world is fallen). They had blemishes. But Jesus did not.

It's hard for me to imagine raising a child who did not sin. But Mary did. Otherwise, Jesus' sacrifice on the cross would not be acceptable. But it was--for all time.

So to your question: if Jesus grabbed something to explore it as an infant I guess that wasn't a sin! But if He took what wasn't His from someone else I guess that was. We would know if it was a sin or not if He did or didn't do it. If He did it, it wasn't a sin.

Now for fun: imagine being the little brother of Perfect Jesus. Yiiiiikes there's some shoes to fill! ha

Jesus was not only 100% god - he was also 100% human being. So he had to be taught like every other little child. I remember in this context: A long time ago I needed once a priest (I'm a Catholic) to help me to find the best of all possible ways for me back again. In context of my personal problems in this time I asked him "What is the prototype of a sin?" - a strange question - but he answered spontanous without to hesitate: "To circle always only around the own self." Perhaps this was what Jesus (and his mother Mary) never did do. So god was perhaps always able to help them without to touch their free will. Important is to do what's right and not to do what's wrong, but often we do not know this - also not afterwards. Specially in case of a good deed - which for example had helped that no war had happened - we are never able to be sure - if no war happens - whether this has anything to do with us and our own deeds. The good deed is often as invisible as god on his own is normally invisible. But if we made something wrong then we are often able to see very soon the bad result. But also this we don't know. After some years we are also often able to see that the bad result had been indeed a good result. I fear we all need the blessing of god. That's our only real chance. We have to give him the chance to help us. That's my five pence. Every day I wonder for example how I was able to do my job - and every day again I find out: It was only able to be done with the help of god.

Last edited:
Jesus was like us but also, not like us. Hard to understand, but that's why He was born of a virgin.

Every sacrifice made to God previous to Jesus was a stand-in. You might say a *representative* of the "spotless" lamb but not REALLY perfect. All the "spotless" lambs sacrificed to God before Jesus were not really spotless (because the world is fallen). They had blemishes. But Jesus did not.

It's hard for me to imagine raising a child who did not sin. But Mary did. Otherwise, Jesus' sacrifice on the cross would not be acceptable. But it was--for all time.

So to your question: if Jesus grabbed something to explore it as an infant I guess that wasn't a sin! But if He took what wasn't His from someone else I guess that was. We would know if it was a sin or not if He did or didn't do it. If He did it, it wasn't a sin.

Now for fun: imagine being the little brother of Perfect Jesus. Yiiiiikes there's some shoes to fill! ha

Oh believe me, I did. :p

Forum List

Back