What are you reading now?

HereWeGoAgain
What did you think of Heart of the Sea?

To be honest I dont remember.
Had to go back and check my library in the Kindle to see if I read it.
Apparently I did but dont remember reading it.
That was back in 2018 and I read a lot seagoing books for a stretch.
Went back and read the first few pages and I do remember it was pretty good.
I'd like to check out the book in Mike's OP, but I don't have Kindle.

Which one was it?
You really should get one. And at a hundred bucks they're pretty cheap.

I read quite a lot and I always have since I was in middle school. Seems like I am always engrossed in some star system light years away fighting lizard people, or a time travel adventure or something. Today I started reading Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana jr. It's about a young man living in the 1830's who becomes ill and has his vision affected and with no medical remedy around, decides to sign up for a two year voyage from Boston to the west coast of the north American continent to load skins to sell. It was a trip for him to recover or die. Fortunately he recovered his vision and went on the write the book.
It's very detailed and tells the reader what daily life aboard the 85 foot Brig "Pilgrim" was like. Below is a recreation of the ship.

Pilgrim-TALL-SHIP.-W.Ross_-600x413.jpg

According to the book there were about 15 people aboard and they were very busy. They continually had to put up and take down the sails depending on the weather, and had to be on watch around the clock. So the sailors life was one kept busy! They had a compass and maritime chronometer and the ability to sail by the stars. The voyage took two years and is a wonderful tale of adventure on the high seas without all the hollywood hype thrown in. A good read if you are interested in history or sea going vessels of that period.

I figured I should post this to dispel some of the nasty rumors that I "can't read". ;)

im reading “mean camp”

its about trumps struggles to save america from democrats, liberals, gays, atheists, feminists, humanists, progressives, muslims, rinos, moderates, sane people, rational people and people who dont want to kill his enemies

HereWeGoAgain

Which one was it?
Two Years Before the Mast. Is a Kindle super easy to use? Like turn it on and go? I don't know shit about technology.

HereWeGoAgain

Which one was it?
Two Years Before the Mast. Is a Kindle super easy to use? Like turn it on and go? I don't know shit about technology.

Yeah I read it. Pretty good book.
Yeah they're super easy to use,far easier than a computer.
One of the things I like the most which is a simple feature....you can read in bed without a light on. When you fall asleep while reading,which I do every night,it'll turn it self off after a certain time so it saves your battery. I usually get a week and a half to two weeks on charge.
More on ease of use. If you buy a cover for it you simply open the cover and swipe the page and it takes you to where you left off. If you dont have a cover you just push the power button and swipe and it'll take you back to where you left off.
You'll of course need WiFi to order books.

HereWeGoAgain

Which one was it?
A Kindle is cheap and very easy to use.

HereWeGoAgain

Which one was it?
That's what they said about changing the washer on my faucet. But if I do get one and I can't figure out how to get started, I'll @ you.

HereWeGoAgain

Which one was it?
That's what they said about changing the washer on my faucet. But if I do get one and I can't figure out how to get started, I'll @ you.
You certainly can.

A couple days ago I finished the latest Lincoln Lawyer novel- it didn't end the way I hoped, but the Lincoln Lawyer will live to fight another day- that's a good thang!

And I despise lawyers- LOL

I'm about 1/2 way through, Texas Outlaw, by James Patterson (and Andrew Bourelle) - good story so far about a Texas Ranger- modern day.

I don't care for Patterson and usually stay away from books written by someone under a more famous author, but, the 2 Texas Ranger novels under Pattersons unbrella ain't bad- I also like Ace Atkins taking up Robert B. Parkers protagonist, Spencer-

A couple days ago I finished the latest Lincoln Lawyer novel- it didn't end the way I hoped, but the Lincoln Lawyer will live to fight another day- that's a good thang!

And I despise lawyers- LOL
Well, I can understand that, but our lawyer turned nothing into 50,000 dollars.

I just got Snorri Sturluson's prose Edda translated by Anthony Faulkes. I will start that tonight or tomorrow. I'm pretty psyched because I have been waiting on it for a couple of weeks.

''Why is the Prose Edda of Snorri Sturluson important?
The Prose Edda contains a wide variety of lore which a Skald (poet) of the time would need to know. The text is of interest to modern readers because it contains consistent narratives of many of the plot lines of Norse mythology. Although Snorri was a Christian, he treated the ancient Pagan mythology with great respect.''
The Prose Edda Index - sacred-texts.com Thankyou for posting about it. I am always discovering new things on line. I read some of it of what they had online . I have always liked Norse Mythology.

Valkrie: The women of the viking world by Johanna Katrin Fridriksdottr. It's actually one of the best books out there so far simply because there is a firm separation between facts and myths. There is this desire to paint the women in the viking age with what we wish they were doing rather than what was actually going on.

I have to hurry up and finish this one because I have a new one on the way that I am really excited about.

Forum List

Back