What are you reading now?

Out side of the Sea subject I read Don Quixote once a year.
Quiz Question:

Which famous American author late in life bought a pickup camper and hand painted the name of Don Quixote horse Rocinante on the side, and then drove around the country with his pet dog looking for subject matter to write a new novel? .... :cool:
Hemingway?

Dude. Download it free from Project Gutenberg. I told you that. But if you liked TYBtM you'll love this one. Anyway, heaps of free books out of copyright at Gutenberg. Damn near all of Twain, for example. Check it out.
Thanks for the heads up but I like holding a physical book in my hands that after reading I can add to my home library. .... :cool:
Way better for your eyes. I like the feel of the book in my hand also. My work is highly technical, when i get free time I like to rid myself of tech. I think the world has gone crazy because we have lost touch with nature and the real world. Every one is now only interested in their phone. On saterday morning I will get on a boat at about seven thirty and the first thing I will say to the other guys is that if your fucking phone rings you swim the fuck home. The next thing will be give your five bucks for the biggest croppie pool. Weight not length wins good luck.

Steinbeck maybe, Travels with Charley. Or not.
edited

Last edited:
If you like Steinbeck I recommend the tales of his experiences as a war correspondent, Once There Was a War. Better than his fiction imo. Much like Twain, where his biographical stuff is more charming than his inventions.

For those who liked the Shackelford thing, you might read The Terror, which is about a two-ship expedition to find the 'Northwest Passage" to the Pacific. It is fictionalized, because both ships were lost with all aboard, but the descriptions of the people, the culture, the difficulties of navigating the artic, are interesting, and the story line is good. For reasons that I can't understand, the author injected a bit of the supernatural. Check it out.

Also, dudes might like a series that starts with the book 1832. It is science fiction with a huge dose of European history thrown in. The scenario is that a large section of contemporary West Virginia is magically transplanted into Europe of 1832, in an area that is now southern Germany. Very fascinating, and it is only the first of a continuing series of books. They have a number of assets that come with them: vehicles, firearms, and the buildings within the transplanted area, including a town, school, and so on. But of course there is no gas in 1832...

Read it. You might get hooked.

I read the entire Poldark series (13 books) last year. Although it is largely a chick story I found it interesting for its cultural insights. It is better than the PBS series, but PBS follows it pretty closely. Interestingly, there is a 13 year gap between the publication of the 12th and 13th book. Apparently fans were hounding Winston Graham for years to write another one and sew up some of the story lines. But he's dead now, and unlike Jon Snow, he ain't coming back so no more Poldark books.

At the End of the Century: The Stories of Ruth Prawer Jhabvala

I read quite a lot and I always have since I was in middle school. Seems like I am always engrossed in some star system light years away fighting lizard people, or a time travel adventure or something. Today I started reading Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana jr. It's about a young man living in the 1830's who becomes ill and has his vision affected and with no medical remedy around, decides to sign up for a two year voyage from Boston to the west coast of the north American continent to load skins to sell. It was a trip for him to recover or die. Fortunately he recovered his vision and went on the write the book.
It's very detailed and tells the reader what daily life aboard the 85 foot Brig "Pilgrim" was like. Below is a recreation of the ship.

Pilgrim-TALL-SHIP.-W.Ross_-600x413.jpg

According to the book there were about 15 people aboard and they were very busy. They continually had to put up and take down the sails depending on the weather, and had to be on watch around the clock. So the sailors life was one kept busy! They had a compass and maritime chronometer and the ability to sail by the stars. The voyage took two years and is a wonderful tale of adventure on the high seas without all the hollywood hype thrown in. A good read if you are interested in history or sea going vessels of that period.

I figured I should post this to dispel some of the nasty rumors that I "can't read". ;)
238233E1-8FAB-40CC-BEC0-4F72AB13565F.jpeg

Bought a military history of the battle Kursk last week; I sort of read it but it is much more of a reference book than a story type history , written by Glantz and House. I do a lot of simulation war gaming with my brothers and a few friends, and this book has very extensive OBs for both sides and some 40 maps, and we all have sets of counters from Squad Leader game sets for small scale platoon level games up to counters for grand tactical and strategic scale gaming as well as being good enough with Paint and other art programs to make our own counter sets from card stock on home printers.

You can also find such sets online ready to print, if you're diligent enough to find them. It came out in 1999 but I never wanted to pay full price for it, and back then most simulationists were still fighting Waterloo or D-Day over and over and over again. Some are free, the better ones cost a few bucks but are worth it if you're good at printing stuff out and like really nice counters.

I'm reading A Time For Mercy, by John Grisham- it's a fictional story about a 16 year old kid who is immature, physically and emotionally, who shot an off duty cop (his Mothers boy friend) who was passed out drunk and had knocked his Mother unconscious (the boy and his sister thought she was dead) who constantly abused (physically' verbally and psychologically) his Mother, sister and himself.
It delves into the trauma and emotion from both sides of the equation and how some people are predisposed for revenge, right or wrong.

It makes you think- as hard as some find that to do, beyond their small and shallow minded pre-conceived notions-

It reminds me, sorta, about the movie, 12 Angry Men that starred Henry Fonda-

Forum List

Back