'What are we protecting?' Wild horse advocates at odds with each other over adequate management plans

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011

Sounds like there are too many "stakeholders" involved.
Can't get in the link. What is the overpopulation creating. Starving is natures way of control

That's weird. I can get into it. Yep, drought and now facing starvation.

Had to open the link in another browser that gave me the option to choose "no thanks".

I believe this is the crux of the issue. The BLM is caught between horse advocates and cattlemen lobbying groups. Specifically, letting the horses run free no matter where they are, or rounding them up (with helicopters???) and relocating them to where they don't compete for resources with ranching establishments..which is probably a tall order, even the west.

“The problem is that we have to determine what are we protecting? Is it genetics? Is it the herd’s family structure? Is it fertility control – what kind and when – or is it to fulfill the wishes from lobbying groups such as the Utah Cattlemen’s Association to remove horses from the land because they are in direct competition for resources,” Leigh said. “What is the strategy? What are we protecting?

Had to open the link in another browser that gave me the option to choose "no thanks".

I believe this is the crux of the issue. The BLM is caught between horse advocates and cattlemen lobbying groups. Specifically, letting the horses run free no matter where they are, or rounding them up (with helicopters???) and relocating them to where they don't compete for resources with ranching establishments..which is probably a tall order, even the west.

“The problem is that we have to determine what are we protecting? Is it genetics? Is it the herd’s family structure? Is it fertility control – what kind and when – or is it to fulfill the wishes from lobbying groups such as the Utah Cattlemen’s Association to remove horses from the land because they are in direct competition for resources,” Leigh said. “What is the strategy? What are we protecting?
The last couple of years there has been a huge push on a resolution because they will die of starvation.

Forum List

Back