Were Most Of America's Founding Fathers - Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Founders were generally Christian, ranging from "uh who cares, come here, Dolly" to the devout (Patrick Henry, John Jay).

Four important ones were not Christian: Jefferson, Franklin, Paine, and Allen.

We have always been a nation of Christians, generally, but the Constitution is secular, so, no, we are not a Christian nation.

Last edited:
Who cares?

It makes us a nation founded by Christians but not a Christian nation

Does that mean that nations founded by Jews aren't Jewish States (Israel) or nations founded by Muslims aren't Muslim States (Syria, Iran, etc.)?

The founding documents determine the nature of each of those states, not the founding fathers.
Ours exempt anyone from having a particular faith tradition or any at all. The others proscribe it.
That was pretty easy.

Who cares?

It makes us a nation founded by Christians but not a Christian nation

Does that mean that nations founded by Jews aren't Jewish States (Israel) or nations founded by Muslims aren't Muslim States (Syria, Iran, etc.)?

You don't understand the difference between those countries and the US?

I understand the US just fine. Apparently, you don't. The Christian founders wrote into our Constitution ideals that were based on their Christian faith. They taught that God, not man, defines what our God-given rights are.

Let us assume that America IS founded by Christians(or a majority of Christians).

What would that mean to you? What would that entail?

You don't understand the difference between those countries and the US?

I understand the US just fine. Apparently, you don't. The Christian founders wrote into our Constitution ideals that were based on their Christian faith. They taught that God, not man, defines what our God-given rights are.

Not in the Constitution

I came across a couple of Youtube clips not long ago that were truly enlightening (for me at least). Like most products of the Public School (fool?) System I was kept in the dark concerning the USA's Christian roots. If we (young, impressionable students) were told anything we were told that Jefferson and Franklin were deists but not Christians.

Do you know the preamble for all 50 states?
It might surprise some people.

The Fifty States Reference God in their Constitutions-Truth!

Yes. I've posted the entire list several times on other forums. Every state preamble mentions and gives thanks or honor to a "Supreme Being." Not all the states use the same terminology but all give credit to a Divine God.

And that has what, exactly, to with Huckabee's or Barton's definitions of 'Christian'?

Do you know the preamble for all 50 states?
It might surprise some people.

The Fifty States Reference God in their Constitutions-Truth!

Yes. I've posted the entire list several times on other forums. Every state preamble mentions and gives thanks or honor to a "Supreme Being." Not all the states use the same terminology but all give credit to a Divine God.

And that has what, exactly, to with Huckabee's or Barton's definitions of 'Christian'?

The Christians I know believe in a Supreme Being called God. Opposed to the atheists I know who deny in a Supreme Being altogether. Since none of the States were founded by Muslims then it's not a huge jump that most were referring to a Christian God (or at least a biblical God).

Our nation was founded by male Christians. It does not mean we are a male nation any more than it means we are a Christian nation

It merely reflects the times. At that time males were in power and Christians were in power. They would not tolerate otherwise

We are a much better nation today than at our founding

Last edited:
For anyone who denies that the USA's Constitution and intent of the founders is NOT influenced by Christianity then you need to read this essay: Christianity and the American Constitution

There's a HUGE difference between the FF having been 'influenced' by Christianity - and their having intended to promote Christianity over other faith traditions in the US.

What the FF *did* promote was individual conscience wherever it was possible to do so without destroying the social fabric. The phrase 'all men are created equal' is one way in English to indicate 'all human beings' - as opposed to 'male White Christians', which is the interpretation some have put on that phrase.

As for 'Supreme Being' - that is 'doctrine -neutral' and covers all monotheism, as well as possibly extending to henotheism as well...... Certainly our FF were aware of some of the other religious traditions followed outside of their own society.

The Christians I know believe in a Supreme Being called God. Opposed to the atheists I know who deny in a Supreme Being altogether. Since none of the States were founded by Muslims then it's not a huge jump that most were referring to a Christian God (or at least a biblical God).

Scriptures from the Torah are insribed on our historical monuments.. our liberty bell for one. We have a rich history of Judeo-Christian faith in America. I believe in the G-d of Israel and I believe most Americans do believe He is whether they serve Him or not.

Our nation was founded by male Christians. It does not mean we are a male nation any more than it means we are a Christian nation

It merely reflects the times. At that time males were in power and Christians were in power. They would not tollerate otherwise

The founders were also the wealthiest landowners in the country and they crafted a document very much in support of their ends which has had profound ramifications to our country ever since.
This, of course, in direct opposition to the first church who's members owned nothing.

It merely reflects the times. At that time males were in power and Christians were in power. They would not tollerate otherwise

The founders were also the wealthiest landowners in the country and they crafted a document very much in support of their ends which has had profound ramifications to our country ever since.
This, of course, in direct opposition to the first church who's members owned nothing.

You don't think Paul was rich? How did he pay lawyers to defend himself? What did Paul do to make a living? He made tents. That is the equivalent of your home builder today.

Who was Lydia? She was a seller of Purple. Purple was afforded by the wealthy.

You made this artificial rule that you can do more by giving your money away than by keeping it and using it for good. These are different times.

I disagree.

For anyone who denies that the USA's Constitution and intent of the founders is NOT influenced by Christianity then you need to read this essay: Christianity and the American Constitution

There's a HUGE difference between the FF having been 'influenced' by Christianity - and their having intended to promote Christianity over other faith traditions in the US.

What the FF *did* promote was individual conscience wherever it was possible to do so without destroying the social fabric. The phrase 'all men are created equal' is one way in English to indicate 'all human beings' - as opposed to 'male White Christians', which is the interpretation some have put on that phrase.

As for 'Supreme Being' - that is 'doctrine -neutral' and covers all monotheism, as well as possibly extending to henotheism as well...... Certainly our FF were aware of some of the other religious traditions followed outside of their own society.
Precisely. The FF's knew that religions propagate and they knew that once in control, religious tenets are biased towards themselves and poorly disposed towards competitive belief systems. We don't have to assume their intent -- even if they were Christians (and some of 'em were, some not), the intent is clear: the state is precluded from dictating any and all religious conscience to any free people. Hence, the First Amendment.

Maybe there were some hypocrites?

Of course! I agree with everything you've said, Marge. Except for the last two sentences.

As the founding fathers were believers in G-d, they meant G-d of the Bible not any other god. As you point out they had no intention of forcing others to become christians or have a legal system INFLUENCED by Christianity. It is all men created EQUAL. Which is why we are not executing homosexuals in this country. This was the wisdom of our founding fathers. All men created equal means all men not just men who are Christians. It is a compliment to Christianity that our founding fathers made clear they were not imposing their will on others. Thanks for reading. - Jeri

You don't think Paul was rich? How did he pay lawyers to defend himself? What did Paul do to make a living? He made tents. That is the equivalent of your home builder today.

Who was Lydia? She was a seller of Purple. Purple was afforded by the wealthy.

You made this artificial rule that you can do more by giving your money away than by keeping it and using it for good. These are different times.

I disagree.

I made no such rule.
Peter founded the first church and ALL resources were pooled for the common good.
These are YOUR scriptures.
Embrace them or don't.
It neither breaks my leg nor robs my purse.
Interestingly, you are making the case for cultural relativity and the adaptation of old ideas to a different time.
I agree.
It applies to both religion and founding documents.

Last edited:
Some of them were wealthy and some even owned slaves, sorry. What the founders set up grew to the undisputed champ of the globe and liberals are determined to reverse it.

One doesn't have to "promote" Christianity in order to create a Constitution that is influenced by Christian doctrine.

The fact that Christ never forced anyone to accept Him or His doctrine is evidence that forcing such things was not His intent or purpose. He has always maintained a person's right to choose for himself. Therefore, the fact that Christianity was NOT forced upon the populace (as the King of England and the Anglican Church did in England) is evidence of one of Christ's principles.

The fact that a "Supreme Being" is mentioned in State Preambles is evidence that our nation wasn't purely "secular" as modern historians would have an ignorant public believe. In other words, founding fathers and state founders gave credit to a power greater than man for the blessing of nationhood or statehood. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back