Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

We had chicken quarters, brined..then rubbed with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, cayenne and s&p.
Along with roasted corn on the cob, roasted in the husks.

Tonight it was "taco boats" that my sister makes. She uses pre-made shells, which ARE shaped like little boats. She fills them with a spicy soy product that is quite tasty, lettuce, diced tomatoes and salsa. Added on the side is spicy vegetarian refried beans. Mighty tasty! AND plenty of grated cheese.
Sounds interesting. I'm still hooked on my home made tacos
with ground beef from 1 of 2 local stores and all fresh ingredients. Mexican rice.
Home made refried beans are easy to make- basically boiled pinto beans, then you can find lots or recipes online. Real cheddar cheese of course - very important. These are good if you like thin crunchy shells....
0072134555710_CL_hyvee_default_large.jpeg
Thanks, Angelo. Your recipe sounds mighty tasty!
Anytime. I'm working on some healthy bread, pasta and pizza dough recipes too.

(taco meat)
Brown the ground beef, then add chopped onions, fresh garlic and whatever kind or peppers you like, then use your own spices or a couple of those mixed in a packet (basically chili powder and cumin) and either beef stock and some tomato paste or fresh tomato sauce if you have it....not too much. Simmer for at least 20 or 30 minutes.

I like to add fresh pico de gallo to the meat. My family is weird in that they won't spoon it on top of the tacos if I just put it on the table, but they love it when it's mixed into the meat. Go figure.

I like to add fresh pico de gallo to the meat. My family is weird in that they won't spoon it on top of the tacos if I just put it on the table, but they love it when it's mixed into the meat. Go figure.

That is weird. Pico de gallo is a raw condiment, basically uncooked salsa. I love it and Bonz had it the first time when she came here and it is her favorite condiment now. Doesn't make sense to cook it.

That is weird. Pico de gallo is a raw condiment, basically uncooked salsa. I love it and Bonz had it the first time when she came here and it is her favorite condiment now. Doesn't make sense to cook it.

I don't really cook it. I brown and spice the meat, and then right before I put it on the table, I mix in the pico de gallo. My main purpose is to add some produce to their diet.

I don't know why they won't put it on top of the tacos. They'll eat it as dip with corn chips, and they all love tomatoes, onions, etc. Just, for some reason, they don't think to spoon it on top of the tacos.

I don't really cook it. I brown and spice the meat, and then right before I put it on the table, I mix in the pico de gallo. My main purpose is to add some produce to their diet.

I don't know why they won't put it on top of the tacos. They'll eat it as dip with corn chips, and they all love tomatoes, onions, etc. Just, for some reason, they don't think to spoon it on top of the tacos.
Ah... I thought you were saying you put it in the meat prior to cooking.
For me, it also adds a crunch/texture to tacos... it would seem adding it to hot meat would soften it?

Ah... I thought you were saying you put it in the meat prior to cooking.
For me, it also adds a crunch/texture to tacos... it would seem adding it to hot meat would soften it?

A bit, but let's face it: my family wolfs it down too fast for it to have much time to soften. ;)

Tonight it was fish sticks and french fries. Quite a few LESS fries than I used to eat before I was diagnosed at being diabetic. There are lots of carbs in most french fries, and I really have to watch my carb intake now. But I'm OK with that. And less fish sticks, as well, because of the breading/coating.

Pork shoulder marinated overnight in a citrus mojo, (to be pulled) cilantro lime sauce and mango salsa on the side is this evenings fare.

Bon Appetit!

I am making homemade pizza tonight. Before the Big Hunkering, I bought a small supply of Italian chef's flour. I only use it for pizza dough and focaccia - it's soft! The dough is fabulous. I just finished making the sauce - and will start the dough in 2 hours and 19 minutes. The pizza will be ready about 3.5 hours after the procedure commences.

I like fresh just fresh mozzarella for my toppings, but I add pepperoni for mr. boe. He likes meat on pizza.

Forum List

Back