....well, the Select Committee is about to step into the batter's box...

This Committee is the only means we have to get to the bottom of it all.
Only a moron such as yourself intentionally denigrates every office and branch of the government that doesn't agree with his assessment and clings to a partisan select committee. As usual, you are extremely verbose but you don't say much that makes any sense.

This clown car shit show is going to get lower ratings than Gilligan's Island re-runs.....Anyone watching it should be an object of universal riT
Both sides chose to live in an echo chamber, Why would you ever want to hear anything that go's against your chosen view point. So much better that America stays a divided hate filled country.

They'll just deny everything. Fake news. No matter what. Then they'll play the victim. Then they'll deflect. Then they'll attack. Regular stuff.

I doubt this goes anywhere unless someone near the top flips with incontrovertible evidence. It took someone close to bring down Gotti.
It won't move the needle with the Right wing but I'm sure they hope to move the needle with independents.

Today's Washington Post has an interesting article about what is intended to be demonstrated when the televised hearings begin this week.
I cannot copy & past the entire long article (I would refer you to your digital subscription of the Post for that). But, I can offer you a taster of the coverage.

I found it particularly relevant following Maggie Halberman's (in Friday's New York Times) reportage....that Pence's staff had grown so alarmed over the safety of Pence following the stoking of animosity and anger towards him by the POTUS-at-the-time that they alerted the Secret Service that protection should be increased. They saw the storm that was coming by Trump's irresponsible rhetoric in front of crowds. (I'd recommend you open your digital subscription to the Times to read Halberman's reportage from Friday.)

Anyway, here is a taster from today's Washington Post:

"Almost a year after the formation of the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, lawmakers are set to take their case public.

On Thursday night, Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) and Vice Chairwoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) will launch a series of televised hearings featuring a combination of live witnesses, pretaped interviews with figures that include Trump family members and previously unseen video footage.
The hearings mark the culmination of an inquiry that has involved more than 1,000 interviews and reviews of more than 125,000 records. Taken together, the work represents the most comprehensive record yet of the deadly assault, and which panel members have come to believe stands out as only the most visible evidence of a broader plot to undermine American democracy — one that emanated from the White House.

To tell that story, the committee will draw on testimony from administration insiders, including a previously obscure aide who has given the committee a detailed reconstruction of meetings and movements in the West Wing. The committee also has video recordings of interviews with Trump’s daughter Ivanka and her husband, Jared Kushner, that some inside the process believe will make for gripping television.

But the end result of the committee’s efforts remains an open question. Public opinions about Jan. 6 and about former president Donald Trump have long since hardened into competing blocs, making it difficult to break through, even with prime-time programming."

(the above underlining is by my avatar.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should be interesting television. Historical television, in my opinion.
Of course, it will be compared to the Watergate Hearings.
We'll see how this committee presents its' findings.
Ready to take their cae public...

So does that mean Pelosi has finally agreed to testify?

"So does that mean Pelosi has finally agreed to testify?"
I do not know.
Perhaps you could--tomorrow ---contact her office.
Or, if there is a public-contact resource for the Committee itself you could contact them directly.

If you would, please let the forum know how your contacts went and any information that you garner.

Thanx in advance.

Chillicothe writes:

"Well, yes, as the Post article references there are those whose position has hardened into their partisan bloc of beliefs and no facts revealed by a paper-trail or witness testimony will dislodge them from their pre-established convictions.
So be it.
I doubt the Committee expects to 'convince' every American citizen that Trump and his enablers did some bad juju leading up to the January 6th attack on Congress.

Rather, we all can hope that a credible authoritative historical record about who said what, did what, and when and how --- is established. Anything beyond that is likely mere hopefulness."

===

There is nothing credible about a committee that is illegal from the start there was no organized attack under orders from Trump and his advisors either or they wouldn't be doing this at all but proceed to indictments and trial by now after all the paper trail and 1,000 plus people with assist from the FBI and DOJ should have been enough.

This is clearly a show trial nothing more.

"As usual, you are extremely verbose....."

Well, yes, some of my words are multi-syllable. I do realize that could challenge some posters.

But also, much...most (?).... of the verbiage I've offered on this thread were pulled quotes....from either the Washington Post, or directly from our fellow posters. So what you read likely came originally from others.

You can determine that, poster Concerned, by either quote marks (") bracketing the sentences.....or the name of the quoted poster at the top of the pulled quote, similar to how your avatar name is listed above in this very post.

Good luck.

The "kangaroo court" analogy is not new in this thread. It has been used by others.
That, however, does not validate it. Or elevate it.

The poster above, like others before him, wishes to ignore the need ---and the desire ---for a full accounting of January 6th, and the lead-up to it. Who were the players, what did they say and do, and to what effect?

Attacking and damaging the Capitol of the United States of America, and in the process attacking and injuring over 140 uniformed officers, may seem merely theatrical to any who attempt to use 'theatre' or 'kangaroo' as their leitmotif for framing the riot and attack as merely "legitimate political discourse" (as the Republican National Committee actually called it), but the article referred to in the OP describes it differently.

In that article this was included:
(I would recommend all to subscribe to the Post's digital service) (also, emphasis is by my avatar)
  • "........the hearings will represent a historic moment, one in which the committee unveils evidence of what it has described in court filings as “a criminal conspiracy to defraud the United States.” “Either way, these hearings are very important in getting that information out there,” said Norm Eisen, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution...."
  • The first hearing is likely to provide the American public with an opening argument and overview of the events on the day rioters assaulted the Capitol, as well as the weeks that preceded it. ".... the committee will attempt to place the story of the violence at the Capitol in the context of a broader, multi-tentacled plot to overturn the results of Joe Biden’s electoral victory, with Trump’s involvement serving as the through line.
  • "The hearings that follow this month — there are expected to be at least six in all — will drill down on particular aspects of that plot."
  • The final hearing is likely to be led by Reps. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) and Elaine Luria (D-Va.) and focused primarily on Trump: what he did, what went on around him, and what he said before Jan. 6 and on that day."
--------------------------------------------------------------

So, while some posters wish to denigrate any attempt to investigate and analyze the totality of the January 6th debacle.....others want only a full accounting. And for that, this Committee is our best hope. They are the game. Like it or not.

We cannot depend upon Kevin McCarthy or Mitch McConnell...both of who immediately blamed Trump. But since, have obfuscated.
We cannot depend upon the Federalist Society, or the Supreme Court to do it. Or that GOP National Committee. Or CPAC.
This Committee is the only means we have to get to the bottom of it all.

We hope it provides America with answers on who is blame-able for the attack on our Representatives, the injury to those police officers.....and the damage to our American democracy.

Call it a 'kangaroo court' or 'kabuki theatre' or whatever. That's up to each individual poster according to the degree of their partisan thinking. But loyal patriotic Americans want an accounting, and we want culpability attached for wrongdoing.

I hope I am clear on that.
Wrong. Loyal Americans may agree that some of the behaviors of the small subset of protestors that day crossed a line. But loyal Americans see this charade for what it is. You applaud it precisely because you are a hyper partisan anti-Trumper and love anything that might be used to smear him. And it doesn’t bother you in the tiniest, slightest little bit that the actual agenda of this committee has nothing at all to do with it’s stated purpose.

"There is nothing credible about a committee that is illegal from the start there was no organized attack under orders from Trump and his advisors either or they wouldn't be doing this at all but proceed to indictments and trial by now after all the paper trail and 1,000 plus people with assist from the FBI and DOJ should have been enough.........This is clearly a show trial nothing more."
----------------------------------------------------------
A 'show trial'???

Well, perhaps poster Sunset....the hearings will 'show' if there was or was not a purposeful attack ordered or approved by Trump or advisors?
I dunno. But that's kinda what such Committee's are intended to uncover and reveal to Americans. No?

As far as 'proceeding to indictment'.....well, I ain't a lawyer, but am confident that if criminal actions are clearly evidenced then, perhaps, the DOJ could bring an indictment. I guess we have to see what the 'show trial' shows on that development. No?

Wrong. Loyal Americans may agree that some of the behaviors of the small subset of protestors that day crossed a line. But loyal Americans see this charade for what it is. You applaud it precisely because you are a hyper partisan anti-Trumper and love anything that might be used to smear him. And it doesn’t bother you in the tiniest, slightest little bit that the actual agenda of this committee has nothing at all to do with it’s stated purpose.

Which is, to continue to divide our Country!!

Well, yes, some of my words are multi-syllable. I do realize that could challenge some posters.

But also, much...most (?).... of the verbiage I've offered on this thread were pulled quotes....from either the Washington Post, or directly from our fellow posters. So what you read likely came originally from others.

You can determine that, poster Concerned, by either quote marks (") bracketing the sentences.....or the name of the quoted poster at the top of the pulled quote, similar to how your avatar name is listed above in this very post.

Good luck.
“Verbosity” has nothing to do with your use of multisyllabic words. 🙄 Your propensity to be condescending also doesn’t mean that you have a good or valid basis to consider yourself superior to others. Thought you might benefit from contemplating those things.

A 'show trial'???

Well, perhaps poster Sunset....the hearings will 'show' if there was or was not a purposeful attack ordered or approved by Trump or advisors?
I dunno. But that's kinda what such Committee's are intended to uncover and reveal to Americans. No?

As far as 'proceeding to indictment'.....well, I ain't a lawyer, but am confident that if criminal actions are clearly evidenced then, perhaps, the DOJ could bring an indictment. I guess we have to see what the 'show trial' shows on that development. No?
I'd actually be fully satisfied if they just present the facts to the historical record. We need to at least know what actually happened. If what those people tried to do isn't important enough to Americans, then we deserve what we get.

My bigger question is what the DOJ plans, if anything. But the same rule applies: If we're going to let them get away with this, we deserve what we get.

"You applaud it precisely because you are a hyper partisan anti-Trumper and love anything that might be used to smear him."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's a strange and remarkable assertion.
To which I demur.
Can you offer the forum vetting on it?
A source other than your own personal opinion or similar personal opinions of such caliber?

FWIW, I thought my avatar was clear that the Committee's most beneficial function is to give America...and the world.....a clear description and accounting of the players, the decisions, and the impacts....not to mention, the events that were so alarmingly evident to those of us who watched that deplorable attack on the telly in real-time.

America wants to know who decided what, said what, directed what, and what the players did.....either putting the attack in motion, or clubbing down an officer with a hammer. We want to know.

And I would submit, patriotic responsible Americans need to know.

A 'show trial'???

From YOUR OWN first post:

"On Thursday night, Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) and Vice Chairwoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) will launch a series of televised hearings featuring a combination of live witnesses, pretaped interviews with figures that include Trump family members and previously unseen video footage.

The hearings mark the culmination of an inquiry that has involved more than 1,000 interviews and reviews of more than 125,000 records. Taken together, the work represents the most comprehensive record yet of the deadly assault, and which panel members have come to believe stands out as only the most visible evidence of a broader plot to undermine American democracy — one that emanated from the White House.

To tell that story, the committee will draw on testimony from administration insiders, including a previously obscure aide who has given the committee a detailed reconstruction of meetings and movements in the West Wing. The committee also has video recordings of interviews with Trump’s daughter Ivanka and her husband, Jared Kushner, that some inside the process believe will make for gripping television."

=====

They clearly have enough to Prosecute with it what is holding the DOJ back?

They are doing what is normally called a KANGAROO COURT

Merriam-Webster says: "a mock court in which the principles of law and justice are disregarded or perverted"

You have been badly conned by the hyper partisan J6 committee participants.

Last edited:
I'd actually be fully satisfied if they just present the facts to the historical record. We need to at least know what actually happened. If what those people tried to do isn't important enough to Americans, then we deserve what we get.

My bigger question is what the DOJ plans, if anything. But the same rule applies: If we're going to let them get away with this, we deserve what we get.

This solely Dimm politicized committee is the last place we'll find out exactly what happened!
You're suspect delusional, boyo!!

Forum List

Back