Welfare Was Great...Until Blacks Started Getting It.

Yep, that's what I said.

Aid to Families with Dependent Children was established by the Social Security Act of 1935 to enable states to provide cash welfare payments for needy children whose father or mother was absent from the home, incapacitated, deceased, or unemployed.

It was a program that was initially only given to whites. For 30 years this was done with no complaints from whites. In those days white women were encouraged to stay home and not work. If no man was there this program took care of white mothers without jobs.

America Is Brutal to Parents. Biden Is Trying to Change That.
April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

The original Aid to Dependent Children program — which would become Aid to Families With Dependent Children — began during the New Deal. It was meant, as the Supreme Court described it in 1975, “to free widowed and divorced mothers from the necessity of working, so that they could remain home to supervise their children.”

Eligibility was determined by states and localities, which found various ways to exclude Black women. With the civil rights revolution in the 1960s, however, more Black mothers were able to receive benefits. As they did, conservatives started demonizing “welfare mothers” as indolent Black women, even though there continued to be more white women than Black women on A.F.D.C.

In “The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together,” Heather McGhee detailed how support for public goods collapsed among white people once Black people had access to them. This very much includes relief for parents and children.

“The fear of lazy Black mothers who would reproduce without working goes really deep in this country,” McGhee told me. It’s hard to imagine how a proposal for automatic cash payments to families could have gone anywhere during decades of moral panic about Black mothers luxuriating on the dole.

Yep -- dig DEEP for your outrage. Like 1935 deep. Things SUCKED in 1935.. Did you not know that?

Never talk about present or future. Welfare STILL Great for whites. Lots more poor whites than blacks.. So -- federal child support AINT RACIST and neither are attempts to MANAGE it..
Systemic racist since that 1930s...and you're ok with it
How is welfare systemic racism?

Yep, that's what I said.

Aid to Families with Dependent Children was established by the Social Security Act of 1935 to enable states to provide cash welfare payments for needy children whose father or mother was absent from the home, incapacitated, deceased, or unemployed.

It was a program that was initially only given to whites. For 30 years this was done with no complaints from whites. In those days white women were encouraged to stay home and not work. If no man was there this program took care of white mothers without jobs.

How racism has shaped welfare policy in America since 1935

Alma CartenAugust 21, 2016

The ADC was an extension of the state-operated mothers’ pension programs, where white widows were the primary beneficiaries. The criteria for eligibility and need were state-determined, so blacks continued to be barred from full participation because the country operated under the “separate but equal” doctrine adopted by the Supreme Court in 1896.

Jim Crow Laws and the separate but equal doctrine resulted in the creation of a two-track service delivery system in both law and custom, one for whites and one for blacks that were anything but equal.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

The original Aid to Dependent Children program — which would become Aid to Families With Dependent Children — began during the New Deal. It was meant, as the Supreme Court described it in 1975, “to free widowed and divorced mothers from the necessity of working, so that they could remain home to supervise their children.”

Eligibility was determined by states and localities, which found various ways to exclude Black women. With the civil rights revolution in the 1960s, however, more Black mothers were able to receive benefits. As they did, conservatives started demonizing “welfare mothers” as indolent Black women, even though there continued to be more white women than Black women on A.F.D.C.

In “The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together,” Heather McGhee detailed how support for public goods collapsed among white people once Black people had access to them. This very much includes relief for parents and children.

“The fear of lazy Black mothers who would reproduce without working goes really deep in this country,” McGhee told me. It’s hard to imagine how a proposal for automatic cash payments to families could have gone anywhere during decades of moral panic about Black mothers luxuriating on the dole.

Of course the whites never complained.
You didn't mind the blacks doing all the crap jobs, paying taxes and fighting and dying for the same country but deny them same benefits because he's black.
How charming and benevolent indeed.

Yep, that's what I said.

The ADC was an extension of the state-operated mothers’ pension programs, where white widows were the primary beneficiaries. The criteria for eligibility and need were state-determined, so blacks continued to be barred from full participation because the country operated under the “separate but equal” doctrine adopted by the Supreme Court in 1896.

Jim Crow Laws and the separate but equal doctrine resulted in the creation of a two-track service delivery system in both law and custom, one for whites and one for blacks that were anything but equal.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

You didn't mind the blacks doing all the crap jobs, paying taxes and fighting and dying for the same country but deny them same benefits because he's black.
Dude you stuck in ancient history get with the times and look out the window. I can't fix the world but I guarantee that me and my family don't make judgements based on race.

Yes, I have an anti Muslim bias, but Muslim isn't a race. I also have an anti Christian bias but nobody bitches about that.

Yep, that's what I said.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

Yep -- dig DEEP for your outrage. Like 1935 deep. Things SUCKED in 1935.. Did you not know that?

Never talk about present or future. Welfare STILL Great for whites. Lots more poor whites than blacks.. So -- federal child support AINT RACIST and neither are attempts to MANAGE it..
I don't have to dig deep. But I can state the history of racist public policy. Because this policy was changed in 1995 based on the racist perception that my OP was titled for. And since 1995 was in your lifetime you can't use that sorry punk ass excuse.

U lied in the OPost when you said SocSec "was not available to blacks". I gave the ACCURATE historic background that ACKNOWLEDGES that racist Dems approved of disproportionately excluding blacks by excluding farm and domestic workers. But there were OTHER historical reasons for excluding those workers.. And there was a TIME -- when all these programs had a FUNDING mechanism..

By 1995, there was NO FUNDING mechanism and it had become PURE WELFARE... And at the SAME TIME -- DEMOCRATS were advocating "raising the salary cap" and delaying eligibility ages to take UNIVERSAL PROGRAMS that benefit everyone equallly and turning SocSec in yet another welfare program and destroying the UNIVERSAL nature of the program.

Same percentages of whites on welfare despite TRILLIONS in New Deal and Great Society funding. Diff was -- "the cycle of poverty".. Where black families structure was being disassembled BY THE VERY WELFARE programs you like so much. In the 30s and 40s, a mother could LOSE her benefits by just having a man in the household.

By the 90s -- you could LOSE your govt housing for having a firearm or not volunteering for clean-up duties or have a NEPHEW bring an ounce of pot onto the premises.. All those programs come with a price in self dependence and freedoms.

What YOU'RE pushing in the OPost by praying to holy Biden for MORE child care programs and MORE "early education" is not gonna HELP the rebuild solid family structure and break the cycle..

The govt is a POOR nanny.. Biden already ADOPTED over 50,000 "foster kids" from Central America in the past couple months. Importing them like bananas -- treating them like commodities with NO PURPOSE and little TRUE compassion.. After another 150,000 get invited up to Uncle Sam's orphanage (and receive a comp copy of Kammies baby book about HEROES) -- you MIGHT REALIZE that Unk Sam is kinda busy and out of his fucking mind...

Yep, that's what I said.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

Systemic racist since that 1930s...and you're ok with it

OH HELL NO... I'm just pointing out that BIG GOVT in US was purveyor of SYSTEMIC racism from the Civil War to the 60s -- not me.. THEY forced segregation and unequal housing and services on blacks -- I DID NOT.. ALL of the worst shit going down thanks to the DEMOCRATS of those times -- INCLUDING "Saint FDR" especially.

And I'm pointing out that IM2 praying to Biden to have MORE OF THAT -- is a sign of excessive masochism and mental masturbation..

Watched "The Great Debaters" last night. One of my favorite movies. In the same vein as "October Sky" was for poor white coal mining families. Breaking that "Cycle" is the key.. Not more Unk Sam run orphanages...

Yep, that's what I said.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

You blacks sure do love that white privilege welfare system, created by whites for whites.

If you don’t like it, why don’t you try Africa’s welfare system?
You bitch about the government all the time. So get on the first flight back to Europe.
Because America is an extension of European culture.

You speak English, a white mans language. Our entire society is based off English and European culture and law. Made by whites, for whites. I don’t get why you morons think a bunch of white colonists from Europe we’re going to build a new country for Africans in the 1600’s through the 1800’s.

Your ancestors were captured by African tribes and made slaves, and sold to Spanish slave traders. White Americans freed them from the evil Democrats that bought and used them. But for some reason you continue to reject your motherland, and instead prefer the White European society that is America. You’re the one that begs for White Privilege. You want us to pay for your welfare, just like your ancestors were taken care of by their masters.
Where should these Americaans go in Africa ? One of the unfortunate affects of the slave trade is that folk somehow lost touch with their homeland and neglected their history and language.
As well as being a big place "that Africa" is a lot of different places with different cultures ,religions and languages.

Where should people go ?
They can go to any of the many African nations. Lots of choices, no excuses. I know you’re a racist and think blacks are too dumb to learn a new language or are too dumb to pick up African culture, but I think they can,
But why should they. They built the US and died for it in wars. It belongs to them.
They didn’t build the US, white colonists did and their descendants. The negro slaves were used for cheap labor, that is all. If they weren’t around we would had just imported more Irish or used Indians or Mexicans.

That’s what the Democratic Party still does today, they fight for the right of corporations to exploit third world immigrants for their cheap labor.

Learn a bit.. Use some of your favorite sources like Glen Beck who did a V-Blog about black contributors to the Revolutionary War and the Founding.. They WERE HERE. They were a small percentage of free men, but they DID contribute more than their fair share...

Three parts -- this is part one.. Bet some our black buds might learn something also..

Yep, that's what I said.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

You mean it AINT RACIST anymore?

1935 was the Great DEMOCRAT SAVIOUR -- FDR, that Biden is channeling with his "Go Big" crap.. And IM2 has been brain-fogged to believe that the RACISM DIDN'T START with the key Democrats behind the New Deal.. All pedigreed racists.

It's complicated. Too complicated for USMB.. But the 1935 START of massive social programs was keystoned by the Social Security bill which included the beginning of THREE programs that exist today -- SocSec, ADC (now AFDC) and Old Age Insurance -- the link below explains it.

The RACISM was that the FUNDING for all these programs came from the SAME SOURCE - which were the new "payroll taxes" or FICA payments from employers/employees. In THOSE days, only actual companies had the acccounting and payroll chops to HANDLE that feature.. So the bill EXCLUDED -- AGRICULTURAL AND DOMESTIC WORKERS.. There is the basis for the "racism".. YES -- that affected poor blacks disproportionately, but several sides could be argued here. One is that ALL THOSE PROGRAMS were likely to fail if the CONTRIBUTIONS THRU FICA could not be gleaned from small farms or individuals who hired domestic help.. The other is that the THEN POWERFUL Southern Democrats kinda LIKED the fact that blacks were disproportionally affected.

Social Security Admin has been beat up for DECADES over that decision -- so they have a long - winded paper on their website about the ACTUAL HISTORY of these events. (Link Below)..

Over the years, accounting and payroll got more organized, the exclusions CAME OFF and things progressed. But it wasn't until the 80s and 90s that ALL of this made those programs COMPLETELY "universal"...

Alston and Ferrie (1999, chapter 3), in their book Southern Paternalism and the American Welfare State, offered a variation on this account. They argued that class—in the form of racially based landlord/tenant paternalism—played a stronger role than simple race prejudice or other factors, such as federalism, in shaping the programs under the Social Security Act in general and relative to the coverage exclusions in particular.

Probably the best detailed look at the exclusion issue in the academic literature is provided by Lieberman (1998)—Shifting the Color Line. Lieberman did not suggest that any members of Congress were the direct agents of the coverage exclusions, although he did imply that the coverage exclusions were some-how engineered by Southern members of Congress. Here, for example, is one way he described the exclusions: "the CES's [Committee on Economic Security] decision that all workers should be covered came under immediate and persistent question at the hearings … In the end, an important step behind congressional acceptance of a national program of old-age insurance was the racial manipulation of the program's target population so that a national program was sure to be a segregated one" (39). At another point he summarized the history this way: "In order to pass national old-age and unemployment insurance plans, the Roosevelt administration had to compromise inclusiveness and accept the exclusion of agricultural and domestic employees from the program, with notably imbalanced racial consequences" (25).

As we will see, these kinds of generalizations overlook the degree to which members of the Roosevelt administration were the principal advocates of the coverage exclusions—the administration did not have to "accept" the exclusions; it was the source of the idea.

The fact that many authors have mistaken the evidence in Witte as showing something it manifestly does not is especially surprising because Witte discussed the Title II coverage exclusions in his book, in the section "Exemption of Agriculture and Domestic Service." Here is Witte's (1962) explanation of how the coverage decision came about:

The staff of the Committee on Economic Security recommended that the old age insurance taxes and benefits be limited to industrial workers, excluding persons engaged in agriculture and domestic service. The Committee on Economic Security struck out this limitation and recommended that the old age insurance system be made applicable to all employed persons. This change was made largely at the insistence of Mr. Hopkins, but was favored also by Secretary Perkins.
Subordinate officials in the Treasury, particularly those in charge of internal revenue collections, objected to such inclusive coverage on the score that it would prove administratively impossible to collect payroll taxes le. Secretary Morgenthau presented this view in his testimony before the Ways and Means Committee … In the executive sessions of the Ways and Means Committee, the recommendations of Secretary Morgenthau were adopted, practically without dissent. (152–154)
So the historical evidence of record tells a very different story than that associated with a racial motivation behind the Title II coverage exclusions. Before we look at the historical evidence in careful detail, we need to examine the logic underlying the race explanation.

Extra credit for any HONEST USMB member that wants to READ THAT and THEN discuss the history of racism in American Welfare...
I know all this. But your dishonestly lies in the fact that northern repubublicans cut deals and compromised with southern racists in order to get provisions of the new deal passed.

WOW.. We all agree on ACTUAL HISTORY.. Was that so hard?? I actually CHOSE clips from the SocSec article that say JUST THAT...

But I still have a feeling you brought up all this sludge from 1935 just to lobby for MORE Big Government nannyism from Great Granpappy Biden..

Big Govt nannyism is WHAT MADE AMERICA "systemically racist" for 100 years after the Civil War and Emancipation..

If ya KNOW ALL THIS HISTORY about 1935, Doesn't it give ya the willies just a bit when Biden and members of his Admin start publicly modeling themselves after the NEW DEAL???

You'd have to be stupid to NOT get the willies...

Here ya go IM2 .. If you don't a mild case of willies knowing what ya know about FDR and "racist welfare" -- then you're not as smart as you think you are and have no sense of self-preservation..

Biden chose the location in Warm Springs, which is about an hour southwest of Atlanta and not far from the Alabama border, to recall Roosevelt, who retreated to the idyllic town for treatment of his polio.

Biden said he would mold his presidency after Roosevelt, who steered the nation through the Great Depression and World War II.

“This place represented a way forward … for healing,” Biden said. “The years that followed, FDR would come back often to think about how to heal the nation and the world. And that’s exactly what he did.”

Aint that a double shovel of bovine scat?? THIS is who you're worshipping as Moses.. Seems like YOU ought to be lecturing HIM on 1935... NOT ME...

And since 1995 was in your lifetime you can't use that sorry punk ass excuse.
I grew up in south Alabama in the 60s. Raised by a single parent and ate more than a few meals purchased with "food stamps". I never attended a public school without black classmates. For the sake of discussion, let's assume your entire premise is accurate in every detail. Racism against blacks was/is real and further progress is possible.
Care to enlighten us on how perpetually focusing on race will lead to better outcomes?
I gotta say, your emphasis seems focused on assigning culpability far more than seeking peaceful coexistence. Your anger comes through in every post. It almost appears that you are more interested in retribution than the betterment of blacks in America.
THAT is a path best avoided. In my experience in the south, great improvements have occurred. The prevalence of interracial couples should be proof to reasonable people that we've made huge progress. When Americans of ANY race refuse to acknowledge the progress and to continually seek redress for "sins" of decades, long past, we run a real risk of burning down what took so long to build. So, are you more concerned with advancement or revenge?

This is the single best post in this entire thread.

Very well stated...

So let me get this straight. Taxes were taken from black workers to pay a benefit to exclusively white women ?
Tommy Taint is a British Jew who revels in setting Gentile against Gentile. Too bad, IM2 is so full of hatred that it is easy prey to the Jewish machinations. More's the pity. Meanwhile, I hope, someday, by some miracle, I run into Tommy taint on the street. Just me and that cur.

So let me get this straight. Taxes were taken from black workers to pay a benefit to exclusively white women ?
Tommy Taint is a British Jew who revels in setting Gentile against Gentile. Too bad, IM2 is so full of hatred that it is easy prey to the Jewish machinations. More's the pity. Meanwhile, I hope, someday, by some miracle, I run into Tommy taint on the street. Just me and that cur.
What are you going do other than piss yourself and avert your eyes after turning a mottled pink and white?

For 30 years this was done with no complaints from whites.

I'm fairly certain that the majority of taxpayers (Income Tax was instituted in 1913) took umbrage at having to support the indigent regardless of race.
Except they weren't described as "indigent". Who could possible protest against helping a poor unfortunate white widow woman who has lost her husband.

I suppose it would depend on how she lost him. I mean, did she REALLY look everywhere?

That being said, this sort of charity is best left to religious institutions and other charities. That is WHY they have tax exempt status in the first place.

We pay taxes. We should get a better return on them than we do now.
Everyone should

Yep, that's what I said.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

Who is denied now?

Yep, that's what I said.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

Who is denied now?
It certainly isnt whites. There are more whites on welfare than anything else.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
There are more whites on welfare than anything else.

I believe you meant that to read "than anyone else". The way the sentence is written, it states that most whites are on welfare. That is demonstrably untrue.

There is no ethnicity in America where the majority of its members are on public assistance.

I believe you meant that to read "than anyone else". The way the sentence is written, it states that most whites are on welfare. That is demonstrably untrue.

There is no ethnicity in America where the majority of its members are on public assistance.
I disagree. "Anything" refers to the races and I didnt use the word "most". I said more.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

I disagree. "Anything" refers to the races and I didnt use the word "most". I said more.

People (regardless of race) are typically not referred to as "things". So, the use of anything makes subject of the verb "on" the welfare, not whites. The object of the verb is whites, not welfare.

So, as it is written, "More whites are on welfare, than anything (of all possible ways of making a living) else". Meaning, most whites are on welfare.

Ideally, and to make the meaning more clear, "More whites are on welfare than anyone else.", would be the preferred usage, if that is what you meant to say.

People (regardless of race) are typically not referred to as "things". So, the use of anything makes subject of the verb "on" the welfare, not whites. The object of the verb is whites, not welfare.

So, as it is written, "More whites are on welfare, than anything (of all possible ways of making a living) else". Meaning, most whites are on welfare.

Ideally, and to make the meaning more clear, "More whites are on welfare than anyone else.", would be the preferred usage, if that is what you meant to say.
Stop the petty shit white man. You don't do this when one of your fellow racists says things about blacks. More whites are on welfarre, that's the point and you know that's the point.

Forum List

Back