Welfare, not in the state of Texas

If they would make themselves worth a damn as employees, they'd be making a livable wage without demanding their bosses be forced to pay them more than the work is worth.
A lot of people seem to have no idea at all how markets function. You earn what you're worth relative to the market. If you're worth a damn people are going to pay you a damn. If you're not then they won't. It's as simple as that.

Okay, show us the non-burger-flipping minimum-wage job that you think negates the argument that minimum-wage jobs are not, and never have been, intended to support a family.

Picking one phrase and going off on a tangent about it does not constitute refuting the argument.
Burger flippers are too valuable to make minimum wage. Haha

In the state of Texas, there are almost 4 million poor people, by one recent count, but apparently few are penniless enough to meet the Lone Star State’s qualifications for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
To qualify for TANF in Texas, a single caretaker with two children must have less than $1,000 in assets and bring in less than $188 per month
snip

Texas, one of four states that denied at least 90 percent of its 2020 TANF applicants, had the lowest approval rate in the nation, approving only 7 percent.
snip
This is former President Bill Clinton’s conservative-appeasing welfare reform in action: Individual states, which were given the power to set their own rules for distributing welfare dollars, denying the poor life-sustaining help by drawing up the rules in a way that excludes most people who need help.

----------------------------------------
see what I mean, they could care less about the kids once they are born. It's only the fetuses in the womb they pretend like they care about.

States also have the flexibility to set their own benefit levels. TANF benefit levels are low and do not enable families to meet their basic needs. In every state, the maximum TANF benefit leaves a family of three below 60 percent of the federal poverty line. In more than one-third of states, it leaves a family of three below just 20 percent of the poverty line. States have not reinvested the savings from the steep caseload declines under TANF in raising benefit levels. In most states, benefits have dropped by at least 20 percent in inflation-adjusted terms since 1996.
--------------------------------------------
See what I mean, the republicans starve the kids.
Texas is not the worst state.
How about you pay your bills and I pay mine?

You are not entitled to get the money that I make to pay for your welfare just because you are alive.

Good for Texas. Welfare sucks.

You are correct in that, but "burger flipper" is the most common and most notable.
Others are gas station cashiers, store cashiers, stock boys, wait staff, cooks.......pretty much all retail jobs in all retail sects. But also, these are easy jobs that don't require a brain to do.

Lots of people do like to work in fast food and make a career out of it. Like everything else, you have to know how to "work" what you have or are given, in order to get the most out of it. If you don't, then you will always be starving and unable to pay bills. Something I had to learn to do early on.

In the case of wait staff, what they get paid on an hourly basis is obviously not necessarily what they're taking home. And if you have any hustle at all, you're not going to stay as a waiter at a place with lousy tips for long. My mother was a waitress the whole time I was growing up. She got herself into a position waiting tables at the local country club where we lived, and came home every night with her pockets stuffed with cash, and I don't mean dollar bills. Her "actual wage" was such a negligible part of her job and her cash flow she would frequently forget to cash her paycheck. My nephew got a crappy server position right out of high school, worked it for a year until he could get on at Red Lobster, then worked there until he could get himself promoted to bartender. He put himself through college on that job and became an investment banker, and is now semi-retired in his mid-30s.

Dude.

The Walmart near me is starting people at like 12 dollars an hour. McDonald's is the same. Who the hell is even working minimum wage? What are these jobs?

The fucking Quik Trips in my area are offering anywhere from $12 to $15 an hour, depending on the part of the city, and they're desperate for employees. I've worked in a convenience store before; a chimpanzee could do that job.

That seems a bit high to me. I didn't think Texas was that soft.

Texas is 49th in the nation ... thus their motto "thank God for Mississippi" ...

Ha ha ha ... but yeah ... that does seem soft ... here in the Bluest of the Blue Oregon, if a welfare recipient receives $188 of income in a month, their next month welfare check will be $188 less ... dollar for dollar baby ... and you still have to make 20 verifiable job contacts per week ... God I got sick of having to answer the phone: "yes, [so-and-so] was here asking about work; no, I'm not hiring" ... but I am glad to help bust the folks cheating the welfare system ... most Oregonians are ... we'll give the poor free stuff, but goddamit don't you dare lie to us ...

One thing the OP didn't state was what the State of Texas is doing with the money they're saving on welfare payments ... my understanding is that there's only certain things the state can do, or risk losing that money ... Oregon uses this money for child support enforcement ... with more dead-beat parents being forced to pay their fair share of the child raising costs ... we have less poverty among our children ... just like the 1996 Welfare Reform Law was designed to do ...

Mothers are only 50% financially responsible ... why does government pick up the other 50%? ...

In the state of Texas, there are almost 4 million poor people, by one recent count, but apparently few are penniless enough to meet the Lone Star State’s qualifications for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
To qualify for TANF in Texas, a single caretaker with two children must have less than $1,000 in assets and bring in less than $188 per month
snip

Texas, one of four states that denied at least 90 percent of its 2020 TANF applicants, had the lowest approval rate in the nation, approving only 7 percent.
snip
This is former President Bill Clinton’s conservative-appeasing welfare reform in action: Individual states, which were given the power to set their own rules for distributing welfare dollars, denying the poor life-sustaining help by drawing up the rules in a way that excludes most people who need help.

see what I mean, they could care less about the kids once they are born. It's only the fetuses in the womb they pretend like they care about.

States also have the flexibility to set their own benefit levels. TANF benefit levels are low and do not enable families to meet their basic needs. In every state, the maximum TANF benefit leaves a family of three below 60 percent of the federal poverty line. In more than one-third of states, it leaves a family of three below just 20 percent of the poverty line. States have not reinvested the savings from the steep caseload declines under TANF in raising benefit levels. In most states, benefits have dropped by at least 20 percent in inflation-adjusted terms since 1996.

If things are that bad for the poor in Texas why are we not seeing caravans of people migrating to California or any other democrat utopia?

snip

snip

That breaks up families. Fathers have to divorce mom so that mom will qualify for welfare.

Ironic how the rightwing destroy families.

What you've done to this country the last year you GD widget maker

Without RedStates this country would be in ruins you butt fuckig stupid waste of flesh
Uh-huh. Your failure to backup your claim is noted. Please keep your homo-erotic fantasies to yourself.

BTW, I live in a 'Red' state, not that I see what it has to do with anything. Most of us don't feel the need to lie in order to press our arguments.

Would that make you feel good, thinking children are starving in TEXAS??
I can't reach you anymore. You republicans are despicable.
Tell them to keep their legs closed if they can't afford a child. I am not paying for another persons baby.

snip

snip

Reading the responses over 5 pages I didnt find much sympathy for your complaint

people who work and do not get welfare think that everyone should work and provide for their own children

THERE SHOULD BE NO CHILDREN GOING HUNGRY
KEEP YOUR LEGS CLOSED IF YOU CAN'T SUPPORT A CHILD!
If you are so sorry as to be on welfare then you probably don't give a shit about your children's well being. You would expect other people to pay for your children's well being.

That is just the kind of assholes these people are.

The best way not to be so poor that you have to go on welfare?

Stop voting for Liberals with failed Left Wing economic policies. Then the economy would boom and if you can't make any money then it is your own damn fault.

If you are so sorry as to be on welfare then you probably don't give a shit about your children's well being. You would expect other people to pay for your children's well being.

That is just the kind of assholes these people are.
Penelope will disagree (of course)

Forum List

Back