Weird....

Several years ago, I attended a party in Silicon Valley. There were 30-40 professionals, all working in the tech industry (except me) and their spouses. None were born in America. Only one was a naturalized citizen.

Several years ago, I attended a party in Silicon Valley. There were 30-40 professionals, all working in the tech industry (except me) and their spouses. None were born in America. Only one was a naturalized citizen.

:lol:try driving here:eek:

anyway, when I was working towards my Ergonomics certification I had a chance to tour and perform surveys at Intel's MASK design facility......400 of them, and not a a native among them. ;)

So, this evening I went for dinner at a friends house. I took my bro and his buddy - both Americans - so that was three Americans at the dinner.

There was a bunch more people - most of which we had not met before. During dinner, I noticed a weird thing.

Bearing in mind, I live in England.... at the dinner were:

3 Americans

2 South Africans

2 Zimbabweans

2 French

1 German

1 Canadian

1 Englishman

Just struck me as weird... all those people - in the UK - and only one of us was actually born in England. :lol: England definitely has an immigration problem. :lol::lol:
So, did you conduct a poll to see how many of 'em were out looting and burning shit up these past couple o' weeks?

:eusa_whistle::cool:
Doesn't sound like any of them were muslim or under the age of 22.

There was a bunch more people - most of which we had not met before. During dinner, I noticed a weird thing.

3 Americans

2 South Africans

2 Zimbabweans

2 French

1 German

1 Canadian

1 Englishman

Yet could identify nationality by what? evesdropping?

~S~

No, sweetie.... we all got introduced by our mutual friend - the English guy - it was at his house.

Idiot.
Don't fret Sparky, he's been educated out of his intelligence.

Anyone else celebrate diversity? Growing up in San Francisco I enjoyed a childhood of diversity, in the foods I enjoyed and the girls I dated. Being that I'm a mutt (French, German, Italian - all Catholic ) different cultures, different religions, different languages fascinated me. I suppose not being conservative, I don't fear different.

I spend most of my time with diversification by different species.

I must say that I like dogs and cats more than most people regardless of their national origin.

Hell, I proably have spiders living in my house that are older than some of you folks.

We have an agreement, the house spiders and me.

They stay out of my way and I don't squash them.

I visited our islands in the South Pacific in 1982. There were over 10,000 foreigners there who could hardly speak a word of English...so we sent them home. :eusa_angel:

Weird....
Damn. I thought this thread was about me.

I'll link this before anyone else does...........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWrudgCc3Q]You're So Vain - Official Video - Carly Simon - YouTube[/ame]

:eusa_whistle:

Diversity is overrated.

I maybe wrong but if you really believe diversity is overrated I suspect you drink only Bud Light, eat only beef and usually go to the same restaurant and order the same thing. Routine has it's place but I don't rate it very high.
Well if we're going to compare, theoretical stereotypes, let's have at it.

By the same standard,you're probably so diverse you probably live in an urban area or a short drive for one where you partake in trendy 'ethnic' dining, wine, cheese, snippy newspapers filled with ads for adult services equally split gay and straight inbetween band, club and alcohol ads to get to three radical left wing opinon pieces you call news. While going with your carefully selected friends (by skin color, sexuality and lack of religion so they match as a set) to some halfassed local theater making fun of the previous administration or Christianity through some thinly veiled guise of being socially aware humor, you discuss how unenlightened the rest of the world is to your empathetic cultural superiority because you like to drink chai and merlot ont the same night as having some vegetable korma in a 'fair trade' restaurant thats overpriced as well. Then drive home in your ecologically conscieous Toyota Self-Righteous.. I mean Pious... I mean Prius, while cutting off trucks and yapping on your cell about the evils of western culture and how everyone should live in intelligent growth tenements and travel by electric trains powered by the self sanctimony of the cultural elite who forced them in there.

Yeah, ethnically diverse. We call it Uptown or Dinkytown here. A bunch of freaky self righteous dirty idiots reeking of patchouli or BO.

No, sweetie.... we all got introduced by our mutual friend - the English guy - it was at his house.

Idiot.

fair enough CG

so, can we now assume you're an immigrant as well?

an illegal one to boot, shes an Atlantic wetback....:eusa_shhh:

Anyone else celebrate diversity? Growing up in San Francisco I enjoyed a childhood of diversity, in the foods I enjoyed and the girls I dated. Being that I'm a mutt (French, German, Italian - all Catholic ) different cultures, different religions, different languages fascinated me. I suppose not being conservative, I don't fear different.

I am a conservative.... and I like diversity. Just goes to show.... you know jack shit about conservatives. :eusa_angel:

So, this evening I went for dinner at a friends house. I took my bro and his buddy - both Americans - so that was three Americans at the dinner.

3 Americans

2 South Africans

2 Zimbabweans

2 French

1 German

1 Canadian

1 Englishman

Just struck me as weird... all those people - in the UK - and only one of us was actually born in England. :lol: England definitely has an immigration problem. :lol::lol:

The 'tell' sentence.

fair enough CG

so, can we now assume you're an immigrant as well?

an illegal one to boot, shes an Atlantic wetback....:eusa_shhh:

I am a conservative.... and I like diversity. Just goes to show.... you know jack shit about conservatives. :eusa_angel:

Yeah - that's why you see it as a "problem".
icon_rolleyes.gif

Forum List

Back