Weather Patterns - A Discussion

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide
There is great misunderstanding about the difference between 'weather' and 'climate'. One is short term weather flows, and one is long term weather patterns.

I created this thread to help sort out and discuss short term patterns. (Less than 250 years in length). Climate defined is: the culmination of repetitive weather patterns over long periods of time. Weather defined is; cyclical patterns and flows over short periods of time.

Everything we see today is in to short of a time span to be called climate. The use of the term "Climate Change" is deceptive and devoid of science.

Here I want to discuss the flow changes we see today, our current weather cycles. In my next post I will lay out why our wide swings in the polar jet are causing areas of high temp and then followed by areas of low temperature.

Here is the current GOES CON_US
1655737845091.png

I selected the water vapor at mid atmosphere to show how the wide swings are affecting the weather patterns of the US. You will note that the polar jet and the equatorial jet are indistinguishable from one another. That those jets have very cold air on one side and monsoonal water and hot air on the other. They create troughs which move very slowly. This is why we are having flooding. They are massive lows that take a lot of energy to move, and they are pretty much stationary. The High pressures must become just as massive as the low pressures. This is what creates areas of high temp and areas of below average temp.

When we have a cooling ocean surface, as we have today, this creates what is called a La Niña flow aloft.

Winter Predicton.JPG

This pattern creates drought in the southwest, as we are seeing today and have been seeing for about 10 years now.

Good information. Your last chart.....La Nina......those periodic cycles affect our climate in a huge way, whether it is El Nino or La Nina. Many have no idea of the how's and why's of this cycle.

Another thing, remember 'global warming' and how that quietly turned into climate change?
Climate change is the cool new term yet climate continually changes on its own.

The trough on the hot side of the polar and equatorial jets (in yellow) is what caused massive flooding last week in Yellowstone and surrounding areas. It is very slow moving and the reason the plains are now looking a flooding as it moves slowly east.

1655739044918.png

As the world cools these troughs, created by the jets, are what give us our major floods and snowfalls. The polar jet has not moderated this year. I fully expect winter to be here very early and it to be a very hard and cold one with snow. The current weather patterns we see today, if they continue through the fall, will create these major snow events.

Last edited:
Should we do anything to anticipate or influence the present weather or the future climate?

Good information. Your last chart.....La Nina......those periodic cycles affect our climate in a huge way, whether it is El Nino or La Nina. Many have no idea of the how's and why's of this cycle.

Another thing, remember 'global warming' and how that quietly turned into climate change?
Climate change is the cool new term yet climate continually changes on its own.
They keep moving the goal posts to keep the public in the dark about the AGW lie.

The trough on the hot side of the polar and equatorial jets (in yellow) is what caused massive flooding last week in Yellowstone and surrounding areas. It is very slow moving and the reason the plains are now looking a flooding as it moves slowly east.

View attachment 660111

As the world cools these troughs, created by the jets, are what give us our major floods and snowfalls. The polar jet has not moderated this year. I fully expect winter to be here very early and it to be a very hard and cold one with snow. The current weather patterns we see today, if they continue through the fall, will create these major snow events.
Where the jet sets up in winter can make the difference between a wet winter or a snowy winter here where I'm at. Last few years had heavy snowfall down through the DC area and northeast. What has been happening is the moisture developing front has ended up south of us, where we may still have cold, with light snow, if at all on the northern side of the front.

All you can do is prepare. Take precautions. When it starts to cool winterize the home. I have wood burning stoves and about 3-4 cords of wood. We cannot control the weather. We must adapt.
I have a couple 23,000 btu Kerosun's and a supply of kerosene. Used it several times for 2-3 days already. Sitting in my shorts with no power......20 degrees outside.

Here what I can contribute....

Here in the northeast, it's June 19th. We are freezing our collective balls off. I live 20 minutes from the ocean...years ago, tens of thousands would spend every weekend in June at the ocean.
Not anymore.... :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Here on Long Island, the standard joke has become, "When does the global warming FINALLY arrive?"

d0y

Here what I can contribute....

Here in the northeast, it's June 19th. We are freezing our collective balls off. I live 20 minutes from the ocean...years ago, tens of thousands would spend every weekend in June at the ocean.
Not anymore.... :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Here on Long Island, the standard joke has become, "When does the global warming FINALLY arrive?"

d0y
You're currently sitting in the middle of a cold low. And it's going to move really slow.. Enjoy if for now. When the high pressure and warm temps takes over that area, you will be sweating your ass off...

They keep moving the goal posts to keep the public in the dark about the AGW lie.
It may have been crusader Frank or possibly oddball who enlightened us in the past on the change from alarm over a pending ice age to alarm over global warming to the obvious alteration to “climate change” (which must be preceded by “anthropogenic”). The observation suggested the term “global climate warmering/coolering/changering” or a phrase along such lines.

It was brilliant but a bit too long to capture the simple-mindedness of folks who insist that a small increase in a trace atmospheric gas (emitted by humans, of course) is THE thing that will lead us to our demise.

For my part, I like to note that it will be difficult to return us to those glory days where global climate was naturally static and unchanging. I’m having trouble however identifying when those glory days existed.

There's nothing to gain with debating the lay person's guessing game that is only motivated by the political will to deny climate science.

If climate science has gotten anything wrong, they will make it widely known. So far at least they aren't wavering in the least from their predictions of huge negative consequences!

Where the jet sets up in winter can make the difference between a wet winter or a snowy winter here where I'm at. Last few years had heavy snowfall down through the DC area and northeast. What has been happening is the moisture developing front has ended up south of us, where we may still have cold, with light snow, if at all on the northern side of the front.
The polar jet usually moderates in early May. That has not happened and were almost done with June. I do not see it moderating due to the major low pressures in the Artic. The thing I am looking at for a winter prediction is the equatorial water vapor. Will it moderate when we swing back towards fall?? IF it remains, were in for major snows.

There's nothing to gain with debating the lay person's guessing game that is only motivated by the political will to deny climate science.

If climate science has gotten anything wrong, they will make it widely known. So far at least they aren't wavering in the least from their predictions of huge negative consequences!
I am an atmospheric physicist. You don't have a damn clue about anything.

Educating people as to why we are seeing what we are seeing and that it has nothing to do with CO2 is how we save people from totalitarian governments set on enslaving us. Education is power. Stopping a lie is the only way we get our power back as citizens.

When relying on fed grant monies? Seems they would be more susceptible to singing the National Anthem.

I am an atmospheric physicist. You don't have a damn clue about anything.

Educating people as to why we are seeing what we are seeing and that it has nothing to do with CO2 is how we save people from totalitarian governments set on enslaving us. Education is power. Stopping a lie is the only way we get our power back as citizens.

You stopped being a Solar Physicist? You have dual PhDs now? Just kidding. We know you didn't stop being a solar physicist because you cannot stop what you never started. It's one thing if you feel the need to lie to yourself, whatever your reasoning, but quite something else to publicly like and mislead everyone else.

There is less to be gained when dishonest and/or ignorant propagandists pretend that they have a handle on climate matters which their very own arguments show they don’t have.

Ergo, there’s not much reason to spend time worrying about the gaseous commentary of a Canuck duck.

You stopped being a Solar Physicist? You have dual PhDs now? Just kidding. We know you didn't stop being a solar physicist because you cannot stop what you never started. It's one thing if you feel the need to lie to yourself, whatever your reasoning, but quite something else to publicly like and mislead everyone else.
LOL... I work with solar physicists. I have NEVER stated I am one in the solar realm. Physics is actually a very broad area in hard sciences. When we try to correlate and prove a theory, it takes many people from many disciplines to figure things out. You AGW nuts should try actual science some time..

Forum List

Back