We overreacted

I disagree wholeheartedly disagree with the OP. Mitigation efforts slowed down the virus. The math is the proof. How bad would it have gotten without these efforts? Impossible to tell, but it’s still spreading fast with the mitigation efforts. 40 k dead in 6 weeks is nothing to sneeze at.

Exactly! I posted about this before. If shutting down the economy and social distancing lowers the death rate, then those against all those efforts would say we over-reacted. If tons of people still died and it was reported all over the news, those same people would say that people were horrible for using those deaths for political purposes and were actually happy people died.

It is pretty clear that the mitigation efforts were the right way to go, and because they worked doesn't mean they weren't necessary.

Life is all about luck. I have not seen them in 6 weeks. Luckily as I got the virus. Yes it kills us but that is because we are the fattest and unhealthiest country in the world. And what do we do? We lock people in their homes to eat and drink and close the gyms. We then arrest those who go outside to exercise. So we will be even fatter and more unhealthy. Self fulfilling prophecy.

You make a fair point here AtD. My gym closed so I do my workouts at home. That takes a lot of ingenuity and motivation. It's a ton easier to whine about it. Had a heckuva time finding home exercise equipment, but now have a yoga matt for planks and such, a Bosu Balance Ball, tension bands, and a pair of 5-55 adjustable dumbbells.

Also, my gym (national chain) has around 30 different exercise videos posted online which are really well done. But I definitely miss my circuit workout and cardio machines.

America is indeed getting fatter and unhealthier. This is especially true in certain blue collar pockets where the only exercise some get is at work. Now they sit at home watching their Trump TeeVee and eating Bon Bons.

Of course, many of them were doing that BEFORE the pandemic. ;)
Democrats and Republicans and Independents all equally unhealthy. Democrats likely least healthy as African Americans are impacted 4x worse by this virus. This lock down will kill people. Let's not kid ourselves. Heart attacks, drinking binges, drug overdoses, suicide.

Poverty is why African Americans are proportionally over-represented. The fact that most of them vote D is pretty much irrelevant. Cheap food is fattening food. Cheap fatty cuts of meat, beans, rice and other carbs are less expensive than fresh fruits and veggies.

Forum List

Back