We overreacted

"The coronavirus is just the flu."

I ran the numbers for a few more states. I looked up the number of deaths from the flu by state over several years.

On average, there have been about about 4,700 deaths per year in New York from the flu. New York had about 4,700 deaths from covid-19 in the last week.

Louisiana has averaged about 790 deaths per year from the flu. Louisiana had about 790 deaths from covid-19 in the last 13 days.

New Jersey has averaged about 1,330 deaths per year from the flu. They've had 1,600 deaths in the last 5 days!!!

Michigan has averaged 1bout 1,820 deaths per year from the flu. They have had about 1,820 deaths from covid-19 in the last 16 days.
You need to provide links.
So far my research compares 60,000 flu deaths nationally to a current 35,000 Wuhan deaths. Wuhan appears to be more intense than flu in specific hotspots but NY deaths are not any more special than deaths in Arkansas. That’s my feeling.

I provided links earlier. Here you go.

If the flu wiped out 4,700 New Yorkers in a week, we could say that they're pretty similar. But they're not. Not even close. Arkansas hasn't had as large of an outbreak as New York, and it would be best if it stayed that way, because it's not the fucking flu.
So you’re saying New Yorkers are more important than arkansans.
I gave you specific estimates. 35k currently on pace for 60k vs 60k.

"So you’re saying New Yorkers are more important than arkansans."

How is it even possible for you to have misinterpreted my words so badly that this is what you got from what I wrote? How is that even fucking possible? Can you show me the part where I fucking said that? Are you imagining words that aren't fucking there? Are we even conversing right now or are you just filling in what you want to pretend I'm saying instead of what I'm actually saying?

No. That's not what I said. I choose my words very deliberately. Go back and read it again.

In a "bad year" for the flu, between 50,000 and 100,000 Americans die from the virus. I'm willing to bet that by the end of this year, roughly the same number of people will have died from this virus.

And I'm also willing to bet that there's zero difference in either the total per capita number who become infected and the mortality rate between our country (which ordered a shutdown) and Sweden's, which has refused to order anyone to shut down their business or stay in their homes.

If you accept that the virus had been circulating in our population for months by the time the lock down orders arrived (which is certainly the case) and if you know it's highly contagious, then ordering everyone into their homes in mid-March was closing the barn door when the horses were already long gone.

What does work to control the spread of a novel virus? Herd immunity. Humans have immune systems. They work great, especially in younger people. We can handle viruses.

What we should do is tell older and sicker people to put on a mask. Wear rubber gloves. Avoid crowds at all costs. Avoid hospitals. Stay home whenever you can.

We should have told everyone else: Go about your lives. Yes, we should also add that some of you – probably about 20% – are going to get this novel coronavirus this year. (Normally about 9% of the population gets the flu every year... so your chances of catching COVID-19 this year are about double what you'd normally face with the regular flu.)

And if you get it, it's probably going to suck. But the younger you are and the healthier you are, the more likely it is that you won't have any symptoms at all.

So, let's not cancel school. Let's let the kids go and get exposed to this virus when they are young, when they can handle it, and when they can quickly develop immunity.

That's the best way to build the herd immunity we need – allow everyone who can manage the virus to get exposed. As quickly as possible. After all, the sooner the herd immunity we need develops naturally, the safer we will all be. Deaths are now projected at 60k?

I am in agreement.....after we get testing in place.
How much longer before the blob gets testing in place?
Testing is irrelevant. As Fauci said you would have to test someone daily to be certain and that is not feasible and antibody testing is highly flawed.

Testing is NOT irrelevant according to 99% of our doctors and scientists.

EVrG9OJXgAUomjb.jpg
After listening to Fauci it is.

No my friend - NO

Far more Americans are placing their trust in what White House infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo are saying about the health crisis than what Donald Trump is saying, according to a new poll from NBC News/Wall Street Journal.​
Three out of every five Americans told pollsters they trust what Mr Fauci says about coronavirus, which has claimed the lives of at least 39,000 people in the US as of Sunday. Only 8 percent do not trust the public statements of Mr Fauci, a longtime White House pandemic adviser who has served both Republican and Democratic administrations.​

I watched Fauci live. He said testing is futile for all intents and purposes. We would have to test everyone daily. That is nearly impossible. Herd immunity is the answer. I do Not need news articles. My own ears heard it and Birx basically confirmed it. Listen to yesterday’s press conference yourself.

It is my personal opinion that you have mischaracterized what the good doctor actually said.
And I shall pass on yesterday's clown show. The lowlights were enough. ;)
There is often a big difference between what is said and what is heard among Trump supporters.

They hear what they want to hear. A lot.
ZERO to do with Trump. I think a 30 day shutdown is actually fine but its time to open up the economy.

It is a trait that is extremely common in Trump supporters, especially yourself. In fact, I think it’s practically necessary to support him. One has a far more difficult time supporting Trump after actually listening to him as opposed to merely hearing what they want to hear.

Regardless, it is a big problem in this country.
Happy to compare resumes in terms of education and professional experience. My thoughts are my own. It is the Leftists like yourself who want to silence those with disparate points of view, who are ruining this country. Before you throw daggers look in the mirror and then don’t be shocked when a retaliation happens.

Last time I shared my qualifications, I was called a liar by you. But go ahead and pretend you’re the victim.

I’ve not silenced anyone. I only question your comprehension based on previous experience.
Hardly a victim. You never shared qualifications. You put me on ignore and sulked. Don’t ever question me. I do what is best for me and for my family. I have explained to you countless times that Trump is the effect not the cause. Trump is necessary to put all you social justice warriors in your place. The Leftist culture of shaming those with opposite views has gone too far and now you see the result. People like you voted Trump in not people like me. I do what is best for me and my family. Period. End of story.

You are easily triggered and when you’re emotional, you forget things you’ve said.

“I do what’s best for me” is the selfish attitude that is going to result in many thousands of deaths that are otherwise avoidable.
Never said I was not selfish. Very selfish. Pure Darwinist Capitalist. You put me on ignore and never shared any qualifications. How am I triggered? Am I swearing? Explain

You’re childish rage gives it away. Blaming everyone for everything (apparently I forced you to vote for Trump). What did you say when I said I have an MD?

How many people have to die for your selfishness? Not everyone is as fortunate as you.
My vote was meaningless. I live in MA. Who has died? Name one. I make my own fortune. Son of immigrants who came here with nothing and didn’t speak the language. Don’t be such a snowflake.

There’s been 40 thousand deaths from COVID in the country. I’ve worked with a few of them. Of course, nothing I say matters to you since you’ll just accuse me of lying.

Your parents sound like great people who worked hard an made their own fortune. You were quite lucky to be born to them. Not everyone is as lucky as you.

In a "bad year" for the flu, between 50,000 and 100,000 Americans die from the virus. I'm willing to bet that by the end of this year, roughly the same number of people will have died from this virus.

And I'm also willing to bet that there's zero difference in either the total per capita number who become infected and the mortality rate between our country (which ordered a shutdown) and Sweden's, which has refused to order anyone to shut down their business or stay in their homes.

If you accept that the virus had been circulating in our population for months by the time the lock down orders arrived (which is certainly the case) and if you know it's highly contagious, then ordering everyone into their homes in mid-March was closing the barn door when the horses were already long gone.

What does work to control the spread of a novel virus? Herd immunity. Humans have immune systems. They work great, especially in younger people. We can handle viruses.

What we should do is tell older and sicker people to put on a mask. Wear rubber gloves. Avoid crowds at all costs. Avoid hospitals. Stay home whenever you can.

We should have told everyone else: Go about your lives. Yes, we should also add that some of you – probably about 20% – are going to get this novel coronavirus this year. (Normally about 9% of the population gets the flu every year... so your chances of catching COVID-19 this year are about double what you'd normally face with the regular flu.)

And if you get it, it's probably going to suck. But the younger you are and the healthier you are, the more likely it is that you won't have any symptoms at all.

So, let's not cancel school. Let's let the kids go and get exposed to this virus when they are young, when they can handle it, and when they can quickly develop immunity.

That's the best way to build the herd immunity we need – allow everyone who can manage the virus to get exposed. As quickly as possible. After all, the sooner the herd immunity we need develops naturally, the safer we will all be. Deaths are now projected at 60k?

I am in agreement.....after we get testing in place.
How much longer before the blob gets testing in place?
Testing is irrelevant. As Fauci said you would have to test someone daily to be certain and that is not feasible and antibody testing is highly flawed.

Testing is NOT irrelevant according to 99% of our doctors and scientists.

EVrG9OJXgAUomjb.jpg
After listening to Fauci it is.

No my friend - NO

Far more Americans are placing their trust in what White House infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo are saying about the health crisis than what Donald Trump is saying, according to a new poll from NBC News/Wall Street Journal.​
Three out of every five Americans told pollsters they trust what Mr Fauci says about coronavirus, which has claimed the lives of at least 39,000 people in the US as of Sunday. Only 8 percent do not trust the public statements of Mr Fauci, a longtime White House pandemic adviser who has served both Republican and Democratic administrations.​

I watched Fauci live. He said testing is futile for all intents and purposes. We would have to test everyone daily. That is nearly impossible. Herd immunity is the answer. I do Not need news articles. My own ears heard it and Birx basically confirmed it. Listen to yesterday’s press conference yourself.

It is my personal opinion that you have mischaracterized what the good doctor actually said.
And I shall pass on yesterday's clown show. The lowlights were enough. ;)
There is often a big difference between what is said and what is heard among Trump supporters.

They hear what they want to hear. A lot.
ZERO to do with Trump. I think a 30 day shutdown is actually fine but its time to open up the economy.

It is a trait that is extremely common in Trump supporters, especially yourself. In fact, I think it’s practically necessary to support him. One has a far more difficult time supporting Trump after actually listening to him as opposed to merely hearing what they want to hear.

Regardless, it is a big problem in this country.
Happy to compare resumes in terms of education and professional experience. My thoughts are my own. It is the Leftists like yourself who want to silence those with disparate points of view, who are ruining this country. Before you throw daggers look in the mirror and then don’t be shocked when a retaliation happens.

Last time I shared my qualifications, I was called a liar by you. But go ahead and pretend you’re the victim.

I’ve not silenced anyone. I only question your comprehension based on previous experience.
Hardly a victim. You never shared qualifications. You put me on ignore and sulked. Don’t ever question me. I do what is best for me and for my family. I have explained to you countless times that Trump is the effect not the cause. Trump is necessary to put all you social justice warriors in your place. The Leftist culture of shaming those with opposite views has gone too far and now you see the result. People like you voted Trump in not people like me. I do what is best for me and my family. Period. End of story.

You are easily triggered and when you’re emotional, you forget things you’ve said.

“I do what’s best for me” is the selfish attitude that is going to result in many thousands of deaths that are otherwise avoidable.
Never said I was not selfish. Very selfish. Pure Darwinist Capitalist. You put me on ignore and never shared any qualifications. How am I triggered? Am I swearing? Explain

You’re childish rage gives it away. Blaming everyone for everything (apparently I forced you to vote for Trump). What did you say when I said I have an MD?

How many people have to die for your selfishness? Not everyone is as fortunate as you.
My vote was meaningless. I live in MA. Who has died? Name one. I make my own fortune. Son of immigrants who came here with nothing and didn’t speak the language. Don’t be such a snowflake.

There’s been 40 thousand deaths from COVID in the country. I’ve worked with a few of them. Of course, nothing I say matters to you since you’ll just accuse me of lying.

Your parents sound like great people who worked hard an made their own fortune. You were quite lucky to be born to them. Not everyone is as lucky as you.
Life is all about luck. I have not seen them in 6 weeks. Luckily as I got the virus. Yes it kills us but that is because we are the fattest and unhealthiest country in the world. And what do we do? We lock people in their homes to eat and drink and close the gyms. We then arrest those who go outside to exercise. So we will be even fatter and more unhealthy. Self fulfilling prophecy.

We allow places like McDonald's and other fast food. We guzzle soda because we're big tough Americans and we are invincible ta da ta da ta da.

I ran the numbers for a few more states. I looked up the number of deaths from the flu by state over several years.

On average, there have been about about 4,700 deaths per year in New York from the flu. New York had about 4,700 deaths from covid-19 in the last week.

Louisiana has averaged about 790 deaths per year from the flu. Louisiana had about 790 deaths from covid-19 in the last 13 days.

New Jersey has averaged about 1,330 deaths per year from the flu. They've had 1,600 deaths in the last 5 days!!!

Michigan has averaged 1bout 1,820 deaths per year from the flu. They have had about 1,820 deaths from covid-19 in the last 16 days.
So far my research compares 60,000 flu deaths nationally to a current 35,000 Wuhan deaths. Wuhan appears to be more intense than flu in specific hotspots but NY deaths are not any more special than deaths in Arkansas. That’s my feeling.

If the flu wiped out 4,700 New Yorkers in a week, we could say that they're pretty similar. But they're not. Not even close. Arkansas hasn't had as large of an outbreak as New York, and it would be best if it stayed that way, because it's not the fucking flu.

How is it even possible for you to have misinterpreted my words so badly that this is what you got from what I wrote? How is that even fucking possible? Can you show me the part where I fucking said that? Are you imagining words that aren't fucking there? Are we even conversing right now or are you just filling in what you want to pretend I'm saying instead of what I'm actually saying?

No. That's not what I said. I choose my words very deliberately. Go back and read it again.
Your words, your numbers. According to you, NY’s circumstance, which results in extreme numbers, usurps those of Kansas and Arkansas and Wyoming, etc.

Your words, your numbers. According to you, NY’s circumstance, which results in extreme numbers, usurps those of Kansas and Arkansas and Wyoming, etc.

Yea...I think we're done here. They were my words and I know what I said.

See ya.

Maybe, maybe not. That's not up to me.

New York state has a population density 17 times the density of Nebraska. New York City is far more dense than that. Obviously it's going to be more dangerous in the more densely populated cities.

While the amount of risk that people are willing to deal with is not up to me, my point is that this thing is FAR more dangerous than the flu.

The population density might be related with the amount of infected people with the virus, however the amount of deaths is related solely to the health of the affected individuals.

More unhealthy people affected by the virus will cause more deaths because such infection.

Healthy people will feel nothing, just a soft symptoms or very severe symptoms, but won't die because the virus, because the strong immune system will resist the presence of such a parasite.

New York state has a population density 17 times the density of Nebraska. New York City is far more dense than that. Obviously it's going to be more dangerous in the more densely populated cities.

While the amount of risk that people are willing to deal with is not up to me, my point is that this thing is FAR more dangerous than the flu.

The population density might be related with the amount of infected people with the virus, however the amount of deaths is related solely to the health of the affected individuals.

More unhealthy people affected by the virus will cause more deaths because such infection.

Healthy people will feel nothing, just a soft symptoms or very severe symptoms, but won't die because the virus, because the strong immune system will resist the presence of such a parasite.

I don't disagree.

People with underlying health conditions are the ones most at risk. And we have a lot of them.

Some of the high risk factors listed by the CDC are:

- People 65 and older
- People with chronic lung disease
- People with asthma
- People with serious heart conditions
- People with a BMI over 40
- People with diabetes
- People with kidney disease
- People with liver disease

That's a lot of people. Diabetes alone is over 34 million Americans.

I don't disagree.

People with underlying health conditions are the ones most at risk. And we have a lot of them.

- People 65 and older
- People with asthma
- People with diabetes

Scary how unhealthy many of us are.

I don't disagree.

- People 65 and older
- People with asthma
- People with diabetes

Yea, it's terrible.

Sounds like you made a recovery. I assume you take pretty good care of yourself?

I don't disagree.

- People 65 and older
- People with asthma
- People with diabetes

Yea, it's terrible.

Sounds like you made a recovery. I assume you take pretty good care of yourself?
I do. Cannot say it helped me for sure as I am not a doctor but being overweight and dealing with the tiredness would have been more difficult more than likely.

I could not agree more, we didn't close down the nation for the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, and that killed over 600,000 Americans in about 25 weeks time. I think this whole thing stinks, I think that when a desperate political party, and an equally desperate federal apparatus overwhelmingly staffed by devotees of that desperate political party, and which qualifies as virtually a form of shadow government, are both implicated in a series of rolling coup d' tat's, and faux investigations intended to destroy a man they cannot buy off or control, and he is presiding over an economy so white hot they haven't a prayer of running against it in a fair election process, well I think its no coincidence that that economy is suddenly no more! Such is the thing they most wanted, many of them openly said as much, well here we are.....
Fantastic post, D-N! Please post more often if you can.

What are you? The forum YES Man.

Nonsense. Absolute Garbage. The Old Testament talks about separating those with from those without an illness. Leprosy for example. So isolation and quarantine are established and time tested techniques for battling disease. Even when we as a people were ignorant of the mechanism for bacteria and viruses we understood isolation and quarantine.

Even when our Borders were essentially open. We had health screenings at Ellis Island among other locations. Even in the days of incredible ignorance we knew about isolation and quarantine.

Do I think that the Governments were wrong to ticket people sitting in cars or walking on the beach or parks? Yes. But I also think that the isolation of the population as much as possible was the right course of action. It is the Enforcement of these orders where I have issues. Am I disgusted by the Trillions spent on cronies and favored programs called the recovery? Yes. Absolutely.

I will always be disgusted by opportunist scum who take advantage of any disaster or tragedy. On the left or right does not matter.

Something to keep in mind, without commenting about whether or not any of the measures put in place were an overreaction: Deaths and mortality rate are not the only things to take into account when looking at the impact of this or any other virus/disease. Short-term effects such as severe symptoms, even when people recover, should be considered. The number of hospitalizations, especially in a short period of time, should be considered. How communicable the virus is should be considered. If it's possible to know, long-term health effects should be considered. Everything is not limited to deaths.

And for those who seem to basically be saying that high-risk people were likely to die soon anyway, I'd love to see some politician make a statement to that effect and then see how badly they get beaten in the next election. Sure, there's a bit of truth to it, but the sort of callousness shown occasionally on this board (not just in this thread) about it is not something I believe most Americans would be willing to embrace. It's also not especially accurate. For example, my father is 70, making him high-risk. However, his father lived to be 104. Why would I think my father is ready to die any day? Diabetes is a high-risk factor. Millions of people will live for many, many years more who have diabetes. Yes, people who are severely ill already are more likely to die if they get the virus. The idea that just about everyone who dies from COVID-19 was getting ready to shuffle off anyway, though, seems ridiculous.

Life is all about luck. I have not seen them in 6 weeks. Luckily as I got the virus. Yes it kills us but that is because we are the fattest and unhealthiest country in the world. And what do we do? We lock people in their homes to eat and drink and close the gyms. We then arrest those who go outside to exercise. So we will be even fatter and more unhealthy. Self fulfilling prophecy.

You make a fair point here AtD. My gym closed so I do my workouts at home. That takes a lot of ingenuity and motivation. It's a ton easier to whine about it. Had a heckuva time finding home exercise equipment, but now have a yoga matt for planks and such, a Bosu Balance Ball, tension bands, and a pair of 5-55 adjustable dumbbells.

Also, my gym (national chain) has around 30 different exercise videos posted online which are really well done. But I definitely miss my circuit workout and cardio machines.

America is indeed getting fatter and unhealthier. This is especially true in certain blue collar pockets where the only exercise some get is at work. Now they sit at home watching their Trump TeeVee and eating Bon Bons.

Of course, many of them were doing that BEFORE the pandemic. ;)

img.jpg

9b2_717trump1-3.jpg

GTY_trump_women_01_as_160404_16x9_992.jpg

You make a fair point here AtD. My gym closed so I do my workouts at home. That takes a lot of ingenuity and motivation. It's a ton easier to whine about it. Had a heckuva time finding home exercise equipment, but now have a yoga matt for planks and such, a Bosu Balance Ball, tension bands, and a pair of 5-55 adjustable dumbbells.

Also, my gym (national chain) has around 30 different exercise videos posted online which are really well done. But I definitely miss my circuit workout and cardio machines.

America is indeed getting fatter and unhealthier. This is especially true in certain blue collar pockets where the only exercise some get is at work. Now they sit at home watching their Trump TeeVee and eating Bon Bons.

Of course, many of them were doing that BEFORE the pandemic. ;)

img.jpg

9b2_717trump1-3.jpg

GTY_trump_women_01_as_160404_16x9_992.jpg
Democrats and Republicans and Independents all equally unhealthy. Democrats likely least healthy as African Americans are impacted 4x worse by this virus. This lock down will kill people. Let's not kid ourselves. Heart attacks, drinking binges, drug overdoses, suicide.

Forum List

Back