"We are stardust"... Abiogenesis + evolution = God's plan?

I'm not saying it works or doesn't work... I'm saying our belief or non beliefs don't impact the eventual outcome.
Great! Then why would I need to hedge anything? You are contradicting yourself a bit.

G-d, if she does exist, is ineffable. We can no more know her plans than we can the physical state of Schroedinger's mistreated feline.
Seems reasonable. Also seems like a prelude to making excuses for how a benevolent god can exist in a universe with so much suffering.

"You just don't get it, Cletus!"

As for living a lie. We are hairless apes playing at civilisation. Safe to say much of what we say and do are lies.
Pretty weak equivocation.

Before anything can be proved, there has to be a postulation on precisely what it is someone is trying to prove. Without a specific definition what a god is, no one can prove one exists or doesn't. Lack of ability to prove something exists is in no way proof that it doesn't ... see Dark Matter (which we can't). Dark Matter is a construct that fills the knowledge gaps in our current understanding of physics. We cannot know, or not know, it exists... it is a placeholder until we someday (or ever) discover a way to know The Universe more completely.
Call your "Dark Matter" the Aether and we're in (near) total agreement so far. However, there is no "not know" in this case. We "know" there is something there that we just don't fully understand, else there'd be no need for such a placeholder.
The Universe we inhabit is a much more complex place than any human can grok.
It's exactly the opposite, imo.
We are three dimensional beings who live in a multidimensional universe. Just like the eponymous Flatlanders in Edwin Abbot's book, we are physically incapable of perceiving what exists beyond our own physical dimensions without inference of phenomenon. If we do try to reconcile phenomenon within our sensory limits, we will invariably skew those reconciliations to agree with our limited dimension view of The Universe(s) -- the ultimate confirmational bias.
There is one dimension - space. Time is our primary measure or coordinate for space. However, if one really must complicate matters, if one's "confirmational bias" for discussing how anything describable as a variable simply must be treated as another mathematical or philosophical dimension, then sure, ridiculous is obviously the limit.
So -- when I quoted Shakespeare's "Hamlet" by saying, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy", I mean precisely what Shakespeare is saying that no man (or woman) knows everything. There are many things in this world we don't know and about which we cannot even dream.
Indubitably.
Lastly, your faith in the non-existence of a god is obviously something you feel strongly about and I would never try to dissuade anyone from their faith. Some people need faith in what they cannot prove as a way of justifying their existence and I won't deprive you of that. I can only say that I hope you find as much comfort in your simplistic static view of The Universe as I find in the fact that you don't believe the same as I.
My lack of faith in the existence of gods (due to there being zero scientifically compelling evidence for any presented thus far) is what defines my identity group - atheist. {Oxford Languages/Google}
noun

1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"
Faith:
In the context of religion, one can define faith as "belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion".[3] Religious people often think of faith as confidence based on a perceived degree of warrant,[4][5] while others who are more skeptical of religion tend to think of faith as simply belief without evidence.
Notice how "disbelief" or "lack of faith" is not logically describable as "faith" either way.

Call your "Dark Matter" the Aether and we're in (near) total agreement so far. However, there is no "not know" in this case. We "know" there is something there that we just don't fully understand, else there'd be no need for such a placeholder.

It's exactly the opposite, imo.

There is one dimension - space. Time is our primary measure or coordinate for space. However, if one really must complicate matters, if one's "confirmational bias" for discussing how anything describable as a variable simply must be treated as another mathematical or philosophical dimension, then sure, ridiculous is obviously the limit.

Indubitably.

My lack of faith in the existence of gods (due to there being zero scientifically compelling evidence for any presented thus far) is what defines my identity group - atheist. {Oxford Languages/Google}

Faith:

Notice how "disbelief" or "lack of faith" is not logically describable as "faith" either way.
But the other poster clearly did say with certainty "There are no gods". Gnostic atheism.

That's a very poor rebuttal.
I challenge you to prove there is a god or anything religious to be fact.

See how you go with that smart arse.

You seem to be laboring under a misconception, you seem to think I am required to prove something. I am not. Truth does not require Colin Norris to believe it to be true. Prove He doesn't exist?

Before anything can be proved, there has to be a postulation on precisely what it is someone is trying to prove. Without a specific definition what a god is, no one can prove one exists or doesn't. Lack of ability to prove something exists is in no way proof that it doesn't ... see Dark Matter (which we can't). Dark Matter is a construct that fills the knowledge gaps in our current understanding of physics. We cannot know, or not know, it exists... it is a placeholder until we someday (or ever) discover a way to know The Universe more completely.

The Universe we inhabit is a much more complex place than any human can grok. We are three dimensional beings who live in a multidimensional universe. Just like the eponymous Flatlanders in Edwin Abbot's book, we are physically incapable of perceiving what exists beyond our own physical dimensions without inference of phenomenon. If we do try to reconcile phenomenon within our sensory limits, we will invariably skew those reconciliations to agree with our limited dimension view of The Universe(s) -- the ultimate confirmational bias.

So -- when I quoted Shakespeare's "Hamlet" by saying, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy", I mean precisely what Shakespeare is saying that no man (or woman) knows everything. There are many things in this world we don't know and about which we cannot even dream.

Lastly, your faith in the non-existence of a god is obviously something you feel strongly about and I would never try to dissuade anyone from their faith. Some people need faith in what they cannot prove as a way of justifying their existence and I won't deprive you of that. I can only say that I hope you find as much comfort in your simplistic static view of The Universe as I find in the fact that you don't believe the same as I.
What a load of rubbish..

You have no evidence of any supernatural power or three dimensional universe.
Atheism is not a faith so to assimilate it with a religion for instance is absurd.

I don't need a lecture from you as to what or how I should believe. You are so brainwashed about some silly God you're not even prepared to investigate anything other than that. That is not smart.

What a load of rubbish..

You have no evidence of any supernatural power or three dimensional universe.
Atheism is not a faith so to assimilate it with a religion for instance is absurd.

I don't need a lecture from you as to what or how I should believe. You are so brainwashed about some silly God you're not even prepared to investigate anything other than that. That is not smart.

You're going to hell, we aren't. It's just that simple.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
You're going to hell, we aren't. It's just that simple.
Here we Go again. Same old religious threats because I don't believe.
How arrogant, vain and presumptuous for you to think you know my destination and punishment?
You know nothing of the sort. That is based on pure hate if atheists. Does you're God allow you to hate people and it's not a sin? Where does it say that in your bible?

You're just another brain dead delusional godbotherer.

How many dimensions do you have in YOUR universe?

I can tell you that if there were more than one, science would know about it.
In the case of people who believe in immaculate conception and virgin births etc, they could have hundreds. You're probably one of those mad godbotherers.

Also seems like a prelude to making excuses for how a benevolent god can exist in a universe with so much suffering.

I'm not sure there is much evidence to support the existence of a benevolent god.

An indifferent god more closely fits the evidence.

On the other hand, evolution requires death and suffering to produce more evolved life forms so, in the long term, perhaps the death and suffering IS benevolent.

I'm not sure there is much evidence to support the existence of a benevolent god.

An indifferent god more closely fits the evidence.

On the other hand, evolution requires death and suffering to produce more evolved life forms so, in the long term, perhaps the death and suffering IS benevolent.
The human mind and our knowledge we acquired without the assistance of any gods or fairies seems to be far more benevolent.

*3 spatial
Confusing, no? Dictionaries don't help here. Perhaps think of it this way:
You're standing by a spot G marked in space and wish to measure a box. You place the box such that one corner is on G. You see all three edges radiating away at 90° from one another. Now you could have picked any corner and called it your origin with your box representing a fixed size, space, volume, universe {in which to conduct imaginary "closed system" thermodynamic experiments just for kicks and giggles}. Sure, you can call the edges "dimensions" -- hell, that's what we were all taught -- but since it makes no difference which corner we choose in a Cartesian system, for example, well..
There are no standard names for the coordinates in the three axes (however, the terms abscissa, ordinate and applicate are sometimes used). The coordinates are often denoted by the letters X, Y, and Z, or x, y, and z. The axes may then be referred to as the X-axis, Y-axis, and Z-axis, respectively. Then the coordinate hyperplanes can be referred to as the XY-plane, YZ-plane, and XZ-plane.

In mathematics, physics, and engineering contexts, the first two axes are often defined or depicted as horizontal, with the third axis pointing up. In that case the third coordinate may be called height or altitude. The orientation is usually chosen so that the 90 degree angle from the first axis to the second axis looks counter-clockwise when seen from the point (0, 0, 1); a convention that is commonly called the right hand rule.
Notice how quickly "coordinates" becomes the topic after Wikipedia was supposedly discussing "Three dimensions"? Sometimes being thought of as "Nuts!" and making sense of things is just easier than accepting and regurgitating the established doctrine :fingerscrossed: LOL

Forum List

Back