Warning -- More Warnings !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
one diagnostic tool that should be used to test the veracity of his various claims: it would stand to reason (and I realize here that reason is in particularly short supply among those who believe might makes right) that any given poster's infractions would be distributed fairly equally among the various mods.After all, the claim has been made that mods are impartial and are extremely limited in how they enforce the rules.

By this same use of reason, the greater disparity in infractions for any given poster, the less this statement is true. If one mod accounts for a great majority of any poster's infractions, it is OBVIOSLY untrue.

All any outside observer would need to do is pull up a list of infractions meted out to any given poster. If one mod is hugely overtepresented, corruption is involved. If this same mod is hugely overrepresented for a great number of many posters, then this mod should be removed as they have rendered ALL the claims being made as untrue

one diagnostic tool that should be used to test the veracity of his various claims: it would stand to reason (and I realize here that reason is in particularly short supply among those who believe might makes right) that any given poster's infractions would be distributed fairly equally among the various mods.After all, the claim has been made that mods are impartial and are extremely limited in how they enforce the rules.

By this same use of reason, the greater disparity in infractions for any given poster, the less this statement is true. If one mod accounts for a great majority of any poster's infractions, it is OBVIOSLY untrue.

All any outside observer would need to do is pull up a list of infractions meted out to any given poster. If one mod is hugely overtepresented, corruption is involved. If this same mod is hugely overrepresented for a great number of many posters, then this mod should be removed as they have rendered ALL the claims being made as untrue

A rule I give to Moderators in my past forums I owned or Administrate in other owner forums, is that if they are posting in a thread, finds improper posts or statements, should ask another moderator to look it over, this way the outsider Moderator has a better chance to make a good decision than the one being involved in a debate with the person offending the rules, who might be getting angry or emotional (Moderators do have emotional feelings, surprised?) I had to correct a Moderator went over the line with a member, he later apologized for his overreaction, but the member left anyway....

This forum crew of Moderators are good, but they are suffering from the lack of on hands ownership support, and no active Administrator to run the Moderator group, thus the forum members sensing this, are more likely to complain about their decisions in public view, which I SRONGLY disapprove, but what can they do when they have ZERO control of the software, and sensitive to criticism, real or not.

The solution is a forum wide message from the Owner about the STATUS of the forum (which should been done months ago), and a new Administrator to head the Moderation team. This will go a long way to tighten up control of the forum and the wayward behavior of erring members, then the discontent which has been growing for months can die down.

A rule I give to Moderators in my past forums I owned or Administrate in other owner forums, is that if they are posting in a thread, finds improper posts or statements, should ask another moderator to look it over, this way the outsider Moderator has a better chance to make a good decision than the one being involved in a debate with the person offending the rules, who might be getting angry or emotional (Moderators do have emotional feelings, surprised?) I had to correct a Moderator went over the line with a member, he later apologized for his overreaction, but the member left anyway....

This forum crew of Moderators are good, but they are suffering from the lack of on hands ownership support, and no active Administrator to run the Moderator group, thus the forum members sensing this, are more likely to complain about their decisions in public view, which I SRONGLY disapprove, but what can they do when they have ZERO control of the software, and sensitive to criticism, real or not.

The solution is a forum wide message from the Owner about the STATUS of the forum (which should been done months ago), and a new Administrator to head the Moderation team. This will go a long way to tighten up control of the forum and the wayward behavior of erring members, then the discontent which has been growing for months can die down.
Fou are right. In the pursuit of good moderation, a moderator should never be able to punish the poster they have engaged - especially when it is the moderator who initiated it.

I suggested this to flac YEARS ago, in fact.

I strongly disagree with that Automatic software ban idea, since they can and do make mistakes banning someone because it doesn't think, it just react to a trigger. ALL banning should be done by a Moderator (who are supposed to be the cream of the forum membership) on a case by case basis, that way it is done by someone who can be audited by the administrator if banning's are considered unjust or reactionary (Mods are human, can get emotional), the software can't be appealed at all, and as stated by the chief Moderator it can be done without immediate flesh and blood moderators knowledge.

There is no "automatic" moderation at ALL on USMB.. You misunderstood.. When warnings are issued, "points" are assigned.. All the system is doing is tallying up points and looking at the calendar... Mod Staff has control of the MATH and the "durations" of each type of warning..

It's a CALCULATOR.. That's all it is...

While we're here... Here's another IMPORTANT REQUEST... Don't whine about your threads getting tossed into Badlands or Rubber Room 10 minutes into their life --- IF ---- you cannot control yourself and write a RELATIVELY clean title and Opening Post..

We expect MORE out of the OP.. Including framing a discussion that isn't flaming bait, and holding your fire until somewhere around pg2... What APPEARS on the 1st page -- PREDICTS where the thread is headed... Dont blame us for YOU starting a bar fight instead of a discussion...

Also a major sin is having the OP NOT honoring and supporting their own freaking topic.. Trolling your thread is an admission that you dont care enough about the topic you just posted...
I've seen threads go downstairs and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. It would be extremely helpful and probably eliminate a little work for you guys if the mod who moves a thread would explain WHY. There is nothing like showing a good example of what you think "baiting" is to help people not do that.

Thread posters are held to higher standards than the people who respond.. That's ALWAYS been our M.O. If they can't write a title and O.P. that is NOT an invitation to brawl -- that on them.. "Invitation to brawl" is also the "operating definition of the "baiting and polarizing" rule about writing OPosts.

Invites to brawl are welcome in the Taunting Forums.. OPs that write them 2 or 3 times a day get warnings or bans.. They should put them there THEMSELVES.. A thread that get off the rails on the FIRST PAGE -- is usually the result.. Because the OPoster steered it that way..,

Sometimes the thread just gets stale.. Maybe around page 15, there's no topic left, and TOO MUCH TO CLEAN to get it legal again -- but there IS a discussion going on.. We move those to Zone3 as a courtesy -- not a punishment...

AND -- if thread starter trolls their OWN thread -- it gets closed, moved or trashed with a warning.. Because we shouldn't have to being cleaning THEIR content in THEIR threads..

It's just amazing how many times a day this happens.. If the topic is IMPORTANT enough for you to RACE to USMB to post it -- take some responsibility for starting it as a discussion...

Yesterday or two days ago, I reported several posts that seems trolling to me, yet nothing was done. it was about providing the evidence he NEVER provide I keep pointing out, that he repeats that I already know the answer, I was getting the impression he was just toying with me, but I though such behavior should be discouraged. I am the one who POSTED hard evidence that Trump didn't say he is losing the election, it was being taken out of context, yet I get trolled over it by one particular person, this is my LAST POST to him:

"Yet you can't seen to show the evidence....., imagine that!

You can prove your claim, by posting the evidence, or you can leave."

=====

I am working on a couple projects that will soon take me away from here, places where Moderation will be more consistent. Be owner of one existing forum and be an Administrator of another forum to help them whip that messy front page into good order.

Someday the forum leaders HERE will finally understand why so many threads gets moved out of public view, it partly because the trolling/flaming/Off topic, doesn't get stopped hard! Should be closing threads down long before you need to move the mess to the Rubber room or badlands.

I have NEVER been a fan of allowing Trolling/taunting/flaming posts in threads to continue in public, then be moved to the hidden failed threads part of the forum, where their rule breaking behavior is now allowed to run free, that NEVER makes sense to me. It is part of the reason WHY you have so many failed threads in the forum, it is the biggest failure this forum has.

People who don't debate, just play games, troll, should be told to get off the thread, PERIOD!

We don't discuss SPECIFIC mod actions with a general audience.. Especially not in this thread..

As far as dealing with people who ignore evidence and provide NONE of their own -- just make sure you demolish their assertions based on nothing and WALK AWAY... Ignore the alerts.. You've stressed to them to their limits of cognitive function.. You're done...

Take a note to never again waste time with that poster again when they won't play fair...

Fou are right. In the pursuit of good moderation, a moderator should never be able to punish the poster they have engaged - especially when it is the moderator who initiated it.

If we're IN thread and ignore complete alley fights or personal muggings -- we'd get criticized as well... We can multi-task.. The rules are all about TOPICAL CONTENT.. if it's there -- the posts are legal.. If it not -- we act on it...

If we're IN thread and ignore complete alley fights or personal muggings -- we'd get criticized as well... We can multi-task.. The rules are all about TOPICAL CONTENT.. if it's there -- the posts are legal.. If it not -- we act on it...

Actually the word moderation IMPLIES participation.. And sometimes we go into threads we would probably NEVER choose to spend time in -- just to "guide" the scruffians a bit..., I do that a LOT... And ya gotta be pretty damn stupid to whip out 3 or 4 "no content" posts at a mod and expect nothing to happen..

While we're here... Here's another IMPORTANT REQUEST... Don't whine about your threads getting tossed into Badlands or Rubber Room 10 minutes into their life --- IF ---- you cannot control yourself and write a RELATIVELY clean title and Opening Post..

We expect MORE out of the OP.. Including framing a discussion that isn't flaming bait, and holding your fire until somewhere around pg2... What APPEARS on the 1st page -- PREDICTS where the thread is headed... Dont blame us for YOU starting a bar fight instead of a discussion...

Also a major sin is having the OP NOT honoring and supporting their own freaking topic.. Trolling your thread is an admission that you dont care enough about the topic you just posted...
I've seen threads go downstairs and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. It would be extremely helpful and probably eliminate a little work for you guys if the mod who moves a thread would explain WHY. There is nothing like showing a good example of what you think "baiting" is to help people not do that.

Thread posters are held to higher standards than the people who respond.. That's ALWAYS been our M.O. If they can't write a title and O.P. that is NOT an invitation to brawl -- that on them.. "Invitation to brawl" is also the "operating definition of the "baiting and polarizing" rule about writing OPosts.

Invites to brawl are welcome in the Taunting Forums.. OPs that write them 2 or 3 times a day get warnings or bans.. They should put them there THEMSELVES.. A thread that get off the rails on the FIRST PAGE -- is usually the result.. Because the OPoster steered it that way..,

Sometimes the thread just gets stale.. Maybe around page 15, there's no topic left, and TOO MUCH TO CLEAN to get it legal again -- but there IS a discussion going on.. We move those to Zone3 as a courtesy -- not a punishment...

AND -- if thread starter trolls their OWN thread -- it gets closed, moved or trashed with a warning.. Because we shouldn't have to being cleaning THEIR content in THEIR threads..

It's just amazing how many times a day this happens.. If the topic is IMPORTANT enough for you to RACE to USMB to post it -- take some responsibility for starting it as a discussion...

Yesterday or two days ago, I reported several posts that seems trolling to me, yet nothing was done. it was about providing the evidence he NEVER provide I keep pointing out, that he repeats that I already know the answer, I was getting the impression he was just toying with me, but I though such behavior should be discouraged. I am the one who POSTED hard evidence that Trump didn't say he is losing the election, it was being taken out of context, yet I get trolled over it by one particular person, this is my LAST POST to him:

"Yet you can't seen to show the evidence....., imagine that!

You can prove your claim, by posting the evidence, or you can leave."

=====

I am working on a couple projects that will soon take me away from here, places where Moderation will be more consistent. Be owner of one existing forum and be an Administrator of another forum to help them whip that messy front page into good order.

Someday the forum leaders HERE will finally understand why so many threads gets moved out of public view, it partly because the trolling/flaming/Off topic, doesn't get stopped hard! Should be closing threads down long before you need to move the mess to the Rubber room or badlands.

I have NEVER been a fan of allowing Trolling/taunting/flaming posts in threads to continue in public, then be moved to the hidden failed threads part of the forum, where their rule breaking behavior is now allowed to run free, that NEVER makes sense to me. It is part of the reason WHY you have so many failed threads in the forum, it is the biggest failure this forum has.

People who don't debate, just play games, troll, should be told to get off the thread, PERIOD!
AMEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back