Walmart to Pay Truckers $110,000, More Than Double What Average College Grad Makes

Log books on company truck have just about gone out of style with computers and monitoring to avoid liability. I did my share of cheating the log book back in the day, but nothing like that. You turn in 110 hours to the company for pay, they pay and then are responsible, for allowing it and the fines are worse on them, then what the driver gets. Then the DOT people start taking an interest in all your trucks and drives. Just not worth it.
i guess it's been a while since i drove TT's W6......but you're right, now my insurance company insists on a GPS connected to my smart phone that tracks me all day long.....in a work truck.....

they threaten cancellation is i turn it off......

oh well, we'll all laugh about this once the gub'mit chips our gourds!

:26:~S~

11 hours per day, 60 hours per week are the maximum hours by law.

Who says they're going by laws? They limit driving and combinations of work and driving to 70 hours. As pointed out earlier, they don't cont sitting at docks as 'hours of work'. And after logging 70 hours they not supposed to drive, but they can indeed keep working. DOT doesn't regulate their hours of work at all..

Who says they're going by laws? They limit driving and combinations of work and driving to 70 hours. As pointed out earlier, they don't cont sitting at docks as 'hours of work'. And after logging 70 hours they not supposed to drive, but they can indeed keep working. DOT doesn't regulate their hours of work at all..
You obviously have no clue.
You don’t want to be a trucker? Fine. I don’t want to be a plumber.
But both can end up with a wealthy retirement savings.

11 hours per day, 60 hours per week are the maximum hours by law.

Those are the maximum driving time. But when you take into account that many/most drivers are getting paid only by the mile the 5 hours they sit at the dock waiting to be loaded is not included in that.

Walmart is paying $110,000 a year.
Now go spend your week weeping and gnashing your teeth coveting.

I am glad that WalMart is realizing how important truckers are. many companies do not seem to realize this and treat them as disposable assists. Watched an interview with a couple that drive as a team. They were made "independent contractors" by their trucking company. They grossed 120 grand, and after all the expenses involved with a big rig including buying the fuel they cleared less than 30 grand at the end of the year.

As for coveting, why would I covet a lower salary for a job that takes me away from my home on a regular basis?

Since truck drivers are exempt from Federal overtime laws, they will work about 100 hours a week for that, so yes, you're very close. And, like Ford's much touted '$5 day' not all of them will manage to make that.
No, truck drivers can't drive more than 70 hours in an 8 day rolling average. If a driver is not driving, they are resting.

The federal overtime exemption allows the trucking company to not have to pay time and a half to their hourly drivers. For example, I drove otr for a short stint, when I came off the road, they let me run a local in town route for awhile. While I was doing that, all hours were paid as straight time rate, there was no overtime.

It's wrong in my opinion. If you are an hourly employee, you should get overtime pay.

I am glad that WalMart is realizing how important truckers are. many companies do not seem to realize this and treat them as disposable assists. Watched an interview with a couple that drive as a team. They were made "independent contractors" by their trucking company. They grossed 120 grand, and after all the expenses involved with a big rig including buying the fuel they cleared less than 30 grand at the end of the year.

As for coveting, why would I covet a lower salary for a job that takes me away from my home on a regular basis?
I don't think a company "made" them independent contractors. An independent contractor is an owner operator. If they became independent contractors, they did so by choice.

If you are a company driver, the trucking company can't force you to be an independent contractor. Owner operators means you are buying or leasing your own truc, and are responsible for your own fuel and repairs. If the company changed policy and says they are getting rid of their company drivers and going all owner operator, then you can just go drive for another company.

If the company changed policy and says they are getting rid of their company drivers and going all owner operator, then you can just go drive for another company.

And as more and more companies do that, your choices become more and more limited. Add in that many "owner operators" are leasing to own the truck from the company they drive for and moving to a new company gets even harder.

There is a reason that these jobs have a greater than 90% turnover rate.

And as more and more companies do that, your choices become more and more limited. Add in that many "owner operators" are leasing to own the truck from the company they drive for and moving to a new company gets even harder.

There is a reason that these jobs have a greater than 90% turnover rate.
Right, but, if a company gets rid of their company drivers and moves to owner operator, the shortage will increase and the company will lose drivers.

A company cant force someone to be an owner operator as that requires taking on considerable expense and more responsibility.

I doubt you'll see companies converting their fleets over to owner operators. The big box companies like jb hunt, Schneider, Crete, and swift will always have company driver positions. To not have then would mean the driver shortage would increase tenfold.

Nope, wrong again...
Absolutely right.
Nope, wrong again...
After 70 hours of [b[logged[/b] work, they can't drive, but they can keep working as long as they want. You need a refresher course. Most drivers, nor 'electronic logs', are going to log time sitting at docks or sleeping the cab waiting on a unload time as 'working hours'. OTR drivers are actually on duty 24 hours a day, and sleeping on the job, if you want to get technical about it.

Absolutely right.

After 70 hours of [b[logged[/b] work, they can't drive, but they can keep working as long as they want. You need a refresher course. Most drivers, nor 'electronic logs', are going to log time sitting at docks or sleeping the cab waiting on a unload time as 'working hours'. OTR drivers are actually on duty 24 hours a day, and sleeping on the job, if you want to get technical about it.
You better read the regulations...you're wrong

Forum List

Back