Walmart to Pay Truckers $110,000, More Than Double What Average College Grad Makes

Way back in my youth, I thought about doing it.

If I were going to do it, I'd do a job like Wal Mart or Home Depot or whatever. DC to store. When you deliver to a local business like Central Freight does or whatever, you never know what you're going to find in terms of dock, gates, etc... The stores have docks if nothing else.

I was watching John Oliver last night and he did a show on truckers. Most trucking compares have made their drivers "independent contractors" who get paid by the mile and their fuel is not paid for. If they sit at a dock for 7 hours waiting for their load they are not getting paid.

This is why there is a "shortage" of drivers.

I was watching John Oliver last night and he did a show on truckers. Most trucking compares have made their drivers "independent contractors" who get paid by the mile and their fuel is not paid for. If they sit at a dock for 7 hours waiting for their load they are not getting paid.

This is why there is a "shortage" of drivers.
It is what it is on that part of the deal. When I was considering this as a vocation, the only thing that I was thinking about was "what happens when you get to the delivery point"? Do they have a fork lift or a dock? Is the dock covered? It seems that with big box stores, you have some assurance that where you are going will have some of the luxuries (lol).

Truckers make nice livings on the pay side. Not seeing your family for 6 days at a time though?

Try weeks at a time for OTR drivers; no point in them even keeping a house somewhere, since they will only see it a couple of days every couple of months.

Try weeks at a time for OTR drivers; no point in them even keeping a house somewhere, since they will only see it a couple of days every couple of months.
Its a hard life. I think Wal Mart (on the commercials anyway) get you home regularly. Yeah but over the road owner operators...takes a special breed of person.

I wasn't surprised when I heard about this. When help is needed badly enough, the good benefits will be on the plate.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Reason #26 why I support the Mike Rowe Foundation.

“For context, Walmart drivers make more than the average college graduate with a four-year degree. College graduates start out with an average salary of $55,260. Walmart truckers make double that, without the debt and wasted hours in the classroom with a nutty professor. Society sells college as a must. It’s a hustle. For some students, like those who enroll in STEM programs, college is ideal. Then there are the others who spend $100,000 in tuition for some useless degree and make far less than truckers, plumbers and welders do.”

Much less for starting teachers in many many states.

Way back in my youth, I thought about doing it.

If I were going to do it, I'd do a job like Wal Mart or Home Depot or whatever. DC to store. When you deliver to a local business like Central Freight does or whatever, you never know what you're going to find in terms of dock, gates, etc... The stores have docks if nothing else.
Not all of em….

Forum List

Back