Monthly food costs.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Have you ever calculated your actual food costs per month per person. I've been keeping track for awhile now and have got it down to $128/month. I'm shooting for $120 before I start really economizing, after which I'm hoping to get it down to $100/month while still eating healthy.

Have you ever calculated your actual food costs per month per person. I've been keeping track for awhile now and have got it down to $128/month. I'm shooting for $120 before I start really economizing, after which I'm hoping to get it down to $100/month while still eating healthy.
What kinds of foods do you buy that only cost $32/ week?

We spend that a week, or close to it.

I spent $70 dollars last month but it isn't healthy. Burrito's and Raman noodles, canned chili etc... But than again I don't cook and am a big fan of the microwave.

Uh.... yeah... obviously you are making this up or waaay off.
Unless you are eating Quaker Oats for breakfast, one pkg. of Ramen noodles for lunch, and plain pasta for dinner... you can't possibly be eating anything resembling healthy for $4.25/day average.

I spend a lot more than $233 per month.
$128 is really low.

Because the average American home contains 2.58 people, the average American spends $2,792 per year on food, or $233 per month, $54 per week, or $7.64 per day. Here are some other interesting facts about how much food we eat: - The average person eats more than 2,000 calories per day.

How Much Does the Average Person Spend Eating Out Per Month

lizzieloveshealthy.com/how-much-does-the-average-person-spend-eating-out-per-m…

Case in point, just Bonzi and I, thanks to RAGING INFLATION are now spending for food alone about $600/month.
And we ain't eating caviar. That comes down to about $6.60 a meal. Pretty good considering.
Produce is out of this world expensive now, as is meats. Seafood... forget it.

My wife and I are retired. We don't have an elaborate diet but we do eat what we want and will occasionally spurge on a meal. Sometimes we have BLTs for supper but other times we will have steak.

We shop in the higer tier grocery stores. For instance, we don't go to Aldis or Walmart.

We normally would spend about $600 a month for food not including eating out.

However, due to Biden's inflation it has increased a couple of hundred a month. Now it is more like $800-900 a month.

We could eat cheaper if we wanted.

Nuts are too expensive....Unless you can whip-out a EBT. ;)
EBT is about the only way I can see someone eating for a month, for $150 a month. I literally just left the store. And for a carton of sour cream, two packs of taco seasoning, a jar of salsa, and a jar of olives; it cost me $16.50. That’s just seasonings, and garnishes.

EBT is about the only way I can see someone eating for a month, for $150 a month. I literally just left the store. And for a carton of sour cream, two packs of taco seasoning, a jar of salsa, and a jar of olives; it cost me $16.50. That’s just seasonings, and garnishes.
Yep, whole milk is near $5.00 a gallon, six frozen crab cakes was $24.00.

LOL.....Meat of any kind and you need you a second mortgage. ;)

One spot of good news, a local butcher is still selling a generous pulled pork BBQ sandwich, slaw, soft drink, and small bag of chips for $5.00.....Sadly their excellent pork tenderloin sub went from $12.00 to $17.00. They quit offering brisket except on special order due to the cost.

Spend that in one night at a restaurant

Nope. Never bothered. Food is such a small part of my budget that it doesn't really matter.

What do you eat, tree bark?
Here's one breakfast meal, cost 50 cents. Second one cost $1.
50 cent breakfast.JPG
$1 breakfast.JPG

What kinds of foods do you buy that only cost $32/ week?
My low cost diet is actually part of my health regimen.

WW bread
Lean ground beef
Boneless chicken breasts
Frozen fish fillets
Dry beans for soup
Pasta (spaghetti, egg noodles)
Eggs
1% milk
Potatoes
Carrots
Oranges
Grapefruit
Bananas
Corn Flakes (mainly for snacking and breading chicken and fish)
Spaghetti sauce (I add ground beef)
KwikTrip donuts (my only 'unhealthy' indulgence) which accounts for $20/month.

Last edited:
Uh.... yeah... obviously you are making this up or waaay off.
Unless you are eating Quaker Oats for breakfast, one pkg. of Ramen noodles for lunch, and plain pasta for dinner... you can't possibly be eating anything resembling healthy for $4.25/day average.
I keep very accurate and up to date records.
IMG_4457.JPG

No, I can afford to maintain my belly. I just bought T-bone steak for $5.95 a pound at Harp's Foods

Forum List

Back