Waffle House refuses to serve armed uniformed U.S. soldier

I'm wondering why this guy was running around out in town armed? Does he have some Shore Patrol requirement that he was serving, or, was he part of the Base Patrol?

I remember when I was part of the Security Force while stationed in Newport, RI. When we went out on patrol, we signed our weapons out prior to watch, and signed them back in at the end of the watch. Never were we to leave the base armed, unless we were chasing a suspect, and even then we had to notify local authorities.

Unless regs have changed drastically since I was in, this dude should NOT have been off base while armed.

I'd have to find out more about this to see if he broke any regs or not.

However.................if Waffle House has a zero gun policy? I'd be finding somewhere else to eat at while on watch so as not to cause problems with the local community. The business has the right to determine who they will and won't serve.

That being said, maybe they should modify their policy to include members of the military in an OFFICIAL ONLY capacity.

But like I said................when I was in Newport (93 to 97), we were strictly forbidden to leave base while armed.

Fuck you Waffle House, you're an embarrassment to America.

Waffle House Refused to Serve an Armed, Uniformed U.S. Soldier

The company has a strict no gun policy.

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

If I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

A witness took to Facebook to express his discontent at the incident.

Why didn't he just put his weapon in the car?

I eat at Waffle House all the time and have never had to be armed
You will now.
I am not afraid to walk around in public without a gun. Shame that a soldier is afraid to enter a Waffle House
I think you missed the point. The only people entering waffle house with guns will be criminals. You'll need your gun for protection.

Typical of RWs to say our military are "criminals".

That

You will now.
I am not afraid to walk around in public without a gun. Shame that a soldier is afraid to enter a Waffle House
I think you missed the point. The only people entering waffle house with guns will be criminals. You'll need your gun for protection.

Typical of RWs to say our military are "criminals".
Your brain has apparently become flyover country. Read again.

It's amazing how you people who have little to no idea how the regs and rules of the military work spout off about what should and shouldn't be done.

Like I said, when I was at Newport RI and part of the Security Force, we were FORBIDDEN to leave the base armed.

Currently, to my knowledge, there are no Waffle Houses that have a base contract with the Exchange system, so in order for this sailor to be in a Waffle House, he had to be off base. And...............if he was off base, why was he armed? What watch or patrol was he on that required him to be armed, and did he have authorization to be in the civilian community on that watch?

I've got to find out more before becoming pissed at Waffle House. And............there is a very good chance that this sailor violated the rules of his patrol when he went to the Waffle House.

Without special authorization a military member is NOT allowed to carry a duty firearm in a private vehicle either.

Exactly. And, if he was doing a patrol out in town for some reason (or any patrol at all that covered some distance), he would have been issued a base vehicle for the patrol, and if necessary, he could have locked his weapon in the trunk.

This sailor might be bringing unwanted attention upon himself, because the command is going to have to investigate to see if there were regulation violations.

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

If their policy isn't applied to police with proper ID, their staff needs to be educated on who's supposed to be armed or not re: their policy. I'm assuming the sailor was an SP or similar.

If their policy isn't applied to police with proper ID, their staff needs to be educated on who's supposed to be armed or not re: their policy. I'm assuming the sailor was an SP or similar.

When we sent SP out into the civilian community, they were only armed with nightsticks, not guns.

Besides...............it's VERY rare for SP to be patrolling the civilian community in the States, that's left to civilian law enforcement. SP's that are armed are only used on base (at least, that's how it was when I was in).

Some gun laws are on the books but widely ignroed. When working security in Texas ~20 years ago, there was a no carrying of our sidearm if not on duty. Strictly speaking you can't even in transit to and from. Yet everybody did. When I stopped by a convenience store on my way home once a patrol car rolled in behind me, and as I was headed inside an officer demanded my ID noticed my gunbelt. Showed him, no problem, did my business.

Not always practical to disarm even if it's the regs or law. And since there's no law requiring this instance, but it's a store policy, they can use better judgement and recognize some people are supposed to be armed.

Convenience stores along the I-35 highway in Texas were famous for free coffee to uniformed and ARMED personnel. Free security for however long we're there. :)

When I was in Newport, you checked your weapons out from the armory a half hour prior to patrol, and you turned it back in as soon as patrol was over.

And, having served on the Security Force in Newport, I can't think of any official reason for him to be armed off base.

But then again, we only used government issued weapons on patrol, and knew to not go off base or in private vehicles with them.

There is something seriously fishy with this story.

Since he was Navy, chances are he was wearing a sidearms because he was either Shore Patrol or Master of Arms or it was his rotation to stand Quarterdeck watch.
In any of these instances, not just no but Hell NO should he be separated from his weapon

When I was in Newport, you checked your weapons out from the armory a half hour prior to patrol, and you turned it back in as soon as patrol was over.

And, having served on the Security Force in Newport, I can't think of any official reason for him to be armed off base.

But then again, we only used government issued weapons on patrol, and knew to not go off base or in private vehicles with them.

There is something seriously fishy with this story.
Very true about signing out weapons for watch.
So that leaves either SP or MA

Hey................like I said, SP's were given batons, and MA's might have a sidearm, but they can't carry their own while on watch (has to be government issue) and they had to sign them out from the armory prior to watch and back in after shift, just like we did.

Like I said........there's something fishy here.

Delta4Embassprobablyst: 12432219 said:
Some gun laws are on the books but widely ignroed. When working security in Texas ~20 years ago, there was a no carrying of our sidearm if not on duty. Strictly speaking you can't even in transit to and from. Yet everybody did. When I stopped by a convenience store on my way home once a patrol car rolled in behind me, and as I was headed inside an officer demanded my ID noticed my gunbelt. Showed him, no problem, did my business.

Not always practical to disarm even if it's the regs or law. And since there's no law requiring this instance, but it's a store policy, they can use better judgement and recognize some people are supposed to be armed.

Convenience stores along the I-35 highway in Texas were famous for free coffee to uniformed and ARMED personnel. Free security for however long we're there. :)
The waitresses were probably a little on the stupid side. That rule didnt have to be upheld for a serviceman. Geez, use a little iniative.

Forum List

Back