Vegan mother is found guilty over death of 18-month-old son who weighed just 17lb when he died

An all vegetarian diet can be healthful if you know what you are doing, and if you take vitamin B 12 supplements. Vitamin B 12 is the only nutrient one does not get from an all vegetarian diet.

Traditional peasant diets are largely vegetarian. They get most of their protein from whole grains and beans, along with some seeds and nuts. Nevertheless, there is some animal protein to supply vitamin B 12.

Last edited:
An all vegetarian diet can be healthful if you know what you are doing, and if you take vitamin B 12 supplements. Vitamin B 12 is the only nutrient one does not get from an all vegetarian diet.

Traditional peasant diets are largely vegetarian. They get most of their protein from whole grains and beans, along with some seeds and nuts. Nevertheless, there is some animal protein to supply vitamin B 12.
I googled "deaths from b-12 deficiency "

Google could not give any results.

B-12 isn't a problem if you eat a GOOD vegan or vegetarian diet. I've covered this several times in this thread alone. Must I do it again?

Really?

I Googled that exact same search term. "deaths from b-12 deficiency "

Of of the first hits was to this article, in which I found this statement:

Can a vitamin B12 deficiency cause death?

Untreated vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to severe neurological (nervous system) damage, which can put an individual at a higher risk of mortality. Pernicious anemia, a deficiency in the production of red blood cells due to a lack of vitamin B12, can cause permanent neurological damage that can lead to death if it is untreated.

According to the Wikipedia article on B vitamins

Vitamin B12 deficiency results in a macrocytic anemia, elevated methylmalonic acid and homocysteine, peripheral neuropathy, sense loss, change in mobility, memory loss and other cognitive deficits. It is most likely to occur among elderly people, as absorption through the gut declines with age; the autoimmune disease pernicious anemia is another common cause. It can also cause symptoms of mania and psychosis. untreated, it is possible to cause irreversible damage to the brain and nerve system — In rare extreme cases, paralysis can result.

Here is exactly what the Bible says about this, Romans 14:1-4

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

To put a finer point on it, from Romans 14, it is not for you to judge what God will honor more. We are each convicted according to our own conscience. You are free to do what you feel is best, and so should I be.
This is a common teaching of Romans 14, interpreting the passage as suggesting that people who abstain from eating animal flesh have weak faith, and shouldn't say anything to each other about food choices. But taken in context, and utilizing what the Bible as a whole has to say about men who abstain from eating flesh foods, it is saying they have a sensitive conscience that compels them to exercise more caution in fleeing from idolatry. Paul is talking about idolatry in this passage. The context of the passage is a discussion about if eating food that may have been offered to idols constitutes idolatry. There was a clear command to avoid idolatry, and also to avoid eating food offered to idols because doing so constitutes idolatry. Some people Paul is addressing in order to faithfully adhere to this command would abstain from eating certain foods unless they could be very sure the food had not been offered to idols. If they could not be sure then they would eat only vegetables or a vegetarian diet. Note: vegetarianism during Paul's time was the equivalent of veganism. Vegetarianism versus veganism was not a concept until the 1940s. Still others had a less sensitive conscience and if it could not easily be proven that it was sacrificed to idols, then they would eat it. Paul was attempting to keep believers from being divided over the issue. The goal was for all believers to be united as members of the same body putting the needs of others above their own. Some examples of the strongest faith in history are of men who abstained from eating animal flesh foods.

Really?

I Googled that exact same search term. "deaths from b-12 deficiency "

Of of the first hits was to this article, in which I found this statement:

Can a vitamin B12 deficiency cause death?

Untreated vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to severe neurological (nervous system) damage, which can put an individual at a higher risk of mortality. Pernicious anemia, a deficiency in the production of red blood cells due to a lack of vitamin B12, can cause permanent neurological damage that can lead to death if it is untreated.

According to the Wikipedia article on B vitamins

Vitamin B12 deficiency results in a macrocytic anemia, elevated methylmalonic acid and homocysteine, peripheral neuropathy, sense loss, change in mobility, memory loss and other cognitive deficits. It is most likely to occur among elderly people, as absorption through the gut declines with age; the autoimmune disease pernicious anemia is another common cause. It can also cause symptoms of mania and psychosis. untreated, it is possible to cause irreversible damage to the brain and nerve system — In rare extreme cases, paralysis can result.
That doesn't say anything about the number of deaths associated with a lack of b12! All it does is say that a lack of B12 could result in x y and z. That's it!

When you kill a plant, it screams. You just can't hear it. So it doesn't bother you. ALL life suffers when it is killed, you just choose to ignore the plants screams because it suits you.

Far better is to acknowledge that man is here to use the resources that mother nature provides. Just not to ABUSE them.

I use what we plant and grow, and what I hunt. I kill cleanly, so there is no suffering. As it should be.
Great that you use what you plant and grow. I am a vegan so I do not eat meat, and as a Christian, I believe hunting because it involves killing and violence is not biblical though God tolerates it. But I will say I do feel it is far better than eating factory farmed flesh foods if one is going to eat meat. But it is not God's ideal. His ideal is found in Genesis before man fell and was separated from him. Which has been said in this thread a few times, Genesis 1:29, 30, a plant-based diet was prescribed for us as our food from God.

But plants do not have a nervous system. You're not going to find a website anywhere that says they do and that they are sentient. Plants respond to stimuli and are intelligent life forms, God designed them this way. Scientists are learning now that trees communicate underground to one another and share resources. It doesn't surprise me! Our God is an amazing architect. But he did not give them the ability to feel or scream in pain. The Genesis diet was to eat the living plants for humans and non-human animals, life begat life, life and life more abundantly; the plants would sustain us and give us optimum health as it would the animals. But sin entered and we fell and became separated from God and were subject to death and dying, humans and non-human animals; and sickness is part of our experience now; we were not supposed to be subject to sickness and death; the Bible after the fall now describes the Earth as passing away, though this was not what God intended to happen. I've said in other comments throughout this thread that when we fell we handed over the keys to the garden of Eden to Satan and we became subject to him as the prince of this world. It is our choice now to choose not to follow our own inclinations as to what we think is right, but to subject ourselves now to Christ and to his rule. Otherwise we live under the powers and principalities at work in this world that influence our decisions all the time and would keep us in the dark if they could.

Last edited:
When you kill a plant, it screams. You just can't hear it. So it doesn't bother you. ALL life suffers when it is killed, you just choose to ignore the plants screams because it suits you.

Far better is to acknowledge that man is here to use the resources that mother nature provides. Just not to ABUSE them.

I use what we plant and grow, and what I hunt. I kill cleanly, so there is no suffering. As it should be.
One more thing. I already responded about plants screaming, that they cannot since they do not have a nervous system and are not sentient. But about hunting. To add to the other comment, here is a couple of things to ponder for thought.

One is that God only mentions hunting in the bible twice and both are associated negatively. Nimrod and Esau, enemies of God’s people the bible says, who are remembered for destroying life. Another writer echoes this same idea: “The two famous hunters in the Bible, Nimrod and Esau, were regarded in a derogatory light, as ‘rebels against God’ and the very antithesis of the spirit of Judaism respectively.” Alfonso, Laurentino; Sperling, S.; Rabinowitz, Louis. "Hunting." Encyclopaedia Judaica. Encyclopedia.com. 13 Jan. 2021. When God’s very good world is restored to the way God intended it to be from the beginning, it says even the animals will no longer hunt each other (Isaiah 11:6).

And second, this verse tells us God's heart. He is working in creation to restore his purposes, what he wanted from the beginning: Hosea 2:18: In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, the birds in the sky and the creatures that move along the ground. Bow and sword and battle I will abolish from the land, so that all may lie down in safety.

This will include fireworks! How selfish us humans are. Wildlife and domestic cats and dogs and other creatures are traumatized by our anthropocentric views and use of the creation. We pay them no heed! More dogs go missing and are hit by cars over this holiday than any other times of the year. There is a long list of victims on this holiday...... the following are only a few.

1656995154469.png

B-12 isn't a problem if you eat a GOOD vegan or vegetarian diet. I've covered this several times in this thread alone. Must I do it again?
Mayo Clinic

Vitamin B-12 (cobalamin) plays an essential role in red blood cell formation, cell metabolism, nerve function and the production of DNA, the molecules inside cells that carry genetic information.

Food sources of vitamin B-12 include poultry, meat, fish and dairy products. Vitamin B-12 is also added to some foods, such as fortified breakfast cereals, and is available as an oral supplement. Vitamin B-12 injections or nasal spray might be prescribed to treat vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Vitamin B-12 deficiency is not common in the U.S. However, people who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet might be prone to deficiency because plant foods don't contain vitamin B-12. Older adults and people with digestive tract conditions that affect absorption of nutrients also are susceptible to vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Left untreated, a vitamin B-12 deficiency can lead to anemia, fatigue, muscle weakness, intestinal problems, nerve damage and mood disturbances.

Mayo Clinic

Vitamin B-12 (cobalamin) plays an essential role in red blood cell formation, cell metabolism, nerve function and the production of DNA, the molecules inside cells that carry genetic information.

Food sources of vitamin B-12 include poultry, meat, fish and dairy products. Vitamin B-12 is also added to some foods, such as fortified breakfast cereals, and is available as an oral supplement. Vitamin B-12 injections or nasal spray might be prescribed to treat vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Vitamin B-12 deficiency is not common in the U.S. However, people who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet might be prone to deficiency because plant foods don't contain vitamin B-12. Older adults and people with digestive tract conditions that affect absorption of nutrients also are susceptible to vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Left untreated, a vitamin B-12 deficiency can lead to anemia, fatigue, muscle weakness, intestinal problems, nerve damage and mood disturbances.

I said GOOGLE DEATHS BY B-12 DEFICIENCY

where are the deaths listed. 😄

In the context of this thread, the meme isn't really about kale juice, specifically, but about the arrogance and hubris that seems to be inseparable from some strains of vegetarianism/veganism.
It's more like meat eaters feel threatened by people who refuse to eat meat.

After I decided to stop eating meat a few years ago people I knew were always waving meat under my nose when we ate out or when I was invited to their home for dinner and seemed to be pissed at me even though I never told any of them they should stop eating meat.

Even this thread the hostility towards vegans is evident

I said GOOGLE DEATHS BY B-12 DEFICIENCY

where are the deaths listed. 😄
In my initial statement I said that vitamin B12 is necessary. I did not say that vitamin B12 deficiency leads to death. When I went to the internet, this is what I found.

---------

Cleveland Clinic

---------

I am not using the importance of Vitamin B12 as an argument against vegetarianism. I am saying that vegetarians need to take Vitamin B12 supplements.

In my initial statement I said that vitamin B12 is necessary. I did not say that vitamin B12 deficiency leads to death. When I went to the internet, this is what I found.

---------

Cleveland Clinic

---------

I am not using the importance of Vitamin B12 as an argument against vegetarianism. I am saying that vegetarians need to take Vitamin B12 supplements.
I didn't ask for an explanation of B-12.

You jumped into this thread not ready for the discussion.

For some bizarre reason you quoted my challenge to point out the number of DEATH from B-12 deficiency, to use as a springboard to quote an encyclopedia article on B-12 in general. Very bizarre

When you can tell us how many vegans died from a lack of B-12, you'll have something to offer. Until then you're just talking to hear yourself talk.

Last edited:
Don't you love it when people bump a thread without reading it, and post stupid things that have already been debunked?

Sigh.

You get your fake news from an obese omnivore 😄

You leave it to some tiktok guy off the street for your "news" analysis?

The death wasnt caused by a vegan diet You imbecile.

Doctors found he hadn't been fed for a week by the time he died in September 2019

in addition, they were fed a NUTRITIONALLY LACKING diet. This isn't about Veganism. It's about a parent who doesn't understand basic nutrition. And that DOESNT have to include eating cadavers

That there are irresponsible parents who Iack proper judgment to care for their child well is irrelevant to veganism, but that is what gets debated critically when it is mentioned the parents are vegans.

People speak of what they are permitted like that is the will of God, not seeing the distinction there is. We generally fall short of God's perfect will. It is above what things are permitted. God is patient with us, while we should grow as believers, coming to godliness more, which that involves, and that will involve what is revealed for us, without us dismissing any of it. We can't come to know all of such that we are not ready for. Harm from us is not involved in God's perfect will.

I see what is in the design from God, what fits with that fits with godliness. How it was God called Very Good. I know few who would live with godly dominion, to actually be the image of God. I believe having what fits with the design from God for us, shown from the beginning, is called for far more in these times.

“Let us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

One of the best parts about eating vegan is I can watch videos of how my food is processed and there are no warnings stating “graphic images that may be disturbing” like the animal processing videos. It is horrible what is done to billions and billions of animals for humanity going on all the time. If we think there is no future of life with peace and tranquility for them, and would still have it go on, with our choices involving that, we are worse, we would be monsters with that. We have no realistic basis to claim moral superiority.

It is not at all certain that Jesus ate meat, as if that is relevant to our objection to use of animals in animal agriculture that there is now. It is known historically that early Christian believers largely avoided use of flesh from animals, and had the tradition of Jesus never eating flesh of animals either. Isolated passages that some people use to conclude Jesus did eat meat are not certain, with changes among them such as excluding the possibility that Jesus ate from honeycomb that was offered him, after his resurrection, just to prove to his followers that he had arisen and was alive.

People only need something like 2.5 micro-grams a day

That can be got by about 4 oz of meat a day and in actuality B 12 supplements are much more readily absorbed than what is found in meat

Forum List

Back