USMB Poll: Are you for or agaainst the Libya assault?

You for or against the Libya assault?

• Total voters
22 against, 9 for, this board seems to get it more than the general public on a lot of big issues.

Then you have the 6 undecided, and typically american war games don't gain support as they go on.

Support it in principle. I support pretty much any action against a totalitarian regime that is brutalizing its own people, assuming there is a UN mandate, and think the UN should do a far better job of doing the job it was created to do. Of course, I'm enough of a realist to know this is a path that is extremely difficult.

So, $196M spent on shooting cruise missiles will come from WHERE, exactly?

Support it in principle. I support pretty much any action against a totalitarian regime that is brutalizing its own people, assuming there is a UN mandate, and think the UN should do a far better job of doing the job it was created to do. Of course, I'm enough of a realist to know this is a path that is extremely difficult.

Everything has a cost. I support some of the things the Government spends money on, but others I don't.

I find it hard to look in the face of people who are being murdered and are asking "why isn't the world doing anything" and respond "Sorry, we're a bit hard up this month".

It's either a matter of principle or it's not. Economic pressures may cause a person to change their priorities, but not their principles.

Everything has a cost. I support some of the things the Government spends money on, but others I don't.

I find it hard to look in the face of people who are being murdered and are asking "why isn't the world doing anything" and respond "Sorry, we're a bit hard up this month".

It's either a matter of principle or it's not. Economic pressures may cause a person to change their priorities, but not their principles.

Meanwhile, 25% of America's children are below the poverty level, but that's OK because "we're a bit hard up this month"? Really? Libyan civilians are worht more than American citizens?

Meanwhile, 25% of America's children are below the poverty level, but that's OK because "we're a bit hard up this month"? Really? Libyan civilians are worht more than American citizens?

Did I say that?

So you admit to being propagandized by the humanitarian angle. If only it was that simple.

Did I say that?

Nope. Just trying to figure out how any US citizen can justify spending $196M to help Libyan citizens, all the while trying to remove any help for our own.

So you admit to being propagandized by the humanitarian angle. If only it was that simple.

You must have missed the bit where I said it was extremely difficult.

Opinion will likely shift in the coming weeks. The Arab League just announced they are withdrawing their support for this Intervention. They were told it was going to be a "No Fly Zone" but it has become clear that they're bombing hundreds of ground targets. Apparently they're a bit peeved over this. This looks nothing like a "No Fly Zone." They're bombing anything that moves. It's very disturbing.

Are they? That doesn't surprise me. I didnt think they'd actually give the support they promised anyway. Part of me was thinking they just wanted us in another conflict.

No, actually, they aren't but please don't let the facts get in the way of the opinion of the terminally stupid.

I am for getting rid of that Libyan shitstain Qaddafi, who had a hand in murdering well over 200 innocent Americans.

And helping the Libyans determine their own destiny and getting rid of a 42 year old regime.

We did that in Iraq and got pissed on by the Iraqis in return, after that I lost my taste in helping ungrateful people get rid of dictators, when those US Cruise Missiles and Fighter Jets kill the wrong people by mistake watch and see what the reaction will be or when they tire of us being there.

I am against it because we can't afford another war, and we don't know what the end game is. Unless we are going to commit ourselves 100% and be in to win it, we have no business fucking around in Libya. Lets focus on Iraq and Afghanistan, last time I checked American troops were still fighting in those places.

After much thought on this, I have to say I am against. Our pacifist-in-chief is an inept follower and can't be trusted with making the hard decisions. We either go in to win, or we stay home. I hope the future proves me wrong and Qaddafi is taken out. Meanwhile may the Obama's continue to enjoy their vacation while the level of anxiety at home increases. May his arrogance bury him in the end.

I'd agree except for one - quite important - issue. It is NOT a war. It is a military action designed to stop Gadaffi from bombing the crap out of civilians. And that is exactly what it has done. Now, you might not agree with an action designed to prevent a murderous whackjob slaughtering his own people, but I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I am against it because we can't afford another war, and we don't know what the end game is. Unless we are going to commit ourselves 100% and be in to win it, we have no business fucking around in Libya. Lets focus on Iraq and Afghanistan, last time I checked American troops were still fighting in those places.

It's not a fucking war. Can we not just stick to facts instead of hysterical hyperbole?

This is not a war.

French planes were the first in.

This is a UN action designed to keep the dictator from using his peoples military to kill them.

Now the rebels can overwhelm the much smaller Gadafi loyalists and win their own country back.

If the world had not decided to do this then we would have several ME dictators using their peoples military to kill them.

It's not a fucking war. Can we not just stick to facts instead of hysterical hyperbole?

I'm sorry but when you send cruise missiles and fighter jets into a country and choose sides, you are in a war. We can disagree on this without cussing each other out.

Did I say that?

Nope. Just trying to figure out how any US citizen can justify spending $196M to help Libyan citizens, all the while trying to remove any help for our own.

Well, here are couple of observations to help with that.

1. I'm not a U.S. Citizen.
2. It is possible to have principles in more than one area.
3. Consider whether "spending $196m on one leaves no help for the other" is a valid point or whether it's just conjecture.

It is not a war.

it is a move to prevent a dictator from using the people military to kill them.

The people fighting the war are the rebels and they will win.

They far outnumber gadfi.

Forum List

Back