USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well, the last time we moved, I decided I'd never move again. It's nothing but work, and a big payday for a moving van company. However, I guess we could have had a big yard sale. It would have been a lot cheaper.
With me it would be getting rid of roughly 90 - 95% of what I own. I don't really need it now so even if I end up staying put I still plan on getting rid of 60 - 70% of what I currently have.

I love cats. I think they're an incredible little critter. One of natures best. I've had a cat for 30+ years. Get a kitten, show them where their food and liter box is, training over.
Do you still have the one you rescued?

Never mind, I just read your Post #71,994 and see that one is still with you. :)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
I think the best coffee is made with an old fashioned percolator.

this is a Stanley percolator from walmart for $29.97. There are cheaper ones at half the price.

View attachment 751848

My grandmal only made coffee by bringing a pan of water to a boil, dumping in coffee grounds and turning off the heat.
You know I agree? Hombre and I started out with a good percolator and it made the best coffee. But for pure ease and convenience, we just use our good old Mr. Coffee machine now. And it does make a passable cup of coffee.

Nope, I have a 1/2 ton truck and there are very good (lightly used) 28' - 38' travel trailers for under 30K that my truck can handle. Profits from the sale of my house would pay for the RV, no mortgage only space rentals, electric and upkeep. Of course some of the costs can be cut by boondocking for short periods of time as long as you don't go too far having the gas bill eat up those savings.
And you can save a lot on heating and air conditioning by moving to Flagstaff in the summer where you don't need air conditioning and Phoenix in the winter where you need little or no heat. Just 140 some miles between them so that wouldn't drive up the gasoline bill. :)

(I have to say though that I would want more space than that 28' - 38' travel trailer very quickly. :)

I just noticed when I last posted the Vigil List last I inadvertently off Ringel's family. I need to post it more often anyway I think.

Good night, afternoon, morning wherever you are darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here.

And we pray or send positive thoughts or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list.
Nosmo King for healing and health & wholeness.
Big Black Dog for the very best treatment and outcome for the rest of his days.
Gracie for solutions and peace.
Ringel for continued wellness and his brothers' family for relief from adversity and illness.
Hombre & Foxfyre's son for continued wellness & their nephew dealing with ALS.
Beautress's friend Ken for healing and wellness.
Dale Smith for quality of life.
Boedicca's nephew for healing/adversity and baby Alex for strength and healing.

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they will.

St. Christopher is the designated Patron Saint of many places but is most well known as the Patron Saint of Travelers. Usually depicted with a walking staff and carrying a child on his shoulder. I had to smile when I saw that an Atheist friend and a Buddhist friend had St. Christopher medals on their key chains. Both explained for luck, i.e. one can't be too careful. :)-
4399390731_0d98f03fff_b.jpg

51Ja66KnEhL._US500_.jpg

Last edited:
I think the best coffee is made with an old fashioned percolator.

this is a Stanley percolator from walmart for $29.97. There are cheaper ones at half the price.

View attachment 751848

My grandmal only made coffee by bringing a pan of water to a boil, dumping in coffee grounds and turning off the heat.
I pick up these as people no longer want them. They make excellent coffee though it's good to know where you can get the rubber seals from if needed.

il_fullxfull.486611327_80kj.jpg

I haven't needed a new one yet though.

Greg

I still have a West Bend Quick Coffee Maker from around 1950. Basically its an all aluminum drip coffee maker. This one is not mine, I wouldn't be caught dead with that table cloth...........

c457e5289b0d949715177c53bfd3086f.jpg

And you can save a lot on heating and air conditioning by moving to Flagstaff in the summer where you don't need air conditioning and Phoenix in the winter where you need little or no heat. Just 140 some miles between them so that wouldn't drive up the gasoline bill. :)

(I have to say though that I would want more space than that 28' - 38' travel trailer very quickly. :)
For me by myself space is not that big of a deal any more, the tiny kitchen would take me some time getting used to though.

Arizona might be out of the running, their new governor is having lots of anti-gun bills introduced, they maybe surpassing our far left anti-gun legislative attempts.

For me by myself space is not that big of a deal any more, the tiny kitchen would take me some time getting used to though.

Arizona might be out of the running, their new governor is having lots of anti-gun bills introduced, they maybe surpassing our far left anti-gun legislative attempts.
Whoops, the 'far left' description DOES kind of sort of stray into the 'no politics' thing. :) But yes, there are lots of gun laws cropping up these days. These trends seem to come and go with the seasons. I'm hoping they all just blow over.

Well, the last time we moved, I decided I'd never move again. It's nothing but work, and a big payday for a moving van company. However, I guess we could have had a big yard sale. It would have been a lot cheaper.
That's what we did when we left Kansas. Had a huge yard sale including a lot of our furniture until we could fit comfortably into a two bedroom apartment when we moved from Kansas to Albuquerque. After a year we bought and fit into our small house (1000 sq ft) up on the mountain until we filled it up, out grew it, built a large storage building in the back yard. And after 14 years we bought our 2000 sq ft home plus double garage and walled in back porch here in Albuquerque and had plenty of room. Until we have filled it up. :)

I guess it's just inherent in too many of us Americans to be natural pack rats and hold onto a lot of stuff that we 'might need' at some point or we just enjoy having.

We really live in a house and I don't even try for the Better Home and Garden look. But I get depressed when things get really cluttered. My spirits are considerably lifted when things are cleared out, organized, neat and accessible and it looks good. You would think my lifestyle would make the latter happen more often. :)

Last edited:

That's something to consider. You enjoy cooking, as do I, and cramped quarters and capacity for that do not improve our quality of life. The four months we lived in West Virginia, we lived in a two room 'suite' in a pretty old and sort of run down motel in White Sulphur Springs. And it was okay for those four months while Hombre spent his 'mid life crisis' thoroughly enjoying photography school, I did some free lance writing, and we spent our spare time exploring West Virginia and western Virginia, but the very limited kitchen area in those rooms was a frustration for me the whole four months. Not enough to seriously diminish our enjoyment of that experience but we knew it wasn't permanent. Something to think about.

Last edited:
I have a couple of boxes of stuff that I might need someday. Some stuff has been in that box for 10 years or longer, but hey, you never know.
That's us. We have more than a couple. But every time I think we should give or throw that stuff away I think but we might possibly need or use that and then we wouldn't have it.

I'm working back towards my mental objective of: "If I haven't used it in the last 3 years it's gone". Eventually I'll get to the: "If I haven't used it in the past 6 months it's gone".

Ya hit a certain age when it's no longer that important especially if one lacks the room to store all of that maybe, possibly, one day stuff.
I'm older than you are and I guess I haven't reached that age. :)

But then we don't have a lot of clutter in our home, at least what I would call clutter. (Well, except for my desk that sometimes looks like a recycling bin exploded on it.) I try to keep it comfortable and livable if not a fashion statement.

I have a friend who is a hopeless hoarder with good stuff and crap in and out of boxes piled almost all the way to the ceiling in every room in the house with just a narrow path to her chair in front of the TV where she orders and orders and orders stuff until she is broke and borrowing from her friends for food. It's sad and dangerous but such people rarely know they have a problem much less are willing to ask for or accept help.

And I see that and I think I'm not so bad.

Ya hit a certain age when it's no longer that important especially if one lacks the room to store all of that maybe, possibly, one day stuff.

I'd argue that for many people it's not a question of age, but of environment. When you grow up poor, you look for ways to make do with what you can scrounge up. There are many books and videos about inexpensive stuff, even trash, to fix something instead of buying something else that is more expensive. And that mindset never leaves you, even later in life when you really don't have to but you do it anyway. Might be some psychological aspects in there somewhere for compulsive behavior, it's hard to give it up. Almost like throwing away all your underwear except for what you're wearing. You might need that underwear tomorrow. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable throwing out my boxes of stuff, like I would be somehow unprepared for the future. But I'm keeping my underwear drawer, so I ain't that far gone.

I'd argue that for many people it's not a question of age, but of environment. When you grow up poor, you look for ways to make do with what you can scrounge up. There are many books and videos about inexpensive stuff, even trash, to fix something instead of buying something else that is more expensive. And that mindset never leaves you, even later in life when you really don't have to but you do it anyway. Might be some psychological aspects in there somewhere for compulsive behavior, it's hard to give it up. Almost like throwing away all your underwear except for what you're wearing. You might need that underwear tomorrow. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable throwing out my boxes of stuff, like I would be somehow unprepared for the future. But I'm keeping my underwear drawer, so I ain't that far gone.
I didn't grow up rich but I did move around a lot, moving all that junk got expensive. I kept a lot of stuff that might come in handy some day, after my parents passed we ended up tossing at least 1/3 of everything they had, 1/3 was donated and the other third divided among us four boys. Kinda put things in perspective for me especially after my wife died and I started having physical issues. Time to radically downsize.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back