USMB Coffee Shop IV

I just woke up, the ER doc called me just after 1AM, The wife seemed to be deteriorating and I should come in. They were going to put her in the ICU but she decided to go home. I didn't get to bed until 4AM.
Apparently the small mass in her lung is now a very large mass which was hiding the pneumonia behind it, the problem is there's nothing they can do other than what hospice is doing and that's making her as comfortable as possible.
My prayer now is that the Lord takes her quickly with the least amount of suffering and that He takes her unto his bosom as a saved child in Christ with the gift of eternal life. It's now a matter of days.

Last edited:
I just woke up, the ER doc called me just after 1AM, The wife seemed to be deteriorating and I should come in. They were going to put her in the ICU but she decided to go home. I didn't get to bed until 4AM.
Apparently the small mass in her lung is now a very large mass which was hiding the pneumonia behind it, the problem is there's nothing they can do other than what hospice is doing and that's making her as comfortable as possible.
My prayer now is that the Lord takes her quickly with the least amount of suffering and that He takes her unto his bosom as a saved child in Christ with the gift of eternal life. It's now a matter of days.

Oh my Ringel. There are no words. I wish there was someone you could have stay with you so you could get some rest.

When my Uncle Ed was dying at home, he had his wife and his niece there when he needed round the clock watching and they could trade off. Both retired RN's. I don't know what Hombre & I will do if one of us is passing and the other has to deal with it.

Last edited:

Oh my Ringel. There are no words. I wish there was someone you could have stay with you so you could get some rest.

When my Uncle Ed was dying at home, he had his wife and his niece there when he needed round the clock watching and they could trade off. Both retired RN's. I don't know what Hombre & I will do if one of us is passing and the other has to deal with it.
Hospice has set it up so a nurses aide will be here twice a week and yes, I could use a nap right now. She's asleep but if she wakes up and tries to walk she's going to fall. She did that this morning and has a big knot on her forehead and an abrasion/bruise under her left eye. Both knees are badly bruised and a bruise on her back,I have to watch her constantly. If someone didn't know what was going on I'd probably be accused of spousal abuse. The lack of sleep is not that big of a deal, did that for almost 5 1/2 years for a job, I can do it for her if I have to.
Her hospice nurse was here today and the spiritual coordinator came by and we talked for a while. That was more helpful than I thought it would be. The wife and I were both raised Catholic so I'm having a priest come by tomorrow basically for last rites, she's good with that.
She was up for a while watching her "soap opera", the news and wasn't doing too but also not that great. The last few times she's used the TV remote she's hit some button on it and I don't know which so I have to turn it off then back on again to get it back to normal.
As for what you or hombre would have to do hospice is great at providing some help so that's a relief. Also I talked with our patient coordinator, Amy at the UNM Cancer Center, she runs the assistance center which helps with food, etc and can get us at least $300 but trying to get us $500 to help cover the cost of cremation. Cremation runs around a grand. I have to find an urn, Amy recommended any pottery we might have in the house or buy a cheap one at Hobby Lobby as the funeral homes charge big bucks for theirs. As for burial she will be buried with me at the VA Cemetery.

So sorry to hear, Man!!

I'm so sorry, Ringel. So very sorry. And yes..I hope she just falls asleep after being all cozy and medicated with no pain..and doesn't wake up. Well, she does, but it's to be reached for by Jesus as He guides her to all those who loved her and passed before her.

MAJOR prayers for her and you tonight.

Got two hours of sleep in my office chair then went to bed. Just over an hour later I was awoken with her calling me. She tried to go to the bathroom by herself, fell hitting one of the bookshelves in the bedroom (storing bed linen), broke her nose and apparently was knocked out. What I woke up to was half dried blood all over her and the floor. The on call nurse showed up about five minutes after I called her and by then had gotten the wife in the bathtub and partially cleaned her up. The nurse finished cleaning her up and checking for wounds while I mopped and sponged up the blood. I'm awake now. The nurse said she'd see about getting a volunteer to sit with her from time to time so I can get some rest. She's also going to order a "bed alarm", a pad that alarms when the person laying on it gets up.

EerCoYWWAAET3ZB.jpg

Got two hours of sleep in my office chair then went to bed. Just over an hour later I was awoken with her calling me. She tried to go to the bathroom by herself, fell hitting one of the bookshelves in the bedroom (storing bed linen), broke her nose and apparently was knocked out. What I woke up to was half dried blood all over her and the floor. The on call nurse showed up about five minutes after I called her and by then had gotten the wife in the bathtub and partially cleaned her up. The nurse finished cleaning her up and checking for wounds while I mopped and sponged up the blood. I'm awake now. The nurse said she'd see about getting a volunteer to sit with her from time to time so I can get some rest. She's also going to order a "bed alarm", a pad that alarms when the person laying on it gets up.

That is exactly what you need. Somebody to watch her while you get some desperately needed sleep.

That is exactly what you need. Somebody to watch her while you get some desperately needed sleep.
That and maybe help with some of the cleaning.

Good morning, good day, or good night my darlinks. May your coming days be full of peace, light and hope, but if not may you be strengthened and reassured that this too shall pass. Meanwhile we pray or send positive vibes or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list.
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Montrovant for continued progress in his transition.
Kat for wellness
JustAnotherNut for wellness
Mindful and healing for her shoulder.
Good results for Nosmo King 's step nephew dealing with difficult surgeries.
Beautress for wellness.
Gracie and Mr. G. for continued progress for solutions.
007 and his mom and family for comfort and peace.
Corazon for wellness.
For gallantwarrior for impending surgeries and his safety and resolution of his impossible situation with his 'partner'.
Ringel and Ms Ringel - comfort, wellness, strength, peace, love for both.

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.
1596691967521.png

That and maybe help with some of the cleaning.

When the priest comes, maybe there will be opportunity to ask if he might know of some volunteers from the church who could help out either with just sitting and watching so you could sleep or help with other things you don't have the strength to do right now. I so wish I had some way to help but our hands are full with an ailing sister and a 94-year-old aunt we need to be on standby for at all times. But my problems are tiny compared to yours.

Hospice has set it up so a nurses aide will be here twice a week and yes, I could use a nap right now. She's asleep but if she wakes up and tries to walk she's going to fall. She did that this morning and has a big knot on her forehead and an abrasion/bruise under her left eye. Both knees are badly bruised and a bruise on her back,I have to watch her constantly. If someone didn't know what was going on I'd probably be accused of spousal abuse. The lack of sleep is not that big of a deal, did that for almost 5 1/2 years for a job, I can do it for her if I have to.
Her hospice nurse was here today and the spiritual coordinator came by and we talked for a while. That was more helpful than I thought it would be. The wife and I were both raised Catholic so I'm having a priest come by tomorrow basically for last rites, she's good with that.
She was up for a while watching her "soap opera", the news and wasn't doing too but also not that great. The last few times she's used the TV remote she's hit some button on it and I don't know which so I have to turn it off then back on again to get it back to normal.
As for what you or hombre would have to do hospice is great at providing some help so that's a relief. Also I talked with our patient coordinator, Amy at the UNM Cancer Center, she runs the assistance center which helps with food, etc and can get us at least $300 but trying to get us $500 to help cover the cost of cremation. Cremation runs around a grand. I have to find an urn, Amy recommended any pottery we might have in the house or buy a cheap one at Hobby Lobby as the funeral homes charge big bucks for theirs. As for burial she will be buried with me at the VA Cemetery.

So sorry to hear that. I've been there with my spouse.

So sorry to hear that. I've been there with my spouse.
Over the last few years quite a few people here have lost a spouse or a family member.

:( I am so sorry, Ringel. :smiliehug::smiliehug:

Another mostly sleepless night, about three hours of broken sleep. The good news is an aide came by, bathed her and changed the bed then a volunteer showed up for two and a half hours, I was able to take a shower and nap before the nurse and the doc showed up. When I told the doc about the wife's restlessness and confusion she told me next time to call because her restlessness means to them that they aren't doing their job. So if it happens again tonight I'll call but they upped her morphine and anti-anxiety meds which I gave the wife when they we still here and she's sleeping like a baby. I'm also waiting on a hospital bed to help make the wife more comfortable with the ability to raise her head up without twenty pillows. They also delivered a small wheelchair so that helps also.

Another mostly sleepless night, about three hours of broken sleep. The good news is an aide came by, bathed her and changed the bed then a volunteer showed up for two and a half hours, I was able to take a shower and nap before the nurse and the doc showed up. When I told the doc about the wife's restlessness and confusion she told me next time to call because her restlessness means to them that they aren't doing their job. So if it happens again tonight I'll call but they upped her morphine and anti-anxiety meds which I gave the wife when they we still here and she's sleeping like a baby. I'm also waiting on a hospital bed to help make the wife more comfortable with the ability to raise her head up without twenty pillows. They also delivered a small wheelchair so that helps also.

Do you or she have any family you can call on for some help?

Forum List

Back