USMB Coffee Shop IV

GW hasn't posted for several hours now. I wonder if he is trying to get home? I have no idea how dangerous that may or may not be but am sending a few prayers and positive vibes out just in case.

Local news here was just showing a jeep/suv driving over/thru/around a big hole in the road and my first thought was......is that YOU, GW?? Though I don't know what kind of vehicle he has.

He works at the airport??? Not sure in what manner, but I've seen where they've turned away planes...….so he may have to stick around until all incoming flights have officially landed, either there or other airports in the area :dunno:

Hopefully he'll get to post an update to let us know if all is ok

GW hasn't posted for several hours now. I wonder if he is trying to get home? I have no idea how dangerous that may or may not be but am sending a few prayers and positive vibes out just in case.

Local news here was just showing a jeep/suv driving over/thru/around a big hole in the road and my first thought was......is that YOU, GW?? Though I don't know what kind of vehicle he has.

He works at the airport??? Not sure in what manner, but I've seen where they've turned away planes...….so he may have to stick around until all incoming flights have officially landed, either there or other airports in the area :dunno:

Thanks for the reminder of his job at the airport, J.A.N. I bet he was called to work and will be there awhile. It'd be wonderful if he could just take a sec. and tell us that he is okay, no tsunami damage, etc. :grouphug:

Guy at work committed suicide on Tuesday. His longtime girlfriend and mother of his children left him for a friend some time ago, 6 months to a year, not sure.
When I felt something wasnt right at home and dragged out of my wife of 23 yrs she had an affair and wanted to "explore" the situation, he was constantly asking how I was.. Now I'm wondering if there isn't something I could have done or should have noticed. He seemed like he was ok
For awhile I couldn' think straight. Darkness hits you so hard and so fast. Dad died right after and I stood at his grave alone. Only thing that got me thru was a brother who had been thru it twice take me in, talk me thru . Was there bout 2 months.
Yeah my older brother took his life too. It's hard on the family.

I lost my Dad in 2012 also. Nothing in life prepares you for the passing of a parent.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Even had you known he was contemplating suicide, you can't blame yourself for their actions.
I'm not....some reflection is proper and due I think at times like this.

I have contemplated suicide myself in the past, and not without reason. I have been schizophrenic since 1969 and have had much mental suffering. But my advice to anyone thinking of suicide is. DON'T DO IT.
Especially if you are young and having emotional upsets. Believe me if you live long enough you will get stronger, and better able to deal with things. I am 72 and although I was mildly depressed all day I finally got it together, and did two hours painting on a picture I have been working on since the beginning of the week.
I seem to finally be getting it together with painting, and appear to be having a late flowering. Although I wake up in the morning, look at my work and wonder what I am bothering for. It just looks like a mess. But as the day goes on I brighten up and each time I get it together to do some work I make headway and the painting looks better.

Well we will soon see whether you people think it was worth the trouble, as I am getting close to completing it and will probably do so by next week. Then I will post a picture of it.
Looking forward to seeing your painting when it's done, Dajjjal. :)

He is a skilled mechanic that fixes whatever needs fixing on the planes at the airport and oversees their general servicing. (He also teaches airplane mechanics at the university.) And he was at work when the earthquake(s) hit. He was okay but all the roads out of Anchorage have been damaged or are blocked by mud or rockslides and we think he could possibly have tried to make it to his homestead to take care of the dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys, and a sizable goat herd. He lives an hour or two north of Anchorage.

He is a skilled mechanic that fixes whatever needs fixing on the planes at the airport and oversees their general servicing. (He also teaches airplane mechanics at the university.) And he was at work when the earthquake(s) hit. He was okay but all the roads out of Anchorage have been damaged or are blocked by mud or rockslides and we think he could possibly have tried to make it to his homestead to take care of the dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys, and a sizable goat herd. He lives an hour or two north of Anchorage.

then being a mechanic and doing the servicing.....he may be stuck at work to care for the planes that had been diverted. :dunno:

With the roads being as they are, it could be near impossible to get home. Hopefully his partner did or maybe a friend or neighbor to care for the animals?

If nothing else, most animals can survive some tough situations as long as they have water.

Especially thinking of the folks in and around Anchorage dealing with the aftermath of the earthquakes and aftershocks, and especially our friend gallantwarrior and his homestead and his beloved critters on it. May he and they be reunited safely and all is well.

And condolences to the family of President George H.W. Bush who passed today.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Ringel and Mrs. Ringel awaiting diagnosis.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

f7cb6817745e90bf5e67ba41853e24bb.jpg

Talking to him now. He made it home. Stemware glasses took a hit he says. Kitchen counter rattled loose and blocked door but he got in. All animals ok. Aftershocks ALL NIGHT. Not alot of power so can't get on right now but will when he can.

Thank you. I will continue to worry about him for awhile but glad to know he's okay.

As he spoke, I typed :)

He will check in as soon as he can. But at least we know he is safe at home..has all supplies needed, critters ok too. :)

Lots of closures, hospitals, schools, performances and meetings cancelled all over the area. I've lived here 30 years and this is the biggest earthquake I've experienced. Dang, another after shock!
Just checking in to see how you're doing. Don't have your phone number anymore and was worried about you with the earthquake. Glad you are okay.
Hey, Sheila! I was wondering how you were doing. Every time I drive home on a nice day and see Denali, I think of you and how it just wasn't cooperative that day you came up. Did you get your kitchen remodel done?
I'm doing OK, a little damage but nothing "earthshaking" (pun intended).

More dangerous for rude drivers. In standstill traffic it is an effort not to jerk some a-hole out of their car and whip them to within an inch of their life. Everyone will get where they need to, a lot faster if all of us behave and are courteous. The worst choke point was where they were routing three lanes of highway traffic off the highway and through Eagle River. Fortunately, most of the people trying to get to ER and after that driving was pretty much normal until the one spot where a pothole had swallowed the inbound lanes of the highway. There, outbound traffic was routed off the highway onto a frontage road and the inbound traffic along the normally outbound lanes. My big crunch was fuel. Yesterday as a fill-up day but all my regular stops were either closed or had lines out of sight. I thought I'd have a chance to fuel up in Eagle River but all four gas stations were closed. On to Wasilla. I found a couple of gas stations open and dispensing fuel but the one I stopped at had a 10 gallon limit. That got me home, it's all I needed.

Actually, the planes that could, kept going. Just as and after the quake, planes were doing "go-arounds" but came in to land after it was safe. The biggest problem for us was getting crews through the terminal. Both North and South terminals were closed and evacuated until deemed safe. Fortunately, only the North (International) terminal was damaged. Hehehe...Customs was flooded because a water pipe, or two, broke. But that was enough to stop crews moving through. Of course, we handle mostly cargo planes and cargo service hardly took a hit at all. Passenger service was another thing but they got things going again after only a couple of hours. Still puts a kink in air travel, though. The railroad has a lot of inspections to do and the main terminal was damaged. The port survived quite well and they've been reassuring folks that regular shipments of food and other necessities will proceed as scheduled. No need to rush the grocery stores, most of which were closed anyhow.

then being a mechanic and doing the servicing.....he may be stuck at work to care for the planes that had been diverted. :dunno:

With the roads being as they are, it could be near impossible to get home. Hopefully his partner did or maybe a friend or neighbor to care for the animals?

If nothing else, most animals can survive some tough situations as long as they have water.
Unfortunately, water is the problem. I have to thaw it out daily and add fresh.

Talking to him now. He made it home. Stemware glasses took a hit he says. Kitchen counter rattled loose and blocked door but he got in. All animals ok. Aftershocks ALL NIGHT. Not alot of power so can't get on right now but will when he can.
Thanks for the call and concern, Gracie. Yup, not too much damage, really. And the power being out is never a problem here because we usually make our own power. Our new generator had to be taken in for warranty work, though and you can imagine how much solar power we get when sunrise is close to 10 am and sunset is close to quarter to four. That's not accounting for the fact that is snowing and cloudy right now, too!
Hope you enjoy your explorations of Maryville. Thank MrG for the suggestion about making sure someone knows I'll be going under the house before I go.

I'm thankful for everyone's concern. I am able to link the laptop to my cell phone, my Wi-Fi doesn't work without power to charge it, though. So here's an update and then I have to get back to work cleaning and assessing for any possibly worse damage.
We were lucky that no deaths or serious injuries have been reported related to the quake of aftershocks. 30 years and this was the biggest quake I've experienced. Lots of infrastructure damage and some of us are going to push to build that infamous "bridge to nowhere" because it would have allowed a lot of folks to bypass the bottleneck out of town by giving us an alternate route. Maybe.
I got home a little after 5pm, I started at 11am. That's a long drive but I was determined. Then I stayed home instead of going to work. (I'll have to get back tonight but I think the worst is over since they've managed to find "go-arounds" for the bad spots.) I no longer have matched sets of wine glasses or the beer steins and glasses I've dragged around the world, and I'll be picking up glass for a while, I suspect. Wine glasses explode like little glass bombs, did y'all know that? One interesting thing, though. My partner is always unlocking windows. He's afraid he'll lock himself out and need to climb through one, or he's just too lazy to lock them. Either way, because the windows weren't locked they were able to flex open and closed and didn't blow out of the frame. I found most of the windows partially open but not broken. Both my heavy stoves shifted, which was a surprise. I thought something heavy like that would be pretty stable. The wood burner is on pavers and went off true about 8 inches and the propane heater (looks like wood stove with fake logs) almost fell of its cinder block base. I got the propane stove back in place but have to wait for the partner to help move the wood stove.
So, all-in-all, my guests will have to swill wine out of the bottle and the place was pretty cold and glass crunches when walked on, but my personal damages are minimal. Anchorage too a pretty big hit and it will take a while to recover everything. I'm grateful to know that there are so many of you guys who care enough to worry and thank you most heartily.

Unfortunately, water is the problem. I have to thaw it out daily and add fresh.

To be completely honest, I was actually more concerned about predators but didn't want to alarm. I don't know all of your situation, but can only imagine that if you're on 200 acres you'd have to be far enough away from civilization and would be at greater risk.

Animals can survive a while without water depending on how long, they just won't be happy about it. Have you looked into heated waterers? I know some are electric which may or may not be practical for you, but maybe battery operated??? I don't know how effective in your climate, or even if safe, but might be worth looking into.

Forum List

Back