USMB Coffee Shop IV

Lots of closures, hospitals, schools, performances and meetings cancelled all over the area. I've lived here 30 years and this is the biggest earthquake I've experienced. Dang, another after shock!
Just checking in to see how you're doing. Don't have your phone number anymore and was worried about you with the earthquake. Glad you are okay.

Here's the January lineup:

January 2
Some Like it Hot

January 9
It Happened one Night

January 16
Breakfast at Tiffany's

January 23
How Green was my Valley

January 30
Singin' in the Rain

That's a pretty good start for the new year.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single one of those movies. :p I've probably seen a scene here and there, but that's it. That includes The Grapes of Wrath and To Kill a Mockingbird. If I have seen any of them, it was when I was young and I don't remember it.
Every one of those films is definitely worth watching. I'm sure many of our fellow CShoppers would agree.

It's unlikely I would enjoy many of them. They are just too old for me. I have a very hard time with black and white movies, and I can't imagine watching the Mickey Rooney stereotype Asian role without cringing. I've seen clips of his portrayal and it doesn't strike me as at all funny, just sad. Singin in the Rain might be one I could enjoy, just because the title song is so iconic and just seeing the title puts the song in my head. :)

There are a few movies that are simply made for black and white. "To Kill a Mockingbird" for instance is an incredibly amazing film that I can't imagine anybody would not appreciate, but I can't imagine it in anything other than black and white. Same with "Schindler's List" that just wouldn't have worked in color except for the poignant image of the little girl's red coat that was the one thing in color in the entire film until the closing scene when the survivors and progeny of 'Schindler's jews' were placing ceremonial stones on his gravestone in tribute to him.

I actually have never watched Schindler's List, specifically because it's in black and white. :lol:

I challenge you to do so. It is a film nobody should not see.

Just saw the news. Came here immediately to see how GW is doing and I'm glad he's ok! Wow. Mother Earth is having a hissy, isn't she? Well...once we get settled here....favor returned, GW. Come to us!

Meanwhile..I hope your critters are ok and your home is as well. Have you heard from the partner and does he know how the places are? I will keep checking in to see how you are. I got a message today on the NEW phone that you called a couple of days ago but I just now saw it. Either its the phone..or me. Prolly me. Still learning how to use this one.

Anyway...I won't call you because I know you are at work although maybe not actually working..still...I know what its like to get phone calls in the middle of a crisis, lol. Very comforting but can be hectic. So...as I said...I will keep checking in with you. And know that if you hafta high tail it....grab yer critters and head on down to burned up Cali. I'll find a hole for ya!

gallantwarrior

Oh you can stop in Washington State. We can find a place for you too.

Lots of closures, hospitals, schools, performances and meetings cancelled all over the area. I've lived here 30 years and this is the biggest earthquake I've experienced. Dang, another after shock!
Just checking in to see how you're doing. Don't have your phone number anymore and was worried about you with the earthquake. Glad you are okay.

Sheila!!!! Oh my goodness how tickled to see you here! I sure wish you would make these visits more often. :)

Just saw the news. Came here immediately to see how GW is doing and I'm glad he's ok! Wow. Mother Earth is having a hissy, isn't she? Well...once we get settled here....favor returned, GW. Come to us!

Meanwhile..I hope your critters are ok and your home is as well. Have you heard from the partner and does he know how the places are? I will keep checking in to see how you are. I got a message today on the NEW phone that you called a couple of days ago but I just now saw it. Either its the phone..or me. Prolly me. Still learning how to use this one.

Anyway...I won't call you because I know you are at work although maybe not actually working..still...I know what its like to get phone calls in the middle of a crisis, lol. Very comforting but can be hectic. So...as I said...I will keep checking in with you. And know that if you hafta high tail it....grab yer critters and head on down to burned up Cali. I'll find a hole for ya!

gallantwarrior

I could accommodate GW pretty short term along with the dogs and cats. . .BUT. . .I think the neighbors and probably the city would object to a herd of goats.

I've got some friends that we could find a place for the goats. They have goats of their own.

Sheila!!!! Oh my goodness how tickled to see you here! I sure wish you would make these visits more often. :)

Just busy I guess. Hope you are all well, and it' nice to be missed.

Just busy I guess. Hope you are all well, and it' nice to be missed.

Busy is good. And missed yes you have been.

I'm off to the store to buy cornish game hens and such for our luncheon tomorrow. We all decided to get back to church so have moved our weekly luncheon at our house to Saturday. Catch ya'll later.

Incidentally we just checked the news here. ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC are all running their normal programming with no seeming interest in the Alaska quake. Fox News has been running pretty much non stop Alaska earthquake coverage all morning. The President has declared Alaska a disaster area with federal help on the way. The airport is back open which is no doubt keeping GW busy, but the trains, most highways out of Anchorage, and the Alaska pipeline are still closed down until they can complete full inspections.

Not looking good for GW to get home today or tonight. :(

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single one of those movies. :p I've probably seen a scene here and there, but that's it. That includes The Grapes of Wrath and To Kill a Mockingbird. If I have seen any of them, it was when I was young and I don't remember it.
Every one of those films is definitely worth watching. I'm sure many of our fellow CShoppers would agree.

It's unlikely I would enjoy many of them. They are just too old for me. I have a very hard time with black and white movies, and I can't imagine watching the Mickey Rooney stereotype Asian role without cringing. I've seen clips of his portrayal and it doesn't strike me as at all funny, just sad. Singin in the Rain might be one I could enjoy, just because the title song is so iconic and just seeing the title puts the song in my head. :)

There are a few movies that are simply made for black and white. "To Kill a Mockingbird" for instance is an incredibly amazing film that I can't imagine anybody would not appreciate, but I can't imagine it in anything other than black and white. Same with "Schindler's List" that just wouldn't have worked in color except for the poignant image of the little girl's red coat that was the one thing in color in the entire film until the closing scene when the survivors and progeny of 'Schindler's jews' were placing ceremonial stones on his gravestone in tribute to him.

I actually have never watched Schindler's List, specifically because it's in black and white. :lol:

I challenge you to do so. It is a film nobody should not see.

I've got it available to watch, but don't know when I'll get to it. I have a lot of things waiting to be watched. :p

I'm off to the store to buy cornish game hens and such for our luncheon tomorrow. We all decided to get back to church so have moved our weekly luncheon at our house to Saturday. Catch ya'll later.

Incidentally we just checked the news here. ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC are all running their normal programming with no seeming interest in the Alaska quake. Fox News has been running pretty much non stop Alaska earthquake coverage all morning. The President has declared Alaska a disaster area with federal help on the way. The airport is back open which is no doubt keeping GW busy, but the trains, most highways out of Anchorage, and the Alaska pipeline are still closed down until they can complete full inspections.

Not looking good for GW to get home today or tonight. :(
Hopefully one of his neighbors or the partner can get in there to take care of the critters. I hope so, anyway!

Holy crap!! That was probably the biggest quake I've ever experienced and the after shocks are still coming. Lights out in the terminal and the radio coms are down. They just transmitted a tsunami warning. Preliminary strength estimated as high as 7.2. Good thing I have my Depends on.
Yeah just hearing about this now... holy freakin' cow.

Holy crap!! That was probably the biggest quake I've ever experienced and the after shocks are still coming. Lights out in the terminal and the radio coms are down. They just transmitted a tsunami warning. Preliminary strength estimated as high as 7.2. Good thing I have my Depends on.
Yeah just hearing about this now... holy freakin' cow.
Strange waves rippled around the world, and nobody knows why

Interesting. You always wonder whether one thing has anything to do with the other.

And welcome back Oddball. You haven't been here in awhile. Miss your Saturday morning cartoons. :)

GW hasn't posted for several hours now. I wonder if he is trying to get home? I have no idea how dangerous that may or may not be but am sending a few prayers and positive vibes out just in case.

GW hasn't posted for several hours now. I wonder if he is trying to get home? I have no idea how dangerous that may or may not be but am sending a few prayers and positive vibes out just in case.
It's possible he's busy with cleanup, etc at the airport. It's also possible he's lost the ability to communicate via internet, they're having 5.0+ aftershocks which are probably doing more damage to infrastructure. Then again he could be sleeping, trying to get some rest.

It's possible he's busy with cleanup, etc at the airport. It's also possible he's lost the ability to communicate via internet, they're having 5.0+ aftershocks which are probably doing more damage to infrastructure. Then again he could be sleeping, trying to get some rest.

I know. So my prayers and positive vibes are just a little insurance. That's all. :)

Forum List

Back