USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought so too, however it's a common misconception. Cereal is processed and is made with lots of sugar, especially if sugar is listed as one of the first three ingredients on the box. Eggs on the other hand are natural foods. Most of us prefer them over cereal for breakfast, and they are healthier for us, so it's a win-win situation.

Then you're eating the wrong kind of cereal. Stay away from the crap Post and Kelloggs is pushing and go with all natural. I like Nature's Path though most people think it tastes like cardboard, (because they eat too much sugar).

NPA006_Xl.jpg

0005844977050_500X500.jpg

This is pretty normal for their product:

labelL253191.gif

Most "main stream" cereals have a carb count in the 40s and 50s due to the sugar content.

Thank you. I was gonna say, that's not true of the cereals I eat, and I'm a cereal killer.
I've tried pretty much all of the breakfast cereals, including the healthy ones. They are ok as a snack, but for breakfast I prefer bacon & eggs, or ham & eggs, or sausage & eggs with fresh sandwich bread or toast and some hash browns on the side. Along with my espresso, it usually gets me through the morning. Occasionally I may have a second breakfast (like a breakfast burrito), or even a third sometimes. The kid however loves his cereal, his favorite is Frosted Flakes.

One of the reasons SWA is America's favorite I suppose. She was great and assisted competently by the fun-loving demonstrator too. Years ago I was treated some similar to the pre-flight instructions on United when flying out of LA. Normally most seasoned travelers ignore the pre-flight instructions, but when they make them fun, you pay attention.

Then you're eating the wrong kind of cereal. Stay away from the crap Post and Kelloggs is pushing and go with all natural. I like Nature's Path though most people think it tastes like cardboard, (because they eat too much sugar).

NPA006_Xl.jpg

0005844977050_500X500.jpg

This is pretty normal for their product:

labelL253191.gif

Most "main stream" cereals have a carb count in the 40s and 50s due to the sugar content.

Thank you. I was gonna say, that's not true of the cereals I eat, and I'm a cereal killer.
I've tried pretty much all of the breakfast cereals, including the healthy ones. They are ok as a snack, but for breakfast I prefer bacon & eggs, or ham & eggs, or sausage & eggs with fresh sandwich bread or toast and some hash browns on the side. Along with my espresso, it usually gets me through the morning. Occasionally I may have a second breakfast (like a breakfast burrito), or even a third sometimes. The kid however loves his cereal, his favorite is Frosted Flakes.

A lot of that depends on metabolism/nutritional absorption factors and daily work. If one sits at a desk all day then the lighter fare is usually the way to go, if one is out lugging around 6x6 posts and digging holes all day........
As for metabolism/nutritional absorption factors, I know of people who must eat at least 5 times a day.

I love nutritional labels. :D

But. . . but. . . but. . .it appears to be all fiber with almost no nutritional value???? Why not just take a dose of Metamucil or something like that and then enjoy something that tastes good for breakfast?

Cereal is good to me but I always thought it was too high in carbs. This is 17 net carbs and if it tastes good, that's a plus. It's low in calories and salt too. Too little protein but I can live with that just for breakfast or have some kind of higher protein side.

I enjoy a good cereal every once in awhile, but it does have to have flavor and taste good. We prefer hot cereals--oatmeal or malt-o-meal or something like that--complimented with fresh or frozen fruit and a protein. And I'll admit I do add some sugar because it just tastes better with. I figure at my age, something has to kill me, but at least I'll enjoy the ride.

But. . . but. . . but. . .it appears to be all fiber with almost no nutritional value???? Why not just take a dose of Metamucil or something like that and then enjoy something that tastes good for breakfast?

Cereal is good to me but I always thought it was too high in carbs. This is 17 net carbs and if it tastes good, that's a plus. It's low in calories and salt too. Too little protein but I can live with that just for breakfast or have some kind of higher protein side.

I enjoy a good cereal every once in awhile, but it does have to have flavor and taste good. We prefer hot cereals--oatmeal or malt-o-meal or something like that--complimented with fresh or frozen fruit and a protein. And I'll admit I do add some sugar because it just tastes better with. I figure at my age, something has to kill me, but at least I'll enjoy the ride.

Chopped walnuts go good in oatmeal....and good for you, too.

Okay we're back up and running yet again everybody. Sorry I wasn't here earlier but hope we don't lose folks in the transition.

And the statistics so far:

The original USMB Coffee Shop opened on 5-4-2010 and acquired 80,455 posts and 3,285,729 views before it closed on 7-30-13.
USMB Coffee Shop II opened on 7-30-13 and acquired 25,935 posts and 486,351 views before it closed on 4-14-14.
The USMB Coffee Shop III opened on 4-15-14 and at that time the total stats for the 'franchise' is:
106,390 posts
371 different people (give or take a few due to name changes) have posted in the Coffee Shop at some time.​
I like to think this record is because of the really special people we have learned to get to know and love in the Coffee Shop, and the genuine affection, concern, and encouragement that can be found there. And there's always room for more folks who need or want or appreciate that.

Long live the Coffee Shop!!!
Hear, hear, Foxfyre! Sorry I was late to the party, but owed my friend Spoonman a rep for all the pictures he put on the Ornithology thread, etc., and first thing I saw in his thread history was a link to the new CS, which was to be my next stop anyways to thank Foxfyre for all her care in tending this wonderful Coffee Shop where everybody meets day and night, and nobody minds if you cry a little about the broken washing machine, broken facial bones in a fall, and suddenly facing doing four jobs instead of one when your partner's health fails and you have to nap more often as old bones heal. :smiliehug:

I'm so pleased as I glance over the new skyroom in Foxfyre's first post how lovely it is, and hope joy and prosperity visits everyone.

Congratulations to AquaAthena on becoming a mod and hope it is a good trip for her and her helping hand to keep USMB a fair board. :thup:

Bringing some snacks for the counter on our first day in the new digs. ;)

almonds-woman-showing-raw-almond-bowl-close-up-nuts-healthy-food-concept-studio-hands-lifting-unprocessed-32836633.jpg

Howzabout some Huevos Rancheros?

IMG_20751.jpg
Just need some bread and Tabasco sauce!

Nah....you don't want bread with Huevos Rancheros....hot flour tortillas rolled up....ummmm, good....:)
Yeah, they would be good too when the eggs are not cooked sunny side up. However, when having eggs sunny side up, regardless if they're cooked with salsa and chili peppers, there's nothing like fresh/soft sandwich bread to dip into the egg. :D

Shredded Wheat (wheat'n bran) is also somewhat good. They don't put any sugar in the cereal. Just need to add some sliced apple or other fruit for sweetness.

I love nutritional labels. :D

Speaking of labels, I got the surprise of my life this morning. Somehow, my husband picked up a brand that almost looked like our usual Raisin Bran, but it said "Total" instead of "Two Scoops." When I started reading the information, it had 100% of essential nutrients including Vitamin E which is good for hearts. I thought, "Oh, no, it's crunchy." But it was a good kind of crunchy to the last bite, and didn't hurt my teeth and palate that have been painful since my fall a few weeks back, so I was dreading anything sharp. Also, the raisins were not only large, but plentiful. The nutritionist in me was pleased as well as the Princess-and-the-Pea sensitivities. :lol:

I knew I had a chance to have a trick dog, a Wonder Dog, when I got Daisy the Mutt. She is a miniature poodle, smart as a whip and heir to those circus dogs on the old Ed Sullivan Show. I taught her to "Stick 'em up!" and she dances on her rear legs and thrusts her front paws into the air. When I say "Bang!", she rolls on the floor. I taught her to "Hide your eyes!" and she covers her face with her front paws. I count to ten and tell her "Go seek!" and she searches for the little golf ball sized tennis ball with a squeaker I hid somewhere in the living room. But when I saw this video, I knew we were strictly Ted Mack Amateur Hour material.

Take a look:

I Still Can't Believe This Is Real! You Will Be STUNNED.

That was awesome, Nosmo. Like you our little dog (RIP) was sharp as a tack and could do all the normal tricks--sit up, roll over, play dead, etc. and would go get Hombre's slippers immediately when he came in from work, would go get Hombre's cap and coat for him when it was time to go for a walk, etc. But the dog in that video...wow.

Also just saw this for those of ya'll who are feeling old these days. Just goes to show that age is just a number as you watch Simon Cowell go from yawns to cheers on Britain's Got Talent:

This 79-Year-Old Grandma Will Stun You With Her Salsa-Dancing Skills - 9GAG.tv

Just need some bread and Tabasco sauce!

Nah....you don't want bread with Huevos Rancheros....hot flour tortillas rolled up....ummmm, good....:)

Tabasco's kind of a last resort too -- that stuff is way to vinegary.
Here ya go:

85mm0792z.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love vinegar in its place. I'm soaking some audio connectors in it right now.

Yup, Thrashers, the original boardwalk fries!!!!!

fry_thumb.jpg

Tomorrows breakfast is Chorizo and eggs.

chorizo+&+eggs+008.JPG

For one right?

Years ago we were visiting our daughter in Palo Alto and she had to work so Hombre and I decided to drive into San Francisco and spend the day sight seeing or whatever. It was early morning and we were hungry and we saw the golden arches of what is probably San Francisco's only McDonalds? So we got off the freeway at the next exit and could no longer see the golden arches and there seemed to be no access to go back that way off the freeway.

So, completely lost, we continued on through a part residential, part commercial neighborhood until voila, we would up at a commerical pier on the bay. By this time we were famished, and we noted a little hole in the wall restaurant--no decor, the seating was bench style picnic tables, and the smallest breakfast on a limited menu was three eggs plus hot biscuits, ham, sausage, bacon, potatoes, etc.!!! This place catered to longshoremen and nobody else. But we ordered breakfast and I still recall it fondly as one of the best I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back