USMB Age Test

16_12f.30313110_std.jpg

Whatever happened with kids having mopeds and dirt bikes?
Had a dirt bike from the time I was ten till sixteen. We rode em everywhere,when we expected cops we'd ride side saddle so you could jump off and act like you were pushing it at the first sight of a cop.
Of course sometimes they wouldnt fall for it and the chase was on,as long as you could make it to the bayou you were good.
They changed the age for driving mopeds to the same as driving a motorcycle and.. as for dirt bikes...
video games happened...

I cant imagine being a kid and preferring a video game over a YZ 80.
Bet it has a lot to do with over protective parents and militant cops these days.
When I was around twelve we lived out in the boonies and i'd ride around on the backroads with my shotgun or rifle and the local Sheriff would just wave.
It is still like that here; I ride my four wheeler on the side of the road with whatever weapon I have that day, and the cops just wave.

Did have a convoy of New Yorkers almost have a wreck, riding down the road with an AK.

That was pretty funny; bet they never saw such shit before.

The city pretty much ate my small town outside of Houston over the years.
A couple more years and the wife and I are heading back to the boonies.

Had a dirt bike from the time I was ten till sixteen. We rode em everywhere,when we expected cops we'd ride side saddle so you could jump off and act like you were pushing it at the first sight of a cop.
Of course sometimes they wouldnt fall for it and the chase was on,as long as you could make it to the bayou you were good.
They changed the age for driving mopeds to the same as driving a motorcycle and.. as for dirt bikes...
video games happened...

Bet it has a lot to do with over protective parents and militant cops these days.
When I was around twelve we lived out in the boonies and i'd ride around on the backroads with my shotgun or rifle and the local Sheriff would just wave.
Depends where you live I guess. Where I'm at the kids still ride mini bikes. Rifles.. that's the older kids 15 or so and up, unless your hunting with someone older. BB guns & paintball guns yeah the kids run around with those.

Most neighborhoods with their zero lot lines now. Just not a whole lot of green space for the kids to roam free. But even where the kids do have choices many kids opt to stay in more often than when we grew up. Maybe it's the internet, smart phones, video games, and hundreds of channels... Maybe it's mom works now and doesn't send the kids outside to play. Maybe it's overprotective parents. Maybe it's the schools with their no tolerance attitude and the feminization of males agenda.

video games happened...

It is still like that here; I ride my four wheeler on the side of the road with whatever weapon I have that day, and the cops just wave.

Did have a convoy of New Yorkers almost have a wreck, riding down the road with an AK.

I remember when Hwy 1960 was a quiet country road we used to bypass Houston.

Now the cities and 'burbs are eating up all the best of Texas, like Atlanta did to NWGA.

Last edited:
video games happened...

I remember when Hwy 1960 was a quite country road we used to bypass Houston.

Now the cities and 'burbs are eating up all the best of Texas, like Atlanta did to NWGA.
Nah... Texas is still mostly empty it just seems like it's being eaten up when you are within an hour's drive of the big cities. Go a bit further down the highway, or get off the highway and it's still wide open country.

video games happened...

Depends where you live I guess. Where I'm at the kids still ride mini bikes. Rifles.. that's the older kids 15 or so and up, unless your hunting with someone older. BB guns & paintball guns yeah the kids run around with those.

Most neighborhoods with their zero lot lines now. Just not a whole lot of green space for the kids to roam free. But even where the kids do have choices many kids opt to stay in more often than when we grew up. Maybe it's the internet, smart phones, video games, and hundreds of channels... Maybe it's mom works now and doesn't send the kids outside to play. Maybe it's overprotective parents. Maybe it's the schools with their no tolerance attitude and the feminization of males agenda.

Even after the city caught up to my town we still rode dirt bikes through the neighborhoods in 1980.
Those were the days,just getting old enough to party,hanging with your buddz out at the Moto-x track you've made in the woods. Breaking out the bong between sessions on the track. Good times.

video games happened...

Even after the city caught up to my town we still rode dirt bikes through the neighborhoods in 1980.
Those were the days,just getting old enough to party,hanging with your buddz out at the Moto-x track you've made in the woods. Breaking out the bong between sessions on the track. Good times.
I was living in South Florida, we could ride our mini bikes in the yards or woods, but the NYers & other snowbird put the stop to riding them in the street. Then mopeds came out.. I got one the day I turned 15. Bongs? lol yeah I had a couple friends that did that stuff. They ended up in jail.

video games happened...

I lived off Hwy. 6 and clay road,in fact I still live about 20 miles from there. Back then parts of it were still not much better than gravel. They use to call the corner of 1960 and 529 Wolf Corner. At any given time there were around ten wolves hanging on the barb wire fence and a pile of bones at the base of it.

video games happened...

Nah... Texas is still mostly empty it just seems like it's being eaten up when you are within an hour's drive of the big cities. Go a bit further down the highway, or get off the highway and it's still wide open country.

And thank God for that!
Thats the problem though,if you work in town it can be a two hour ride from the outskirts and your still living in the burbs.

video games happened...

A UT graduate, I left Texas and never looked back.

Austin is so Californicated it disgust me.

I tried to take my kids to Zilker Park, and there were geriatric queers in thongs playing Frisbee.

My kids are inheriting ranch land in another part of Texas; I might go visit them when they move; otherwise, I have no use for the place.

video games happened...

I was living in South Florida, we could ride our mini bikes in the yards or woods, but the NYers & other snowbird put the stop to riding them in the street. Then mopeds came out.. I got one the day I turned 15. Bongs? lol yeah I had a couple friends that did that stuff. They ended up in jail.

A mans got to know his limitations.:smoke:

I tried to take my kids to Zilker Park, and there were geriatric queers in thongs playing Frisbee.

My kids are inheriting ranch land in another part of Texas; I might go visit them when they move; otherwise, I have no use for the place.

Yeah,sadly enough you dont want to live in Austin.
It's depressing what they've done to that town.

Its the San Francisco of Texas now.

And thank God for that!
Thats the problem though,if you work in town it can be a two hour ride from the outskirts and your still living in the burbs.

Little harder to get away from it all when you are working in Houston. Not as hard when you work in Dallas/Ft.Worth, Austin, or San-Antonio.

I went to UT when they still had some of the massive old wooden buildings.

The sound of people clip-clopping on those old wooden floors during night classes, when few people were on campus, has stayed with me over 40 years.

I date the decline of Austin to 3 for $1 Old Milwaukee Quarts and the rise of "Progressive Country Music".

Yeah Austin's weird. But there are a dozen fantastic towns to live in around it. The libs like to congregate in large cities.

Its the San Francisco of Texas now.
Makes me sick.

A former friend owns a club on 6th Street, and was cutting edge in creating that scene.

Former friend!

Yeah Austin's weird. But there are a dozen fantastic towns to live in around it. The libs like to congregate in large cities.
Thing is, sprawl goes out to Marble Falls, Rockdale, and San Marcos.

I think 20 million people have been added to Texas since I graduated.

Forum List

Back