USA goods could be competitively priced

Reminding us all that the Trump administration doesn't really grasp the point of trade they've announced that they're going to make all Americans that little bit poorer by slapping import tariffs of 16.5 to 81% on imports from China of aluminium foil. There's no great national security issue here, just an insistence that China offers this stuff too damn cheap and Americans darn well ought to be paying more.

Trump Admin Makes Americans Poorer - 16% to 81 % Tariffs On Chinese Aluminum Foil

Does this tariff on foil increase US GDP?
ToddsterPatriot, increasing the GDP means increasing the nation's production of goods and services. Regardless of tariffs, there is or there isn't a net increase of gross domestic production.
If USA continues to consume the same volumes of Chinese aluminum, there'd be no increase. Regardless of USA's volumes of aluminum production, if our aggregate production of goods and services did not increase, or if it rather decreased, our GDP would not increase or it would rather decrease.
I'm not a proponent of tariffs or other methods for government choosing winners and losers; I'm a proponent of the substantially market-driven policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates”.

Respectfully, Supposn

If USA continues to consume the same volumes of Chinese aluminum, there'd be no increase.

A 16%-81% increase in Chinese aluminum prices would tend to do what to consumption?

I'm a proponent of the trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates”. Respectfully, Supposn
yes, and that policy would protect and cripple American industry and and impoverish American consumers with tariff taxes!!
EdwardBaiamonte, unfortunately you've never been able to identify and logically explain which and how specific USA industries and/or enterprises would be crippled by USA's adoption of the proposed Import Certificate policy?
Respectfully, Supposn

Reminding us all that the Trump administration doesn't really grasp the point of trade they've announced that they're going to make all Americans that little bit poorer by slapping import tariffs of 16.5 to 81% on imports from China of aluminium foil. There's no great national security issue here, just an insistence that China offers this stuff too damn cheap and Americans darn well ought to be paying more.

Trump Admin Makes Americans Poorer - 16% to 81 % Tariffs On Chinese Aluminum Foil

ToddsterPatriot, increasing the GDP means increasing the nation's production of goods and services. Regardless of tariffs, there is or there isn't a net increase of gross domestic production.
If USA continues to consume the same volumes of Chinese aluminum, there'd be no increase. Regardless of USA's volumes of aluminum production, if our aggregate production of goods and services did not increase, or if it rather decreased, our GDP would not increase or it would rather decrease.
I'm not a proponent of tariffs or other methods for government choosing winners and losers; I'm a proponent of the substantially market-driven policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates”.

Respectfully, Supposn
If USA continues to consume the same volumes of Chinese aluminum, there'd be no increase.
A 16%-81% increase in Chinese aluminum prices would tend to do what to consumption?

ToddsterPatriot, I just speculated upon the various possible consequences regarding the 16% to 81% proposal you referred to.
If you feel that my post should be responded to, don't be shy; post what you believe should be written.
Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn
ToddsterPatriot, I just speculated upon the various possible consequences regarding the 16% to 81% proposal you referred to.
If you feel that my post should be responded to, don't be shy; post what you believe should be written.
Respectfully, Supposn

You say you're not in favor of tariffs (which raise the price of imports) but instead favor ICs (which raise the price of imports).

If you feel the higher price in one case reduces imports and increases GDP, but the other doesn't,
feel free to explain why there is a material difference. Or don't.

I'm a proponent of the trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates”. Respectfully, Supposn
yes, and that policy would protect and cripple American industry and and impoverish American consumers with tariff taxes!!
EdwardBaiamonte, unfortunately you've never been able to identify and logically explain which and how specific USA industries and/or enterprises would be crippled by USA's adoption of the proposed Import Certificate policy?
Respectfully, Supposn
When you protect an industry from competition you weaken it against completion. You want world class products not second rate products. You want to beat the competition not run from it and grow weaker. Do you know how good Soviet cars were after decades of being protected from competition

You say you're not in favor of tariffs (which raise the price of imports) but instead favor ICs (which raise the price of imports).

If you feel the higher price in one case reduces imports and increases GDP, but the other doesn't,
feel free to explain why there is a material difference. Or don't.
Toddsterpatriot, refer to the initial post of the topic,
Import Certificates Vs. Tariffs

Respectfully, Supposn

When you protect an industry from competition you weaken it against completion. You want world class products not second rate products. You want to beat the competition not run from it and grow weaker. Do you know how good Soviet cars were after decades of being protected from competition.
EdwardBaiamonte, Import Certificate policy couldn't entirely reduce the foreign advantages due to lower wage rate labor, and the policy could hardly protect them from apparent quality shortcomings. There was no problem with the quality of USA produced Zeinith and Motorola TV's; but they're no longer produced in the USA due to price differentials.

Import Certificates will not determine if USA should produce more TV's, or Tee-shirts, or lamb chops and mutton; but within an Import Certificate policy, USA would not import more goods than it exports.

Russian's modification of the Fiat vehicles made them more suitable for Russian roads. I haven't heard of them being inferior to the Italian Fiats. I've driven and worked on the Italian Fiat124. It was a very good reliable vehicle.

Regarding the Russia's technical ability, we did have to play catch-up when they put they first orbited earth. Unlike USA's Shermans, Russian tanks were not less effective when they encountered German tanks.

Respectfully, Supposn[/QUOTE]

There was no problem with the quality of USA produced Zeinith and Motorola TV's; but they're no longer produced in the USA due to price differentials.

price differentials caused by liberal govt policies: highest taxes in world, unions, deficits, regulations. Best to eliminate the liberal policies and not cripple industry further with protection from competition.

And lets never forget you are a communist with 1001 interventions in the free market that you would love to see because as a typical liberal you will lack the IQ to understand how capitalism works.

Forum List

Back