US panel backs first-of-a-kind COVID-19 pill from Merck

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Hey..a treatment just for the unvaxxed! Works best if you have a mild to moderate illness--and if you are not pregnant~

A panel of U.S. health advisers on Tuesday narrowly backed a closely watched COVID-19 pill from Merck, setting the stage for a likely authorization of the first drug that Americans could take at home to treat the coronavirus.
The Food and Drug Administration panel voted 13-10 that the antiviral drug’s benefits outweigh its risks, including potential birth defects if used during pregnancy.
“I see this as an incredibly difficult decision with many more questions than answers,” said panel chair Dr. Lindsey Baden of Harvard Medical School, who voted in favor of the drug. He said FDA would have to carefully tailor the drug’s use for patients who stand to benefit most.
The recommendation came after hours of debate about the drug’s modest benefits and potential safety issues. Most experts backing the treatment stressed that it should not be used by anyone who is pregnant and called on FDA to recommend extra precautions before the drug is prescribed, such as pregnancy tests for women of child-bearing age.
The vote specifically backed the drug for adults with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 who face the greatest risks, including older people and those with conditions like obesity and asthma. Most experts also said the drug shouldn’t be used in vaccinated people, who weren’t part of Merck’s research and haven’t been shown to benefit.

Last edited:
Candy coated Ivermectin for 500 bucks a pill. Gee thanks Big Pharma!
Nope...try again:

Posts on social media have claimed that a newly approved drug for the treatment of Covid-19, molnupiravir, is actually ivermectin with a different name.
Although the two drugs are produced by the same company (Merck), they are different drugs, and they work in different ways.
Dr. Stephen Griffin, virologist and associate professor at the University of Leeds, has previously told Reuters that molnupiravir is not repackaged ivermectin and said the two drugs have “dissimilar chemistry” and have different mechanisms of action (ways that they work).
Paul Auwaerter, the Clinical Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Johns Hopkins Medicine also previously told Reuters that the two drugs are structurally different.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) told Full Fact that it “can confirm that Molnupiravir and Ivermectin are not the same drug” and said that they contain different molecules.

Nothing beats the real ivermectin. It's one thing for lefties to oversee their own disease and deaths because they won't "FOLLOW THE SCIENCE" but they want to make sure other people who won't go along with the left's suicide mission to die as well.

In truth..it really doesn't work all that well. Very moderate improvements.

If they can use the Z-PAK regimen for bronchitis or the common flu, they can easily develop one for COVID and all its variants.

Besides, 30% is better than dead, in my opinion. The pill isn't meant to be the be-all end-all. It should be combined with other treatments not named "vaccine."

Last edited:
EvilEyeFleegle You are correct, I was making a joke. Ivermectin is more effective than molnupiravir. Read this excerpt from the FDA review of the drug:

An FDA summary showed that in the second half of the study, patients in the group treated with the drug were more likely to be hospitalized or to die than those who got the placebo. The drug's protection against death seen in the first half of the study didn't hold up in the second half.

When asked about this discrepancy by committee chairperson Dr. Lindsey Baden, Dr. Nicholas Kartsonis, a Merck senior vice president, said, "I don't have a satisfying answer to your question."

If they can use the Z-PAK regimen for bronchitis or the common flu, they can easily develop one for COVID and all its variants.

Besides, 30% is better than dead, in my opinion. The pill isn't meant to be an be all end all. It should be combined with other treatments not named "vaccine."
Definitely, this and vaccination are oil and water. If a vaxxed person takes this drug..it is possible he will develop a mutant variant..that's resistant to vaccines...not desirable~

From the post...
While acknowledging the good safety profile of molnupiravir in the MK-4482-002 study, Carome highlighted several potential safety concerns emerging from preclinical studies. Those potential concerns include embryo-fetal toxicity, bone and cartilage toxicity and mutagenicity, including mutagenicity in vitro and mammalian cells. “There’s also evidence that molnupiravir may increase the rate of mutation in the viral spike protein, which, in theory, could enhance SARS CoV-2 spike protein evolution and accelerate the development of new variants that escape the immune protection provided by COVID-19 vaccines or natural immunity following SARS-CoV-2 infection or that are resistant to the currently authorized anti-SARS CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies,” Carome said.

“The risk of evolutionary viral mutations may be enhanced by tissue exposure to low hydroxycytidine concentrations, which is likely to occur given the proposed 12-hour dosing interval of molnupiravir,” Carome added.

Definitely, this and vaccination are oil and water. If a vaxxed person takes this drug..it is possible he will develop a mutant variant..that's resistant to vaccines...not desirable~

From the post...
While acknowledging the good safety profile of molnupiravir in the MK-4482-002 study, Carome highlighted several potential safety concerns emerging from preclinical studies. Those potential concerns include embryo-fetal toxicity, bone and cartilage toxicity and mutagenicity, including mutagenicity in vitro and mammalian cells. “There’s also evidence that molnupiravir may increase the rate of mutation in the viral spike protein, which, in theory, could enhance SARS CoV-2 spike protein evolution and accelerate the development of new variants that escape the immune protection provided by COVID-19 vaccines or natural immunity following SARS-CoV-2 infection or that are resistant to the currently authorized anti-SARS CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies,” Carome said.

“The risk of evolutionary viral mutations may be enhanced by tissue exposure to low hydroxycytidine concentrations, which is likely to occur given the proposed 12-hour dosing interval of molnupiravir,” Carome added.
Better to remain pure blood than mutant.

Hey..a treatment just for the unvaxxed! Works best if you have a mild to moderate illness--and if you are not pregnant~

A panel of U.S. health advisers on Tuesday narrowly backed a closely watched COVID-19 pill from Merck, setting the stage for a likely authorization of the first drug that Americans could take at home to treat the coronavirus.
The Food and Drug Administration panel voted 13-10 that the antiviral drug’s benefits outweigh its risks, including potential birth defects if used during pregnancy.
“I see this as an incredibly difficult decision with many more questions than answers,” said panel chair Dr. Lindsey Baden of Harvard Medical School, who voted in favor of the drug. He said FDA would have to carefully tailor the drug’s use for patients who stand to benefit most.
The recommendation came after hours of debate about the drug’s modest benefits and potential safety issues. Most experts backing the treatment stressed that it should not be used by anyone who is pregnant and called on FDA to recommend extra precautions before the drug is prescribed, such as pregnancy tests for women of child-bearing age.
The vote specifically backed the drug for adults with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 who face the greatest risks, including older people and those with conditions like obesity and asthma. Most experts also said the drug shouldn’t be used in vaccinated people, who weren’t part of Merck’s research and haven’t been shown to benefit.
Where's the treatment for the vaxxed who get the Omicron variant?

From the post...

potential

Buzzword for "Yeah! We're still on the payroll!"

Oh my, make the pill expensive enough that a middle class citizen can't afford it, thereby forcing them to take ineffective vaccines.

Smart, and devious. Ham fisted.
Brings to mind something I heard about that free covid care last year. Turns out that if you had private insurance it wasn't free at all including the attendant copays and deductibles--even if you had a covid waiver from your insurance company, you could be charged hundreds of dollars. More democrat lies.

If a legitimate pill comes out in a bottle i which if symptoms arrive they will cure you of the virus, this would be a huge deal and potentially the solution for all households if reasonably priced.

Until then, with the risk of so many variants, I just pray that the good Lord protects me. I do my part, and I've been working my white blood cells for decades (just not over the last couple of years).

Forum List

Back