US Justice Dept seeks to close loopholes on some gun sales

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
So..interesting..appears to mainly affect part-timers, gun-show venders and the like:

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday proposed expanding the definition of firearms dealers who are required to obtain a federal license, implementing provisions included in last year's bipartisan gun safety law.
The proposed rule would require sellers to obtain a U.S. license if they "devote time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms," not just those who earn a "livelihood" from such sales, senior DOJ officials said.
The change means certain unlicensed sellers at gun shows and other places will now need to get licensed and run background checks on firearm buyers.
"An increasing number of individuals engaged in the business of selling firearms for profit have chosen not to register as federal firearms licensees, as required by law," Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Director Steven Dettelbach said.

"Instead, they have sought to make money through the off-book, illicit sale of firearms... This new proposed rule would clarify the circumstances in which a person is 'engaged in the business' of dealing in firearms."

So..interesting..appears to mainly affect part-timers, gun-show venders and the like:

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday proposed expanding the definition of firearms dealers who are required to obtain a federal license, implementing provisions included in last year's bipartisan gun safety law.
The proposed rule would require sellers to obtain a U.S. license if they "devote time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms," not just those who earn a "livelihood" from such sales, senior DOJ officials said.
The change means certain unlicensed sellers at gun shows and other places will now need to get licensed and run background checks on firearm buyers.
"An increasing number of individuals engaged in the business of selling firearms for profit have chosen not to register as federal firearms licensees, as required by law," Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Director Steven Dettelbach said.

"Instead, they have sought to make money through the off-book, illicit sale of firearms... This new proposed rule would clarify the circumstances in which a person is 'engaged in the business' of dealing in firearms."
....shall not be infringed

Seal the border, check for accurate elections

I did not know the DOJ can make laws,,,

It sounds like a proper action. I always thought the federal definition of a firearms dealer was far too loose and subjective. In my opinion (for what little it is worth) if you are selling one or more guns to strangers, you are a dealer and should have a license. Of course, then you have to define strangers.

It sounds like a proper action. I always thought the federal definition of a firearms dealer was far too loose and subjective. In my opinion (for what little it is worth) if you are selling one or more guns to strangers, you are a dealer and should have a license. Of course, then you have to define strangers.
the proper action is to follow the constitution and 2nd amendment,,

I did not know the DOJ can make laws,,,
From the OP:

U.S. lawmakers passed a major federal gun reform in June 2022 following a string of mass shootings and days after a Supreme Court decision that expanded firearm owners' rights.
In March, President Joe Biden ordered government agencies to take stock of the law's implementation and reiterated his call on Congress to further act to reduce gun violence, including a ban on assault weapons.

WHAT'S NEXT: The proposed rule will be published in the Federal Register and open for public comment for 90 days before it is finalized, although DOJ officials did not give a specific date. It also could face legal challenges.

From the OP:

U.S. lawmakers passed a major federal gun reform in June 2022 following a string of mass shootings and days after a Supreme Court decision that expanded firearm owners' rights.
In March, President Joe Biden ordered government agencies to take stock of the law's implementation and reiterated his call on Congress to further act to reduce gun violence, including a ban on assault weapons.

WHAT'S NEXT: The proposed rule will be published in the Federal Register and open for public comment for 90 days before it is finalized, although DOJ officials did not give a specific date. It also could face legal challenges.
I will stick with the 2nd amendment under its original intent,,,

So if i sell my car, i need an auto dealer license?
Lol what hogwash

Given the daily slaughter (of mostly black people) in the cities run by your fellow DemoKKKrats, how will this impact the daily shootings in those violent cities?

It's just a matter of time before US military weapons left in Afghanistan come across the southern border illegally.

Or brand new full auto weapons from Israel and Europe and the Eastern Bloc.

Forum List

Back