New Mexico gun control group violates gun law it championed...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
This pro-gun group helped pass universal background checks on ALL sales, both public and private...and then hosted a gun buying "buy-back" event where not a single purchase was background checked. Whoops.

'The investigation comes after NMPGV conducted a private door-to-door gun buyback event in Farmington, New Mexico last weekend. The group initially planned to host an official buyback in partnership with the City of Farmington before city officials canceled it last Thursday in the face of public backlash. NMPGV decided to proceed with collecting firearms from some residents in an informal private buyback. That decision may make the group criminally liable under a gun law it helped pass and still champions.

Signed into law by New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham (D.) in 2019, the state’s universal background check statute requires a federal background check to be conducted on any transfer of ownership of a firearm, whether commercial or private. Only law enforcement, valid federal firearms licensees (FFLs), and transfers between immediate family members are exempt.

Sheriff Ferrari said those narrow exemptions are what drew his attention to the potential illegality of the group’s event.

“Reviewing the law, I do not see where they are exempt from having to undergo a background check and are required to like anyone else,” he said. “A sale is taking place (gift cards $100 and up), it is advertised as a purchase, and called a ‘buy back.'

Buy back programs are nothing but publicity stunts. They really don't make a dent in firearms related crimes but they give felons a chance to make a buck while getting rid of a weapon that might have been used in a crime. Many guns are stolen but the Buy Back people don;t bother to check serial numbers and return the stolen property to rightful owners.

Buy back programs are nothing but publicity stunts. They really don't make a dent in firearms related crimes but they give felons a chance to make a buck while getting rid of a weapon that might have been used in a crime. Many guns are stolen but the Buy Back people don;t bother to check serial numbers and return the stolen property to rightful owners.
Waiting patiently for one close by...I have a Jennings 9mm that I would never sell to anyone, ever, for self defense. But I'll take gun grabber money for it any day.

Waiting patiently for one close by...I have a Jennings 9mm that I would never sell to anyone, ever, for self defense. But I'll take gun grabber money for it any day.
Not a high dollar 9mm but why wouldn't you sell it (legally) to someone other than a "gun grabber"? Did you obtain it illegally?

Not a high dollar 9mm but why wouldn't you sell it (legally) to someone other than a "gun grabber"? Did you obtain it illegally?
It's a total piece of crap. One of the "Ring of Fire" zinc alloy pistols. Fires one out of three times and may blow up in your face.

Bought it 30 years ago for $99 before I knew better.

It's a total piece of crap. One of the "Ring of Fire" zinc alloy pistols. Fires one out of three times and may blow up in your face.

Bought it 30 years ago for $99 before I knew better.

I get it. Let the gun grabbers pay you for it so nobody gets killed by trying to use it in a self defense situation. I imagine some old folks get any old hunk of junk single shot rifle out of the attic and sell it to the gun grabbers. They might even buy fake guns.

I get it. Let the gun grabbers pay you for it so nobody gets killed by trying to use it in a self defense situation. I imagine some old folks get any old hunk of junk single shot rifle out of the attic and sell it to the gun grabbers. They might even buy fake guns.
Exactly.

Yeah, a friend of mine unloaded a ton of crap on one of those events. Stuff he would be lucky to get 20 bucks for he was able to pocket 100 for.

He made out like a bandit!

I believe that most gun buy back schemes pay according to the type of gun that is being sold.

For example, an AR-15 would bring more than a single shot but still much less than fair market value.

Extremely valuable guns have been sold for just a few dollars and from there, who knows....

I hope the group faces legal repercussions for violating the law they pushed for and no deals are made. Give them exactly what they want. Show them no mercy they made the bed now lay down in it.

I believe that most gun buy back schemes pay according to the type of gun that is being sold.

For example, an AR-15 would bring more than a single shot but still much less than fair market value.

Extremely valuable guns have been sold for just a few dollars and from there, who knows....

Nope. They offer a blanket amount of money. The clods doing the buybacks have no idea what stuff is worth.

The ones I have participated in and are familiar with tend offer the same for a fully functional AR as they do a rusty nonfunctional single shot rifle as they do a homemade zipgun style rifle. Same for handguns a fully functional semi automatic gets the same price as a rusted shut revolver as a single shot homemade pistol. They do tend to offer one price for rifles and and a different for handguns but condition has generally not been a factor. Some others may have had a different experience

The ones I have participated in and are familiar with tend offer the same for a fully functional AR as they do a rusty nonfunctional single shot rifle as they do a homemade zipgun style rifle. Same for handguns a fully functional semi automatic gets the same price as a rusted shut revolver as a single shot homemade pistol. They do tend to offer one price for rifles and and a different for handguns but condition has generally not been a factor. Some others may have had a different experience

Thanks for your input.

I imagine that each gun "buy back" scheme / scam is run differently but wouldn't go near one except to advise those gullible enough to sell a valuable firearm for destruction that they would get closer to the true value from more ethical individuals.

Thanks for your input.

I imagine that each gun "buy back" scheme / scam is run differently but wouldn't go near one except to advise those gullible enough to sell a valuable firearm for destruction that they would get closer to the true value from more ethical individuals.
It’s a good place to get ride of junk guns.

It’s a good place to get ride of junk guns.

At least the few gun buy back programs I've read about pay so little that it costs more in gas money than you get for a junk gun.

Junk guns are at least good as decoys for gun thieves.

At least the few gun buy back programs I've read about pay so little that it costs more in gas money than you get for a junk gun.

Junk guns are at least good as decoys for gun thieves.
Last one I took part in I got $50 a gun not bad for rusted piece of scrap metal, better than the recycle center paid.

I wonder if I would need a permit to do a gun buy back or if I could get a bunch of gift cards and set up a booth in my town, buying guns until I ran out of money. I'd prefer doing them as face-to-face sales but at the "buy back" prices for working guns, even if I had to have my FFL buddy sitting with me (which I would not have to do here - it was just a hypothetical consideration), it would still be a bargain.

Maybe I'll get 10 grand in 100 dollar gift cards, set up a booth, and see what I can get.

Forum List

Back