UPS vs FedEx

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
I’ve got accounts setup for both, so if I’m receiving something from them I get a text on deliveries.

UPS: 100% accurate when they say my package will arrive on X day.

FedEx: 100% INaccurate on when they say my package will arrive on X day.

And I’m not talking about just being off a day. I’m talking dayS.

Time and time again I get a text from FedEx saying my package will arrive tomorrow. I check it’s location and see it’s 1500 miles away. The day of supposed arrival it just says ‘Delayed’. No shit Sherlock. Latest one was a ‘signature required for your package arriving tomorrow’. Good thing I checked! Over 2,000 miles away. And it’s not on a plane heading my way. It’s on a truck, it’s 500 miles closer now.

What happened at FedEx to make them go from great to undependable? Millennials take it over?

I do not think I have had a FedEx package late in more than a year.

Maybe they just do not like you

I’ve got accounts setup for both, so if I’m receiving something from them I get a text on deliveries.

Time and time again I get a text from FedEx saying my package will arrive tomorrow. I check it’s location and see it’s 1500 miles away. The day of supposed arrival it just says ‘Delayed’. No shit Sherlock. Latest one was a ‘signature required for your package arriving tomorrow’. Good thing I checked! Over 2,000 miles away. And it’s not on a plane heading my way. It’s on a truck, it’s 500 miles closer now.

What happened at FedEx to make them go from great to undependable? Millennials take it over?
Tom Hanks retired from there a few years after he got off the island......went downhill after that.

I do not think I have had a FedEx package late in more than a year.

Maybe they just do not like you
Apparently I have a lot of company.
But it would be an honor if they took the time and effort to reprogram my account to always give wrong delivery schedules.

The stuff I get from UPS arrives in a lot better condition for the mosrt part.

Sometimes I wonder if fedex has contests going among the employees to see who can kick the package the hardest.

FedEx Ground is absolutely terrible. Their reliability simply doesn't exist. Their overnite business is fine, their ground business is horrible.
If UPS says it will be there Xday - well over 99% of the time it is there. Fedex? - maybe 70% of the time it is there.
Only one worse is USPS parcel which usually can only give you an idea what day it might get there. Maybe.
Our company uses UPS exclusively. Has for many years. Wouldn't dream of using Fedex Ground.

UPS is far better than FedEx.
I had $300 bucks worth of A5 wagyu steaks overnighted through FedEx by the time they arrived a day and a half later they were room temp.
Thankfully the people I bought the steaks from overnighted some new ones free of charge.
FedEx's excuse? They couldnt get in the gate. Which is complete bullshit considering they get in the gates every fucking day.

Get ready for this, THEY ALL SUCK EGGS.

1. USPS blows. They are cheap, but are total assholes. A few months back, I installed a premium mailbox on my porch where most are on my street to solve a problem eliminating the old mail slot in my garage door that was hard to use. The new location was only a few feet away and the mailman walks right past it to get to the old location! I even called the USPS to let them know so the carrier wasn't surprised. The guy on the phone who answered without even getting any details angrily told me they were going to refuse delivery to my house and hold all my mail.
  2. Fed Ex blows. Last Fall I needed to ship a crate out west and their website said I was all good to go. The driver showed up with a tiny truck to get this big crate but didn't even know, then after loading it on his truck badly and driving away after not being able to answer any questions, came back 30 minutes later to return the crate unable to take it. They were here four times before finally taking it, they delivered it Ground Service in great condition, but then, instead of billing me the $400+ fee, only billed me $50. I never asked why.
  3. UPS blows the big one. Late last year I shipped a few pound box by UPS after their quoting me $17. When they billed my bank though, they debited me $27.00 total in two charges! Of course I saved screenshots of everything. When I called and confronted them, they denied billing me $27 even though it was right on my bank statement going to THEM. I finally had to appeal the charge with my bank to finally get the other $10 back. Add to that if you don't keep shipping with UPS every few months, they write you bitching wanting to close your account.
Good luck.

FedEx Ground is absolutely terrible. Their reliability simply doesn't exist. Their overnite business is fine, their ground business is horrible.

Add to that that while the overnight (airmail express) delivery is great, it is apt to cost you over 4X as much as ground. I think Federal express was really set up as an air express premium carrier and only got into ground truck service to get more business from others and be more competitive, by probably using subcontractors to handle the ground service.

And USPS will 100% put your mail under a porch....

I noticed FedEx sucking during the lockdown. Surprising. “When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight.”, use UPS.

Add to that that while the overnight (airmail express) delivery is great, it is apt to cost you over 4X as much as ground. I think Federal express was really set up as an air express premium carrier and only got into ground truck service to get more business from others and be more competitive, by probably using subcontractors to handle the ground service.
It is in how they pay.
UPS drivers get a base hourly wage that is, on average $3 more an hour than FedX. Then they are paid double, and in some areas triple time over 10 hours.
Fedex ground are independent contractors. On average they earn $150 - $200 less per week than UPS per Indeed.com and glassdoor.
Plus many FedX drivers do not get company benefits until they have been driving for a year.

This is SUPER obvious when you talk to the drivers. With UPS the drivers are really friendly, and have the power to contact customers directly and work out a package delivery that looks wrong. FedEx Ground guys look like meth heads, usually in bad moods and obviously could care less if there is a problem.
FedEx Overnite drivers are all company drivers making more than Ground. Like UPS, they are friendly and helpful

Get ready for this, THEY ALL SUCK EGGS.

1. USPS blows. They are cheap, but are total assholes. A few months back, I installed a premium mailbox on my porch where most are on my street to solve a problem eliminating the old mail slot in my garage door that was hard to use. The new location was only a few feet away and the mailman walks right past it to get to the old location! I even called the USPS to let them know so the carrier wasn't surprised. The guy on the phone who answered without even getting any details angrily told me they were going to refuse delivery to my house and hold all my mail.
  2. Fed Ex blows. Last Fall I needed to ship a crate out west and their website said I was all good to go. The driver showed up with a tiny truck to get this big crate but didn't even know, then after loading it on his truck badly and driving away after not being able to answer any questions, came back 30 minutes later to return the crate unable to take it. They were here four times before finally taking it, they delivered it Ground Service in great condition, but then, instead of billing me the $400+ fee, only billed me $50. I never asked why.
  3. UPS blows the big one. Late last year I shipped a few pound box by UPS after their quoting me $17. When they billed my bank though, they debited me $27.00 total in two charges! Of course I saved screenshots of everything. When I called and confronted them, they denied billing me $27 even though it was right on my bank statement going to THEM. I finally had to appeal the charge with my bank to finally get the other $10 back. Add to that if you don't keep shipping with UPS every few months, they write you bitching wanting to close your account.
Good luck.
yes they are all about the same.....when i was carrying mail the UPS AND Fed X guys would get to the same place that i was at quit often....we would take a break and compare notes....i thing i do know for a fact.....they had just as many problems that the PO had with packages...and i had to deliver many of their packages in residential areas to top it off.....

Forum List

Back