Unschooling

Yup, Skull sounds like just another whiny conservatives that gets mad when facts get in the way of ideology.

Once again I will say I am a true liberal.

What a person teaches or does not teach their children is none of my business. Just as it is none of yours.

And the next time a conservative gets shouted down on campus but a terrorist is welcome we'll revisit the tolerance of universities.

Universities are like anything else.....there are a lot of them and you shouldn't use a broad brush in describing them. Mine taught and expected critical thinking. THAT more than any subject being taught was the REAL lesson.

I was lucky enough to go to all smallish public universities where teaching was the professors' first priority, not research. Sometimes I think the amount of time they have to spend on the teaching part makes a difference in quality and expectations. But that might be for a different thread. ;)

Facts are easily obtained. Last time I checked there were still free libraries in almost every town.

If you think our schools exist to impart facts to students, you are sadly mistaken.

Sorry, you are the one mistaken. What is the purpose then? let me guess,its to brainwash them with liberal ideology :cuckoo:

Usually a prof will preach his particular bent on the world and then expect his students to regurgitate on command.

I've sat through enough under grad and grad courses to know this. Funny you haven't realized it.

Yeah, sure you did. They teach out of textbooks, most of them. Maybe you just went to a shitty school, mine never did such thing. or maybe you just didn't want to believe what you heard so claimed it was spun or a the truth was bent, based on your posts, I bet that's it

not very fucking much.

In fact the most important things with the greatest impact on my life on a day to day basis were things i didn't learn in school.

Speak for yourself, in the sciences and engineering, its very important.

One of my degrees is in electrical engineering.

I could have learned all that on my own by doing nothing more than reading the same text books in the library for free. No university necessary.

OK, putting it that way, that's true. MOst of my learning came out of books. Many of the intro science classes I never went to class, just studied the book. But some people need a teacher and guidanance

One thing they are not being taught is self-discipline. Without that they will probably have difficulties in trying to achieve anything. They are given too many choices and so far have picked the easy options.

What will the parents do when they're older and ready to retire and move on, but their kids still haven't found their niche, and have no training or ambition to find a job--or if they find a job, to keep at it. Work can be tedious and boring--something these kids can't deal with.

I also found it ridiculous to give the kids a choice of what they wanted for breakfast[--and then have doughnuts there! Jeez, my son's nutritional needs were important to me when he was growing up, and if I gave him choices, sugar products wouldn't have been one of them.

Have you heard about this crap?

A so called form of "homeschooling" where you don't teach the kids fuck all.

Brilliant! :rolleyes:

Unschooling: Homeschooling Without Books, Tests or Classes - ABC News

I heard about it, and I think the parents are just LAZY parents. LAZY.

No rules.

No school.

No chores.

Nothing but a life of fun and sleeping and eating and doing whatever the hell the kid wants.

REAL good view on what life is like in the adult world. :eusa_doh:

This is only going to ensure these kids join the 3/2 (three out of 2) Americans who have trouble with fractions, as well as balancing a checkbook--or working for that matter.

Dayam! Some people just should NOT reproduce.

I mean, I defend a parents right to decide their child's education--as long as the child is being EDUCATED. I have no problem with homeschooling or private school, those are good alternative to government schools.

These parents arent schooling AT ALL.

Damn dumbasses.

Last edited:

No rules.

No school.

No chores.

Nothing but a life of fun and sleeping and eating and doing whatever the hell the kid wants.

This is only going to ensure these kids join the 3/2 (three out of 2) Americans who have trouble with fractions, as well as balancing a checkbook--or working for that matter.

I mean, I defend a parents right to decide their child's education--as long as the child is being EDUCATED. I have no problem with homeschooling or private school, those are good alternative to government schools.

Damn dumbasses.

They'll pay for it when the kids are grown and still completely dependent on their parents for their tangible needs. They seem to lack foresight.

Last edited:
Quite an assumption.

many people with nontraditional education are the most creative and productive.

Really?

:rolleyes:

I suppose we oughta close down Universities, except for their Athletic Programs.

You mean those bastions of intolerance to differing opinions. Where diversity is OK as long as you don't disagree with anyone?

And again it is quite a leap to assume I implied that all universities should be closed down. You're usually better than that.

But I will say all the athletic shit should be done away with. Do you attend university tio learn or to play games?

It's called "University" because it's "universal". And that means giving athletes someplace to learn their skills as well as scientists and authors and actors and......

And people call me an "elitist"? Funny.

It will be after they land on the public dole.

Quite an assumption.

Quite an assumption.

You have facts to back that up?

There have been many of the best scientists that didn't finish schooling. I don't know about this day and age, as its crucial to have a degree to prove you actually know what you claim to know. But I'm sure there are some. Thing is, those people tend to be geniuses, not average people, so think its a bit disingenuous to make that claim about universities

A movement to raise more republicans?

Has rdean hacked your account? Cuz that is the kind of stupidity that he is renowned for.

Those people just don't want to teach their OWN children. Republicans want to stop teaching ALL children, unless it's teaching them "mysticism". Then that's different.

No rules.

No school.

No chores.

Damn dumbasses.

They'll pay for it when the kids are grown and still completely dependent on their parents for their tangible needs. They seek to lack foresight.

Yep. Kids will be 40 and still sleeping in at good ole Mom and Dad's until noon every day.

:eek:

so after 13 years of public education and 4 years of univeristy....

you got your first job in the real world....

how much of what you had learned was actually useful....

As and engineer, ALL of it. Especially the college stuff.

You know, that is just pure bullshit. When I attended college, the one thing that my professors ALWAYS pushed on us was critical thinking skills and learning how to anaylize information and come to our OWN conclusions. Were many of them biased in their views? Of course they were, they were human. But they had come to their conclusions thru their own personal critical thinking and saw a large part of their job as teaching their students to do the same thing with whatever subkect they taught.

Yup, Skull sounds like just another whiny conservatives that gets mad when facts get in the way of ideology.

Once again I will say I am a true liberal.

What a person teaches or does not teach their children is none of my business. Just as it is none of yours.

And the next time a conservative gets shouted down on campus but a terrorist is welcome we'll revisit the tolerance of universities.

Some conservatives are terrorists. They lie. They frighten the American people. They intimidate with guns.

not very fucking much.

In fact the most important things with the greatest impact on my life on a day to day basis were things i didn't learn in school.

Speak for yourself, in the sciences and engineering, its very important.

One of my degrees is in electrical engineering.

I could have learned all that on my own by doing nothing more than reading the same text books in the library for free. No university necessary.

You could have learned electrical engineering without going to school?

analog and digital signal processing
including amplification, filtering, modulation and demodulation
the Doppler effect and the Peltier-Seebeck effect and what it is they measure
quantum mechanics and solid state physics
VLSI
macroscopic electrical systems.

And I'm not even an electrical engineer.

And you could teach yourself?

Don't believe it for a second. Not a second. This is something a conservative would write to show how smart they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?

I suppose we oughta close down Universities, except for their Athletic Programs.

You mean those bastions of intolerance to differing opinions. Where diversity is OK as long as you don't disagree with anyone?

And again it is quite a leap to assume I implied that all universities should be closed down. You're usually better than that.

But I will say all the athletic shit should be done away with. Do you attend university tio learn or to play games?

It's called "University" because it's "universal". And that means giving athletes someplace to learn their skills as well as scientists and authors and actors and......

And people call me an "elitist"? Funny.

nobody calls you anything but a hack, hack.

rest easy.

Quite an assumption.

Really?

Spoken with all the confidence of the under-educated.

Really?

Spoken with all the confidence of the under-educated.

spoken with the true elan of the allegedly educated.

kudos

Forum List

Back