Unschooling

You mean those bastions of intolerance to differing opinions. Where diversity is OK as long as you don't disagree with anyone?

And again it is quite a leap to assume I implied that all universities should be closed down. You're usually better than that.

But I will say all the athletic shit should be done away with. Do you attend university tio learn or to play games?

It's called "University" because it's "universal". And that means giving athletes someplace to learn their skills as well as scientists and authors and actors and......

And people call me an "elitist"? Funny.

nobody calls you anything but a hack, hack.

rest easy.

Wow, you have more positions than the Kama Sutra.

It's called "University" because it's "universal". And that means giving athletes someplace to learn their skills as well as scientists and authors and actors and......

nobody calls you anything but a hack, hack.

rest easy.

Wow, you have more positions than the Kama Sutra.

yes, i'm quite limber.

Have you heard about this crap?

A so called form of "homeschooling" where you don't teach the kids fuck all.

Brilliant! :rolleyes:

Unschooling: Homeschooling Without Books, Tests or Classes - ABC News

I heard about it, and I think the parents are just LAZY parents. LAZY.

No rules.

No school.

No chores.

Nothing but a life of fun and sleeping and eating and doing whatever the hell the kid wants.

REAL good view on what life is like in the adult world. :eusa_doh:

This is only going to ensure these kids join the 3/2 (three out of 2) Americans who have trouble with fractions, as well as balancing a checkbook--or working for that matter.

Dayam! Some people just should NOT reproduce.

I mean, I defend a parents right to decide their child's education--as long as the child is being EDUCATED. I have no problem with homeschooling or private school, those are good alternative to government schools.

These parents arent schooling AT ALL.

Damn dumbasses.

They'll pay for it when the kids are grown and still completely dependent on their parents for their tangible needs. They seek to lack foresight.

Actually, they're paying local taxes for it now.

It will be after they land on the public dole.

Quite an assumption.

many people with nontraditional education are the most creative and productive.

Quite an assumption.

You have facts to back that up?

For example the nontraditional Waldorf educational methods.

Creative Thinking Development of Waldorf School Students
Waldorf Education, founded by Rudolf Steiner in 1919, is based on the philosophy of critical idealism, in which teachers assist in the natural unfolding of children's preexistent possibilities. But because there has been little research on Waldorf Education, few data have been gathered on the effectiveness of its teaching methods and organizational structure, or on students achievement. An international study was conducted to determine if there was a significant difference between the creative thinking ability of Waldorf students and state school students in England, Scotland, and Germany. The hypothesis was that disparate educational practices in Waldorf and state schools were influenced by disparate educational philosophies. The sample consisted of 1,165 third through sixth grade children--479 English, 193 Scottish, and 493 German students. The findings obtained from administration of the Torrance Test of Creative Thinking Ability, suggested that Waldorf students were more creative than their state school peers. Particular credit for this was given to the maturational-readiness and nurturing curriculum of the Waldorf Schools, which includes: having the same teacher follow students from grades 1 to 8; de-emphasis on academic performance in early grades; use of art in instruction; and other teaching and curriculum considerations.

I know it's hard for you to believe that government run schools are not really that great at teaching kids to do anything. But then government schools never taught you to really think did they?

Maybe if you were the product of a more unique and eclectic educational experience you would be a more creative thinker

Really?

:rolleyes:

I suppose we oughta close down Universities, except for their Athletic Programs.

You mean those bastions of intolerance to differing opinions. Where diversity is OK as long as you don't disagree with anyone?

And again it is quite a leap to assume I implied that all universities should be closed down. You're usually better than that.

But I will say all the athletic shit should be done away with. Do you attend university to learn or to play games?

Nice try but you failed again.

universities do not offer degrees in football do they? People do not go to university to "learn" sports.

Last edited:
Really?

I suppose we oughta close down Universities, except for their Athletic Programs.

You know, that is just pure bullshit. When I attended college, the one thing that my professors ALWAYS pushed on us was critical thinking skills and learning how to anaylize information and come to our OWN conclusions. Were many of them biased in their views? Of course they were, they were human. But they had come to their conclusions thru their own personal critical thinking and saw a large part of their job as teaching their students to do the same thing with whatever subkect they taught.

Some people seem to have a problem with that.

not very fucking much.

In fact the most important things with the greatest impact on my life on a day to day basis were things i didn't learn in school.

Speak for yourself, in the sciences and engineering, its very important.

One of my degrees is in electrical engineering.

I could have learned all that on my own by doing nothing more than reading the same text books in the library for free. No university necessary.

I'm sure your employers would agree.

Speak for yourself, in the sciences and engineering, its very important.

One of my degrees is in electrical engineering.

I could have learned all that on my own by doing nothing more than reading the same text books in the library for free. No university necessary.

You could have learned electrical engineering without going to school?

analog and digital signal processing
including amplification, filtering, modulation and demodulation
the Doppler effect and the Peltier-Seebeck effect and what it is they measure
quantum mechanics and solid state physics
VLSI
macroscopic electrical systems.

And I'm not even an electrical engineer.

And you could teach yourself?

Don't believe it for a second. Not a second. This is something a conservative would write to show how smart they are.

Just because you cannot read and comprehend what is in a text book does not mean others are similarly handicapped.

Last edited:
Really?

But I will say all the athletic shit should be done away with. Do you attend university tio learn or to play games?
Spoken with all the confidence of the under-educated.

Two bachelors' and a masters' degree have I.

BTW my combined GPA for all my college course classes is 3.8.

And you know what, it was easy.

Sorry, you are the one mistaken. What is the purpose then? let me guess,its to brainwash them with liberal ideology :cuckoo:

Usually a prof will preach his particular bent on the world and then expect his students to regurgitate on command.

I've sat through enough under grad and grad courses to know this. Funny you haven't realized it.

Yeah, sure you did. They teach out of textbooks, most of them. Maybe you just went to a shitty school, mine never did such thing. or maybe you just didn't want to believe what you heard so claimed it was spun or a the truth was bent, based on your posts, I bet that's it

Truth.

Hah.

Have you ever taken philosophy? the prof basically tells you what he thinks a philosopher said and you have to puke it back up on an exam.

You can learn the truth on your own. the misconception is that people believe that formal education somehow has a monopoly on the truth.

It's sad really.

Usually a prof will preach his particular bent on the world and then expect his students to regurgitate on command.

I've sat through enough under grad and grad courses to know this. Funny you haven't realized it.

Yeah, sure you did. They teach out of textbooks, most of them. Maybe you just went to a shitty school, mine never did such thing. or maybe you just didn't want to believe what you heard so claimed it was spun or a the truth was bent, based on your posts, I bet that's it

Truth.

Hah.

Have you ever taken philosophy? the prof basically tells you what he thinks a philosopher said and you have to puke it back up on an exam.

You can learn the truth on your own. the misconception is that people believe that formal education somehow has a monopoly on the truth.

It's sad really.

Ugh, philosophy is so friggen pointless, I took it for the easy required class, and did well since all you needed to know was how to bullshit. as a scientist, couldn't stand philosophy cause you can think up whatever you want and argue it but without proving any of it, its meaningless. And in my classes the professors often let students interpret what the philosophers were saying and contribute in class, it wasn't just listen to me, this is the way it is.

Truth.

Hah.

It's sad really.

Ugh, philosophy is so friggen pointless, I took it for the easy required class, and did well since all you needed to know was how to bullshit. as a scientist, couldn't stand philosophy cause you can think up whatever you want and argue it but without proving any of it, its meaningless. And in my classes the professors often let students interpret what the philosophers were saying and contribute in class, it wasn't just listen to me, this is the way it is.

Taking a class in philosophy is pointless.

reading the works of great thinkers without having to take the preconceived answers you need to placate a prof into account is quite another experience altogether.

Hmm, I'm pro-homeschooling (have the T-shirt myself), but I'm a little leery of this "unschooling movement." Some of it is attractive, but a lot of it is well...very suspicious.

I'm not sure why many of you have turned this into a philosophical debate about "higher" education, which I agree with Skull is highly overrated.

The point here is that these kids aren't even learning the basics.

All the textbooks in the local library don't mean shit if the kid can't fucking read in the first place. And if he can't add, subtract, multiply and divide, he's gonna have a helluva time teaching himself calculus.

I'm not sure why many of you have turned this into a philosophical debate about "higher" education, which I agree with Skull is highly overrated.

The point here is that these kids aren't even learning the basics.

All the textbooks in the local library don't mean shit if the kid can't fucking read in the first place. And if he can't add, subtract, multiply and divide, he's gonna have a helluva time teaching himself calculus.

Who needs the basics? Why do pole dancers need to read?

Skull has discovered that MANY without traditional educations are VERY creative.

Forum List

Back