UN Security Council rejects US resolution to extend Iran arms embargo

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The U.N. Security Council on Friday rejected a U.S. resolution to extend a thirteen-years-old arms embargo on Iran due to expire in October -- a move that will likely result in the Trump administration attempting to extend the embargo unilaterally.

The short resolution, which would have extended the embargo “until the Security Council decides otherwise,” mustered only two votes in the chamber -- the U.S. and the Dominican Republic. It needed nine to pass, and even if it had gained that many, would likely have been shot down by a veto from China and Russia.

Not sure how this helps anyone but China and Russia except they are................closer.

The rest of the world is tired of us. This isn't just about Trump, it's about the last few decades but Trump most certainly hasn't made it any better.

Specifically, U.N. Resolution 2231, which enshrined the deal, includes a snapback mechanism that allows an individual nation to re-impose expiring sanctions on Iran -- including the arms embargo. Although the U.S. left the Iran deal, it claims to still retain rights under 2231 and is likely to seek to use that power.

Well it does reflect that the US is no longer viewed as a world leader especially under Trump who again shot themselves in the foot by leaving the Iran deal. If Trump had stayed in the deal he could re-impose sanctions.

This gave a change for China and Soviet Union to vote no to the resolution. I can see why China would but Soviet Union. I thought Trump was on good terms with Putin but Putin just shoots him in the back. The other nation who are allies sustained from voting.

Clear message that Trump is a failure as a world leader. The US cannot be trusted by allies with Trump at the helm.

The rest of the world is tired of us. This isn't just about Trump, it's about the last few decades but Trump most certainly hasn't made it any better.
It's the last freaking century of Wilsonian progressive warmongering and meddling that the world is tired of....Trump is merely the latest one to be stuck with the flaming sack of shit.

Not blaming or excusing him, just sayin'.

It's the last freaking century of Wilsonian progressive warmongering and meddling that the world is tired of....Trump is merely the latest one to be stuck with the flaming sack of shit.

He didn't start or create the problem but he has become part of the problem.

Fuck the United Nations it's time for the US to pull out and kick the UN out of NYC. The UN could do like the League of Nations and have their headquarters in Switzerland.

Holding the office and not having a program to bring the troops home and end the foolhardy wars makes one a part of the problem by default.....So there's no arguing that point.

Even so, he's the first prez in my lifetime to act on the urge to bring troops home from places where the wars have been over for decades, while not escalating the quagmires left to him......Though he hasn't been doing so at any sort of rate that I find to be satisfactory,

Last edited:

Holding the office and not having a program to bring the troops home and end the foolhardy wars makes one a part of the problem by default.....So there's no arguing that point.

Even so, he's the first prez in my lifetime to to act on the urge to bring troops home from places where the wars have been over for decades, while not escalating the quagmires left to him......Though he hasn't been doing so at any sort of rate that I find to be satisfactory,

In other scenarios or other presidents you may have a point. The problem here is Trump says all sorts of things and takes both sides of an argument so you really can't take any of it seriously.

Trump is the most unserious president of my lifetime. Obama is a very close runner up.

Even so, he's the first prez in my lifetime to to act on the urge to bring troops home from places where the wars have been over for decades, while not escalating the quagmires left to him......Though he hasn't been doing so at any sort of rate that I find to be satisfactory,

In other scenarios or other presidents you may have a point. The problem here is Trump says all sorts of things and takes both sides of an argument so you really can't take any of it seriously.

Trump is the most unserious president of my lifetime. Obama is a very close runner up.
He certainly has been talked into and out of things that are head scratchers.....I was all for pulling out of NATO and letting it collapse, as the cold war is over and Europe can be left to defend itself...Getting conned to attacking Syria in the wake of two false flags was ridiculous, especially the second time.

Long and the short of it is it's my opinion that he's getting some very poor advice from people whom he has foolishly been led to trust.....Not giving him a pass at all, because he has allowed himself to get manipulated over and over again...Just pointing out some marginally mitigating factors.

He certainly has been talked into and out of things that are head scratchers.....I was all for pulling out of NATO and letting it collapse, as the cold war is over and Europe can be left to defend itself...Getting conned to attacking Syria in the wake of two false flags was ridiculous, especially the second time.

Long and the short of it is it's my opinion that he's getting some very poor advice from people whom he has foolishly been led to trust.....Not giving him a pass at all, because he has allowed himself to get manipulated over and over again...Just pointing out some marginally mitigating factors.

I don't believe he takes advice from anyone.

Right....Mattis and Bolton were just there to put butts in seats for cabinet meetings, that that goof Jared is just there to bring him covfefe.

He's taking advice alright, and a lot of it is seriously bad.

Right....Mattis and Bolton were just there to put butts in seats for cabinet meetings, that that goof Jared is just there to bring him covfefe.

Trump only hires the best.

Trump only hires the best.
Yeah, well we both know that was a crock the moment it crossed his lips...I personally never trusted Pence any farther than I could throw him....But there it is.

Forum List

Back