Ty Cobb - was he really a good guy?

Come on you millennial moronic mess, disinfoagent 911, let's hear from yuh.

This quote is good...

"Ty Cobb getting a walk is more exciting the Babe Ruth hitting a home run."

Said by a sportswriter in Cobb's day.

Cobb was an asshole

You and i never met the man and since everybody is a liar, it's tough to say what he was like.
You can be an asshote and I don't have to meet you to know the truth of that.

You're a fool who believes everything he's told.

rightwinger and jake are lovers,they lie all the time when they are wrong.rightwinger goes around saying the rams are going to be playing in stlouis this year STILL.:rolleyes: amazing this place lets trolls like him roam this board.every member should put him on ignore.same as his lover jake.
disinfoagent911 continues to troll his lies on the board. :rolleyes: the bad appel agent 911 knows nothing about baseball and less about football.
coming from the troll who defends agent rightwinger who LIES everyday saying the rams will be in saint louis this year.:haha:

So much of the Cobb hate comes from the famous At Stump article written in 1961. Author of the 2015 book on Cobb says Stump was just a hack writer who made things us.

http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Imprimis-March-2016.pdf

Ty Cobb was one of the greatest baseball players of all time and king of the socalled Deadball Era. He played in the major leagues—mostly for the Detroit Tigers but a bit for the Philadelphia Athletics—from 1905 to 1928, and was the first player ever voted into the Hall of Fame. His lifetime batting average of .366 is amazing, and has never been equaled. But for all that, most Americans think of him first as an awful person—a racist and a low-down cheat who thought nothing of injuring his fellow players just to gain another base or score a run. Indeed, many think of him as a murderer. Ron Shelton, the director of the 1995 movie Cobb, starring Tommy Lee Jones in the title role, told me it was “well known” that Cobb had killed “as many as” three people. It is easy to understand why this is the prevailing view. People have been told that Cobb was a bad man over and over, all of their lives. The repetition felt like evidence

It started soon after Cobb’s death in 1961, with the publication of an article by a man named Al Stump, one of several articles and books he would write about Cobb. Among other things, Stump claimed that when children wrote to Cobb asking for an autographed picture, he steamed the stamps off the return envelopes and never wrote back. In another book—this one about Cobb’s contemporary Tris Speaker—baseball historian Timothy Gay wrote (implausibly, if you think about it) that Cobb would pistol-whip any black person he saw on the sidewalk. And then there were the stories about how Cobb sharpened his spikes: before every game, numerous sources claim, he would hone his cleats with a file.
Cobb was a great ball player and not nearly the bad guy he has been portrayed to be.

He played for over 20 years and still had a lifetime batting average of .366. That is truly AMAZING!!! Still a record today and not likely to ever be broken. He stole 2nd, 3rd and home in the same inning several times during his career!!! Unbelievable.

My grandfather saw him play and always said there will never be a better baseball player than Ty Cobb.

I too read the article in Imprimis. I may get the book.
dont waste your time,all propaganda from a cobb apologist is that writer.great player,but evil man who hurt people. the fact that disinfo agent jakey snakey troll posted it is ALL THE PROOF IN THE WORLD,its B.S.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Cobb was a magnificent ball player, a terrible human.

see if you would make more accurate statements like this here you wouldnt be the troll everyone calls you out on because THIS is a truthful statement you're making.thats what i got done saying,very good player,but a terrible human.a terrible human because he purposely tried to hurt people sliding in with his spikes at infielders.got it? good.

No one calls me out for making truthful statements, which I have done about Cobb.

A great ball player, a terrible human being.

Like you, for instance, who can be fun but is hindered with a paranoid and fearful mind.

You and i never met the man and since everybody is a liar, it's tough to say what he was like.
You can be an asshote and I don't have to meet you to know the truth of that.

You're a fool who believes everything he's told.

rightwinger and jake are lovers,they lie all the time when they are wrong.rightwinger goes around saying the rams are going to be playing in stlouis this year STILL.:rolleyes: amazing this place lets trolls like him roam this board.every member should put him on ignore.same as his lover jake.
disinfoagent911 continues to troll his lies on the board. :rolleyes: the bad appel agent 911 knows nothing about baseball and less about football.
coming from the troll who defends agent rightwinger who LIES everyday saying the rams will be in saint louis this year.:haha:

I am glad you agree with me that it IS funny that you show how stupid you are being friends with rightwinger who LIES all the time about the rams when he knows he is wrong.:up: i agree that IS funny that you like a lying troll like that.:up:

No one calls me out for making truthful statements, which I have done about Cobb.

A great ball player, a terrible human being.

Like you, for instance, who can be fun but is hindered with a paranoid and fearful mind.

see that is the opposite of what you have said many times in the past,many times in the past you said that he did not intentionally try and hurt people.:rofl:

you can STILL be a great player and go out and intentionally hurt people,just makes you a terrible human being as you put it so well.:D Him intentionally sliding into bases with his spikes up to hurt players doesnt take away the fact that he could hit against the greatest pitchers.:D

just because he was a great hitter,doesnt mean that the criminal terrible human being,belongs in the hall of fame though.,thats alll a little too complicated for YOU to understand though as everybody who has ever tried to debates you knows.:D

Go ahead and lie, disinfoagent911, that's OK, that's what we expect. Go back and read. I have said Cobb was a great player and a terrible human being.

All attacks aside for a moment, 911.

Do you have a reading disability, dyslexia, for instance?

You do have a problem, very bad on occasion, in understand what others are writing.

Cobb was an asshole

Who among Cobb's contemporaries attended his funeral? Who mourned him dead? Cobb burned every bridge and probably a few crosses too.
Read the articled posted in the OP. It offers considerable FACTUAL data on Cobb, some of which refutes your opinion of him.
problem is with that propaganda piece in that link there is like i said before,I have seen a pic at this other message board i post at where it refutes that show an actual pic of him extending his leg out sliding into the catcher to purposely hurt him.:biggrin:

unlike agents jakey snakey and rightwinger,I dont lie either as you well know.this weekend when I have the time, I will try and find that pic and post it here.

Cobb was an asshole

Who among Cobb's contemporaries attended his funeral? Who mourned him dead? Cobb burned every bridge and probably a few crosses too.
Read the articled posted in the OP. It offers considerable FACTUAL data on Cobb, some of which refutes your opinion of him.
problem is with that propaganda piece in that link there is like i said before,I have seen a pic at this other message board i post at where it refutes that show an actual pic of him extending his leg out sliding into the catcher to purposely hurt him.:biggrin:

unlike agents jakey snakey and rightwinger,I dont lie either as you well know.this weekend when I have the time, I will try and find that pic and post it here.
It is not propaganda.

Cobb was a great ball player and not nearly the bad guy he has been portrayed to be.

He played for over 20 years and still had a lifetime batting average of .366. That is truly AMAZING!!! Still a record today and not likely to ever be broken. He stole 2nd, 3rd and home in the same inning several times during his career!!! Unbelievable.

My grandfather saw him play and always said there will never be a better baseball player than Ty Cobb.

Only knock (and it's a big one) i have on cobb is that he never did much in post-season. Was in 3 WS and his team lost all 3 and cobb hit poorly.

Had the greatest nickname in BB history. The Georgia Peach.

Cobb was a magnificent ball player, a terrible human.

Walter Johnson told my grandfather, no relation of his, that his greatest regret in not throwing bean balls was not throwing one at Cobb.

Is that because he hated cobb or because cobb was just such a great hitter.?

Forum List

Back