Ty Cobb - was he really a good guy?

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
So much of the Cobb hate comes from the famous At Stump article written in 1961. Author of the 2015 book on Cobb says Stump was just a hack writer who made things us.

http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Imprimis-March-2016.pdf

Ty Cobb was one of the greatest baseball players of all time and king of the socalled Deadball Era. He played in the major leagues—mostly for the Detroit Tigers but a bit for the Philadelphia Athletics—from 1905 to 1928, and was the first player ever voted into the Hall of Fame. His lifetime batting average of .366 is amazing, and has never been equaled. But for all that, most Americans think of him first as an awful person—a racist and a low-down cheat who thought nothing of injuring his fellow players just to gain another base or score a run. Indeed, many think of him as a murderer. Ron Shelton, the director of the 1995 movie Cobb, starring Tommy Lee Jones in the title role, told me it was “well known” that Cobb had killed “as many as” three people. It is easy to understand why this is the prevailing view. People have been told that Cobb was a bad man over and over, all of their lives. The repetition felt like evidence

It started soon after Cobb’s death in 1961, with the publication of an article by a man named Al Stump, one of several articles and books he would write about Cobb. Among other things, Stump claimed that when children wrote to Cobb asking for an autographed picture, he steamed the stamps off the return envelopes and never wrote back. In another book—this one about Cobb’s contemporary Tris Speaker—baseball historian Timothy Gay wrote (implausibly, if you think about it) that Cobb would pistol-whip any black person he saw on the sidewalk. And then there were the stories about how Cobb sharpened his spikes: before every game, numerous sources claim, he would hone his cleats with a file.

Was Ty Cobb an evil bastard?

In my opinion yes, but Babe Ruth was a drunk, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Roger Clemens were all cheats, and with that a good majority of Pro-Players are assholes and some of thing about Cobb might be fictional but he was an asshole when he was alive but a very smart one at it, and would most likely be a Trump voter if alive today...

Only Ted Williams rivals Cobb as a pure hitter. If he had the five seasons that he gave to the Marines in WWII and the KW, he would have probably hit more than 3400 hits, 725 doubles, 725 home runs, 2600 RBIs, and had a BA of over .350.

Last edited:

In my opinion yes, but Babe Ruth was a drunk, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Roger Clemens were all cheats, and with that a good majority of Pro-Players are assholes and some of thing about Cobb might be fictional but he was an asshole when he was alive but a very smart one at it, and would most likely be a Trump voter if alive today...

Cheats?? Baseball is a cheaters paradise. Do you condemn spitball throwers and bat corkers? How about the phantom tag at second base? Why is Gaylord Perry in the HOF when he was the biggest cheater in history?

Cheats?? Baseball is a cheaters paradise. Do you condemn spitball throwers and bat corkers? How about the phantom tag at second base? Why is Gaylord Perry in the HOF when he was the biggest cheater in history?
That was probably John McGraw.

I love the bit about sharpening the spikes on his shoes!

what a fucken bastard.
he was a fucking bastard alright.there is this one photo i have seen of him flying through the air and has his leg out and purposely trying to hurt the catcher.i saw it at this one site,hopefully i can find it again.

Cobb was an asshole

You and i never met the man and since everybody is a liar, it's tough to say what he was like.
You can be an asshote and I don't have to meet you to know the truth of that.

You're a fool who believes everything he's told.

rightwinger and jake are lovers,they lie all the time when they are wrong.rightwinger goes around saying the rams are going to be playing in stlouis this year STILL.:rolleyes: amazing this place lets trolls like him roam this board.every member should put him on ignore.same as his lover jake.

Cobb was for sure an evil bastard.Thats why the hall is a joke that that evil man who purposely tried to seriously hurt people sliding in with his spikes upwards at the shortstop is allowed in the hall of fame.there was this one book written that tried to say it was all myths but that was propaganda written by someone who got paid a big sum to print those lies obviously .

very little about cobb was fictional on how he purposely tried to seriously hurt people on the basepaths. those current members you mentioned are for sure cheaters,they have tainted the game same as the cheatriots have tainted the sport of NFL football.

So much of the Cobb hate comes from the famous At Stump article written in 1961. Author of the 2015 book on Cobb says Stump was just a hack writer who made things us.

http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Imprimis-March-2016.pdf

Ty Cobb was one of the greatest baseball players of all time and king of the socalled Deadball Era. He played in the major leagues—mostly for the Detroit Tigers but a bit for the Philadelphia Athletics—from 1905 to 1928, and was the first player ever voted into the Hall of Fame. His lifetime batting average of .366 is amazing, and has never been equaled. But for all that, most Americans think of him first as an awful person—a racist and a low-down cheat who thought nothing of injuring his fellow players just to gain another base or score a run. Indeed, many think of him as a murderer. Ron Shelton, the director of the 1995 movie Cobb, starring Tommy Lee Jones in the title role, told me it was “well known” that Cobb had killed “as many as” three people. It is easy to understand why this is the prevailing view. People have been told that Cobb was a bad man over and over, all of their lives. The repetition felt like evidence

It started soon after Cobb’s death in 1961, with the publication of an article by a man named Al Stump, one of several articles and books he would write about Cobb. Among other things, Stump claimed that when children wrote to Cobb asking for an autographed picture, he steamed the stamps off the return envelopes and never wrote back. In another book—this one about Cobb’s contemporary Tris Speaker—baseball historian Timothy Gay wrote (implausibly, if you think about it) that Cobb would pistol-whip any black person he saw on the sidewalk. And then there were the stories about how Cobb sharpened his spikes: before every game, numerous sources claim, he would hone his cleats with a file.
Cobb was a great ball player and not nearly the bad guy he has been portrayed to be.

He played for over 20 years and still had a lifetime batting average of .366. That is truly AMAZING!!! Still a record today and not likely to ever be broken. He stole 2nd, 3rd and home in the same inning several times during his career!!! Unbelievable.

My grandfather saw him play and always said there will never be a better baseball player than Ty Cobb.

I too read the article in Imprimis. I may get the book.

Cobb was an asshole

You and i never met the man and since everybody is a liar, it's tough to say what he was like.
You can be an asshote and I don't have to meet you to know the truth of that.

You're a fool who believes everything he's told.

rightwinger and jake are lovers,they lie all the time when they are wrong.rightwinger goes around saying the rams are going to be playing in stlouis this year STILL.:rolleyes: amazing this place lets trolls like him roam this board.every member should put him on ignore.same as his lover jake.
disinfoagent911 continues to troll his lies on the board. :rolleyes: the bad appel agent 911 knows nothing about baseball and less about football.

Cobb was a magnificent ball player, a terrible human.

Walter Johnson told my grandfather, no relation of his, that his greatest regret in not throwing bean balls was not throwing one at Cobb.

Forum List

Back