TULIP (God calls some to atheism)

He found me in the Catholic faith, one of my daughter's best friends in the Hindu faith; some lovely young men in the Muslim faith, and the ones in my family who are atheist.
So atheists not only have some kind of "faith" now, but it also involves "God." Wow, your "Love" message is so on display here!

Odd that you have no opinion. Why believe what Jesus claimed and not believe what Muhammud claimed?
I have studied the Bible. I have lived the Bible. This is my focus. Your questions are better addressed by someone who has studied the Quran, has lived the Quran, and knows the original languages, culture, and history.
Interestingly, the people who have studied, lived, practice the religions and philosophies of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Greek and Roman pantheons and any number of other religions make claims to the authority of their Gods, customs and practices as having precedence over yours.

So atheists not only have some kind of "faith" now, but it also involves "God." Wow, your "Love" message is so on display here!
You misunderstand. Atheists do not have faith. Doesn't mean God can't meet them where they are.

Interestingly, the people who have studied, lived, practice the religions and philosophies of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Greek and Roman pantheons and any number of other religions make claims to the authority of their Gods, customs and practices as having precedence over yours.
That's nice. It may even be true. As I noted God has worked with me where was/am.

Is that a claim?
Grumblenuts, as you know that was not great bait to begin with, and it now even more rancid and unappealing. I doubt there will be a nibble, but who knows, patience may win out. ;)
Sorry, what I find really unappealing is people who simply can't admit being wrong. Even provided reminders and easy opportunities to do so.. Repeatedly.. It's revolting actually :)

My comments, left unaddressed, were with regard to the historical fact of people who used religion and appeals to supernatural Gods as a means for control, for power and for material gains.
So what? Just because some could use religion for their own ends is not exactly unknown. Even back thousands of years there are passages in the Bible that warn of wolves in sheep's clothing; of those pasturing themselves on their sheep. Your observation is not anything new, anything not known. It has been known for thousands of years. It is good to avoid those wolves, those who pasture themselves.

Should all religion be abolished because of this? Should the baby be thrown out with the bath water?
"So what'', seems a bit dismissive of the human (and animal), slaughter brought forth by wars and conquest under ''the Gods...... "'.

Anyway, I never advocated abolishing any or all religions. Curiously, and in a historical sense, the dynamic of abolishing competing religions seems to be a function of religions.

And again if we take a historical (as opposed to hysterical, perspective), we see that wolves in sheep's clothing is a theme that people and groups of people have used to coerce behavior under the guise of "it's what the Gods have commanded''. Unfortunately, history shows us humans can ve convinced that a litany of human-attributed descriptions of Gods, add a "super" in front of them, and the populace can be convinced that lopping off the heads of the competing believers is ''what the Gods demand'.

Last edited:
And again if we take a historical (as opposed to hysterical, perspective), we see that wolves in sheep's clothing is a theme that people and groups of people have used to coerce behavior under the guise of "it's what the Gods have commanded''. Unfortunately, history shows us humans can ve convinced that a litany of human-attributed descriptions of Gods, add a "super" in front of them, and the populace can be convinced that lopping off the heads of the competing believers is ''what the Gods demand'.
And?

And?
And... while the histories of religions may make believers uncomfortable, it is a history that cannot be dismissed, so, lets just ignore it.

Ax we know that the angel Gabriel revealed to Muhammud what was to become the politico-religious ideology of Islam and the final message from God to include the corrections to Christianity, when are you going to convert?

I'd say the vast preponderance of evidence pointing to there never having been anything supernatural means no rational excuse remains for believing in gods. Religious belief has obviously served as a convenient drug / pacifier for many people, the results of which can be fine or horrible. In any case, it's highly distracting and never necessary.

And... while the histories of religions may make believers uncomfortable, it is a history that cannot be dismissed, so, lets just ignore it.
Exactly. History cannot be dismissed. These things happen. They are recorded as happening. There is a difference between ignoring something and moving on and also recognizing the goodness that comes through faith as well.

What do you think can stop some from using religion to control others?

A news story yesterday broke my heart. A mother stabbed all three of her young children to death. Should we do away with mothers? Should we do away with knives? Should no one have children? Fire is used for many good things, except there are those who use fire to destroy. Do we discuss doing away with fire, be highly suspicious of those firing up their barbecue?

There are many good things in this world, maybe all good things, that can be used for evil. Does this make us uncomfortable or are we aware that most of us use good things for good, but that we need to remain watchful of those who may have evil in mind? Remaining watchful does not mean that we glare at every mother we see, just in case she might be on of the very rare mothers who kills her child.

Ax we know that the angel Gabriel revealed to Muhammud what was to become the politico-religious ideology of Islam and the final message from God to include the corrections to Christianity, when are you going to convert?
There are many revelations. My advice is for people to choose one that speaks to them, and live it.

Exactly. History cannot be dismissed. These things happen. They are recorded as happening. There is a difference between ignoring something and moving on and also recognizing the goodness that comes through faith as well.
Hollie mocks your argument and you reply "Exactly."? Masochist much? Then you just double down on Pick and choose.. pick and choose..? ..flowers and rainbows.. bunnies and butterflies.. no harm to see over there.. move along.. what could possibly go wrong?.. one can simply ignore all those nasty bits that make decent people really uncomfortable and focus solely upon the juicy bits that I've convinced myself are good and therefore define the whole..
There are many revelations. My advice is for people to choose one that speaks to them, and live it.
Pick and choose.. pick and choose..
That's your fundamental claim?
Well la dee da.

Oh... so you want to define God by the Bible that you don't believe
Correct. I specifically mentioned the God character of the Bible. I promise you are the only frustrated, dense person here that had to have this explained to him.
First of all that would be illogical. Secondly, your interpretation of anything spiritual in nature isn't just questionable, it is objectionable. So that would be a massive waste of time because nothing you asserted would be accurate or what I believe. You aren't just intellectually dishonest. You are outright dishonest. Atheism doesn't produce intellectuals. It produces future communists.

Yes, instruction. Some people such as yourself may have a hard time understanding that successful behaviors naturally lead to success - which is what this instruction is ultimately saying - so they have to be reminded.
Yes, instruction. Some people such as yourself may have a hard time understanding that successful behaviors naturally lead to success - which is what this instruction is ultimately saying - so they have to be reminded.
- a true symptom of an unrepentant heart chastising an innocent victim. used over and over again.

... no, not rape - you're a tease. the christian mogul. bing.

certainly the 1st century knew the difference.

Forum List

Back