Trump Wants To Use U.S. Nuclear Submarines To Threaten Russia

In the event of a missile emergency in port (or on the surface), all sub launched missiles had a procedure to eject the missile from the tube towards something less expensive to destroy. The idea was to list (angle) the boat and use the steam generator to pressurize the tube and eject the missile from the tube. The rocket motor wouldn't ignite, but the missile would go far enough away that the chemical explosion of the rocket (hopefully) wouldn't destroy the sub or damage the warheads enough for the release of radioactive materials.

This looks like they used that same procedure for a surface launch. As long as the missile is out of the tube when the rocket motors are ignited, the sub would be, relatively safe.

I can see from that pic why they chose not to use that form of launch ever since the deployment of sub-launched ICBMs.
I agree that it doesn’t look like the best way to launch.

However I have heard a Trident D5 can hit Russia even if in port. Obviously the facility the Trident sub was at would be a target and it would take a while for a sub to get underway.

That led to my comment about launching while in port.

I agree that it doesn’t look like the best way to launch.

However I have heard a Trident D5 can hit Russia even if in port. Obviously the facility the Trident sub was at would be a target and it would take a while for a sub to get underway.

That led to my comment about launching while in port.

Yes, I got that. Fun fact. Back in my sub days, American FBMs were forward deployed to Holy Loch, Scotland. The Poseidon C3 we had at the time could have hit Moscow without even leaving Scotland.

Now, the boats are in King's Bay, which is well in range of Moscow with the D5.

That would suit me fine, spending 110 days submerged in The Arctic Ocean waiting to destroy Russia was boring. Of course, spending 110 days in Dunoon, Scotland would have been worse.

The former president recommended sending American nuclear weapons into Russian waters on Monday after recently claiming he wants to avoid a world war.

Former President Donald Trump suggested Monday that the U.S. threaten Russian President Vladimir Putin with American nuclear submarine patrols, which would likely dramatically escalate global tensions amid Russia’s ongoing assault on Ukraine.

“You should say: ‘Look, you mention that word one more time and we’re gonna send [submarines] over and we’ll be coasting back and forth, up and down your coast,’” Trump said in an appearance on Fox Business, continuing a tour of media appearances to downplay his questionable record on Russia and Ukraine.

Earlier in the interview, the former president bizarrely described nuclear weaponry as “the n-word… the nuclear word.”

Trump’s suggestion would be dangerous. If Washington sent nuclear submarines into Russian waters, Putin would likely see that as an intolerable provocation. He would almost certainly react with a greater threat or even an attack on U.S. assets, sparking a domino effect that could lead to war between two of the world’s strongest militaries.

Because of his preference for military showboating and his deep-rooted desire to project strength, Putin is extremely unlikely to see a move like the one Trump suggested as a reason to behave less aggressively.

I'm sure President Biden has plenty of nuclear power on standby. What do you think?

This can't be true, trump is putins buddy, right????

I would think the new Columbia class subs could launch their Trident II D5LE payload in relatively shallow water, given the upgrades to the missile compartment (which it shares in common with the UK's new Dreadnought class ballistic subs)
They could which would be utterly stupid and suicidal.

A sub needs very deep water with a lot of contour on the bottom to evade detection and destruction following a launch.

The launch depth for all sub-based ICBMs is relatively shallow compared to the sub's test depth. But you can't launch any sub-based ICBM from the surface.
True, it's just suicidal to come into shallow waters for a launch.

Yes, I got that. Fun fact. Back in my sub days, American FBMs were forward deployed to Holy Loch, Scotland. The Poseidon C3 we had at the time could have hit Moscow without even leaving Scotland.

Now, the boats are in King's Bay, which is well in range of Moscow with the D5.

That would suit me fine, spending 110 days submerged in The Arctic Ocean waiting to destroy Russia was boring. Of course, spending 110 days in Dunoon, Scotland would have been worse.
I just hope we never have to use the missiles on the Trident subs. That means I hope Putin is truly sane and is just acting and the leaders in Iran are also sane.

Actually the newer Trident II D5 ballistic missiles, which are currently carried by Ohio class subs (SSBN-734 and later) and the upcoming Columbia class subs, are rated for first-strike, counterforce, and second-strike capabilities. And the ongoing D5LE program is intended to bring further upgrades to the guidance and reentry systems for the Trident II, enhancing all three of those capabilities.

... AND, if this gets approved (was proposed by the NNSA near the end of Trump's term, not sure where it stands now), we may soon be outfitting the D5LE with a new nuclear warhead dubbed the W93 with a new Mk7 reentry vehicle. Most notably, the W93 will be lighter than the current W76 warheads with a higher-yield payload, allowing it to go farther and faster, and it will have next-gen guidance to better evade missile defense systems and hit precision targets from a greater distance.

While we're on the subject, it's worth mentioning that the Navy is also currently developing a new nuclear armed cruise missile dubbed SLCM-N (sea launched cruise missile), which is slated to be deployed on Virginia class attack subs. That was another project proposed during Trump's term, but I recall reading that it did get funding approval last year. But that's not slated to be ready until around 2030 or so, IIRC.
They have been capable as first strike weapons since the first subs started carrying Nukes but strategically their purpose was to go deep on a warning order in the event the enemy launches a first strike then come to launch depth just long enough to launch a counter strike.

Since they are so hard to track and detect that was and remains an enormous defensive/preventive deterrent.

The difference in flight times from a sub launch vs ground launch here in the US is only a matter of seconds so there's no particular advantage in using a sub for a first strike launch.

So while in port you couldn’t launch your missiles if we were attack unless you got on way and submerged?
1st, in port you have no targeting data.

2nd, the reactors are shut down and electrical power is from the shore or the submarine tender.

3rd, the entire sub does upkeep and maintenance during the short turnover period. The systems may not even be capable of launching anyway.

I just hope we never have to use the missiles on the Trident subs. That means I hope Putin is truly sane and is just acting and the leaders in Iran are also sane.
Oh he's sane, maniacal, calculating and an evil son of a bitch. Definitely not stupid, or crazy enough to destroy his own country and himself over Ukraine.

They could which would be utterly stupid and suicidal.

A sub needs very deep water with a lot of contour on the bottom to evade detection and destruction following a launch.
You think the Russki attack subs would be in a position to attack? After launching, you go deep and make like a huge hole in the water. Our subs are so quiet, chances are you would collide with it without even knowing it was there.

I would think the new Columbia class subs could launch their Trident II D5LE payload in relatively shallow water, given the upgrades to the missile compartment (which it shares in common with the UK's new Dreadnought class ballistic subs)
The Columbia wont be in the water for years, it is still in pieces all over the east coast.

The former president recommended sending American nuclear weapons into Russian waters on Monday after recently claiming he wants to avoid a world war.

Former President Donald Trump suggested Monday that the U.S. threaten Russian President Vladimir Putin with American nuclear submarine patrols, which would likely dramatically escalate global tensions amid Russia’s ongoing assault on Ukraine.

“You should say: ‘Look, you mention that word one more time and we’re gonna send [submarines] over and we’ll be coasting back and forth, up and down your coast,’” Trump said in an appearance on Fox Business, continuing a tour of media appearances to downplay his questionable record on Russia and Ukraine.

Earlier in the interview, the former president bizarrely described nuclear weaponry as “the n-word… the nuclear word.”

Trump’s suggestion would be dangerous. If Washington sent nuclear submarines into Russian waters, Putin would likely see that as an intolerable provocation. He would almost certainly react with a greater threat or even an attack on U.S. assets, sparking a domino effect that could lead to war between two of the world’s strongest militaries.

Because of his preference for military showboating and his deep-rooted desire to project strength, Putin is extremely unlikely to see a move like the one Trump suggested as a reason to behave less aggressively.

I'm sure President Biden has plenty of nuclear power on standby. What do you think?

What a moron....did he get that advice from Kid Rock?

Trump is just softening him up for when he gets back into office. He will be clear from day one that it is no longer the Biden administration so don't talk shit.

You think the Russki attack subs would be in a position to attack? After launching, you go deep and make like a huge hole in the water. Our subs are so quiet, chances are you would collide with it without even knowing it was there.
The Russian subs (most of them) are rusting in port....and have been since the collapse of the USSR.

Oh he's sane, maniacal, calculating and an evil son of a bitch. Definitely not stupid, or crazy enough to destroy his own country and himself over Ukraine.
That’s what I suspect too. At least I hope Putin is just bluffing about using nukes.

I haven't forgotten anythign and our own Intel people knew there was an ongoing epidemic in China weeks before the Chinese announced it.

The Wuhan lockdown began in mid January at which point the Chinese could not longer even pretend there wasn't an epidemic.

We know now their first cases were identified in November.
I realize your purpose in whining about what happened two years ago is to deflect attention from the wreck in the Oval Office. Frankly, you just look goofy.

Nancy Pelosi visits San Francisco’s Chinatown to encourage people amid fears of coronavirus

by: Charles Clifford
Posted: Feb 24, 2020 / 05:57 PM PST / Updated: Feb 24, 2020 / 05:57 PM PST

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was in San Francisco on Monday spending several hours visiting Chinatown to encourage people to visit the shops and restaurants there amid fears of the coronavirus.

Business in Chinatown has really slowed down over the last month, mainly due to concerns about the coronavirus.
Pelosi did a walking tour of the area starting in the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Shop.

She also visited several other businesses and talked to people.

Neighbors, including the owner of the cookie shop, who says the last month has been difficult.

“Business is slow. People don’t want to come, they are scared,” Kevin Chan said.

Pelosi also took this opportunity to encourage people to come back to Chinatown.

“You should come to Chinatown. Precautions have been taken by our city. We know there is concern about tourism throughout the world but we think it’s very safe to be in Chinatown and hopefully, others will come,” Pelosi said.

Nancy Pelosi visits San Francisco’s Chinatown to encourage people amid fears of coronavirus

###

WATCH: NYC Mayor de Blasio Gets Nailed for Telling New Yorkers to Ignore the Wuhan Coronavirus
Beth Bauman
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 1:35 PM

On Sunday, CNN's Jake Tapper put New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) on blast for telling New Yorkers not to worry about the Wuhan coronavirus. Tapper played four separate clips of de Blasio encouraging New Yorkers to go about their daily lives, even as recently as March 13th, less than two weeks ago.

"In retrospect, is that message, at least in part, to blame for how rapidly the virus has spread across the city?" Tapper asked.

De Blasio instantly deflected.

"You know, Jake, we should not be focusing, in my view, on anything looking back, on any level of government right now," the mayor explained. "This is just about how we save lives going forward. We are all working – everybody – is working with the information we had and trying, of course, to avoid panic.

###

Published March 18, 2020
WHO haunted by January tweet saying China found no human transmission of coronavirus

The World Health Organization (WHO) is now haunted by a tweet it sent earlier this year when it cited Chinese health officials who claimed there had been no human transmissions of the novel coronavirus within the country yet.

The Jan. 14 tweet came less than two months before WHO declared COVID-19 to be a global pandemic.

"Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China," the organization had said.

It also relied on information from Chinese health authorities who have been accused of obscuring facts and figures during the course of the outbreak.

WHO haunted by January tweet saying China found no human transmission of coronavirus

Forum List

Back