Trump has gone CRAZY IVAN on Tariffs--trade war in process, look out below consumers!

You're full of shit tariffs built this country ...

No tariffs didn't build this country dumbass, they almost destroyed it during the Great Depression.

Reading hasn't killed anyone yet, an economic lil Einstein genious like you might want to try it with these two links.

th

The Great Depression Lesson About ‘Trade Wars’
The Smoot-Hawley Tariff and the Great Depression | Theodore Phalan, Deema Yazigi, Thomas Rustici

So tell us how did the federal government raise money before the 16th amendment?

Income Tax Form, 1913. Record Group 56, General Records of the Department of the Treasury, Entry 357A, Internal Revenue Division, Income Tax Forms. Passed by Congress on July 2, 1909, and ratified February 3, 1913, the 16th amendment established Congress's right to impose a Federal income tax.
16th Amendment to the US Constitution: Federal Income Tax ...
Our Documents (.gov) › doc
MORE RESULTS

You seriously need to read the rest of the constitution. Taxes are in a couple different parts of that document other than the 16th Amendment. That Amendment is only for income. Not other taxes and levies that are imposed on the nation to pay our debts.

Learn about the taxing and spending clause of the constitution:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence[note 1] and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Then there's Article I Section 9 that allows the states to impose a tax on immigrants.

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

I don't understand why you brought that up in this thread. Income taxes really don't have much to do with trade and tariffs.

If you want that amendment repealed go for it. Lobby your congress person to repeal that amendment.

See how far you get.

I have no problem paying more for imports if it means Americans can make more income and pay less in necessities such as rent and food.

... tariffs do for foreign companies what domestic taxes do for american companies

BMW for example exports more cars from the USA than it imports cars into the USA. I heard it is the greatest exporter of cars of the whole USA, although it is a German company. So what has BMW to do now? I see only the way that BMW has to reduce the production of cars within the USA. 25% higher tariffs for steel mean higher costs and higher prices. Perhaps the people in the USA are able to pay higher prices - but who else in the world will do so? The politics of Trump means no one who makes products with steel within the USA is able to sell this US-American products any longer in the big world markets. On the other side have the US-taxpayers to pay higher prices for military weapons from the USA for example. … Hmm … Is within the USA really anyone thinking this will help the US-American economy or the US-American national defense system? Why makes someone such a counterproductive politics? Is Mr. president Trump senile? Or calculates he only with profits for his own personal Trump empire?

Last edited:
The idea that these tariffs are some sort of national security safeguard is ludicrous. One of the largest, if not the largest, nations affected by these tariffs is Canada. Do people really think it likely that we will soon go to war with Canada?

Forum List

Back